I'm a lost cause.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
This bloody weather is putting the lid on any immediate hopes of wetting a line. Up at four this morning to be greeted by strong winds and a coating of the white stuff.
So once again I'm resorting to my comfort zone of sorting through the mountain of tackle that I have accumulated over the years. I'm sure there will be something that needs my attention. Sadly I am unable to whip rods now, which used to be a joy, even though I know I have at least five iconic cane rods that need a little attention. Frustrating in the extreme, I suppose I need to be amongst the things I hold dear. My youngest son is calling round later today, who is also an angler, I'll persuade him to go up into the loft to see what goodies he can find that haven't seen the light of day for over thirty years.
In the meantime I'll content myself sorting through old photographs and diaries, and compare some of the old fish and fishing venues from back in the day to how they are now.
Yes, I feel better already, even though you may consider me a lost cause. So my question to you is, when everything conspires to prevent you from getting out, how do you utilise the time?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
it has to be pretty bad to stop me getting out, cold and wind I can put up with its when you add rain to it that stops me....normally if I cant get out I have a lazy day doing very little, its when I know im going out I will sort the kit out.

i'm a lost cause as well as I find very little interests me as a hobby other than fishing

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Same here for me. Been busy making pike traces, made enough to last me a lifetime! Also spending far too much time (and money) trawling through Ebay looking for cheap lures and flies, dangerously addictive.:eek:mg:

seth49

Reaction score
Not to bad really, I have most of my tackle in the spare bedroom, so I just go in there when I’ve done any chores the wife wants doing, I have a table with good lighting to do hook lengths, carp rigs, etc.

Also clean and lubricate my reels, refill with line etc, I just bought my first cane rod, so I’ve been cleaning the cork handle, have found the the white foam blocks, sold as eraser foam do a good job, clean the cork but don’t damage it, and have rewhipped a couple of eyes which needed doing, going to use it this year, and then strip and redo the whippings and varnish next year.

I’ve also got a tv and blue ray player in there, and a google chrome cast gadget which lets me stream utube videos to it from my iPad , and a Bluetooth speaker for music.

And I’ve a bookcase with fishing books and dvds in, as well.
It’s my sanctuary, and I love being in there, always something to do.??

steve2

Reaction score
I have interests outside of angling that fill my time. Ballroom and Latin Dancing, Photography, Bird watching, walking or Gardening are enough to keep the not angling blues away.

mikench

Reaction score
Ditto save for the dancing lark! Just waiting the call from son that first grandchild is on the way and then it's a quick trip to see him, wife and baby! For quick trip read 7.5 hour flight:(

Can't be expected to do much baby sitting though:rolleyes:

nottskev

Reaction score
Yesterday was the long-threatened sort-out of all the half-used pellets and groundbait littering the shed bait-cupboard.

cup.jpg

But that's enough of the tidying up for now. Today I have the classic shelf to put up, some good fiction half-read and a bone to pick with a large well-known media company and their ever-increasing bills.

seth49

Reaction score
What did you get? I'm always curious about other people's cane rods!

Not one hundred percent sure, but after hours of looking online, the traditional fisherman’s forum etc, the one that it looks most like it is the Edgar Sealey rover,
The length, action, handle and ferrules all match one another, so unless I find out any different, that’s what I’m calling it.

It’s in very good condition, straight as a die, and the cane is still firm with no set, the cork-handle doesn’t show much use either. It has been re varnished after a fashion, so no name on the rod anywhere, and not the original bag.

But it’s a rod I can use, will try it in the margins, with a pin, my Adcock Stanton looks well on it, and a small porcupine quill float, for crucian and silvers, should be fun, and that’s what it’s all about.

Last edited: