Car park charges and the affects to angling.

Reaction score
I have fished on the river Ivel at Biggleswade since I was my teenage years,the car parking is fairly limited,one being the Dan Albone car park, near the mechano bridge,the other being the Mill Lane car park,I received a message Sunday informing me that a notice had gone up(A4 size)stating that Biggleswade Town council were intending to put metres in(there has never been a charge previously) both,Mill Lane becoming a short stay,with a maximum of 3hrs,the Dan Albone car park being a maximum stay of 9hrs,with no return within 4hrs,now this seems fine,until you work out you need to arrive ear!y at times(7am at the moment)to ensure a goodish peg,plus as is often the case,you need to be there last knockings for best results,now you'd have to pack at 3pm to stand a chance of getting away by 4pm,a sad time indeed.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
It's killing the fishing in Oxford, I went to the odaa agm the other night and this year it is a matter of urgency to start a dialogue with the council. Matches on the the canal and Thames are really struggling now because of it.

Martin salter did a lot of work recently in reading gaining access for anglers and apparently he did very well, so hats off to him. The secretary spoke to him a while back about it and hopefully we can get Martin to help us in Oxford.

Philip

Reaction score
I suspect the solution will be to create yet another layer of burocratic administration with the goal of fleecing more money off the public.

How about the creation of an an EAPP or "Extended Angling Parking Permit" ?

Yes thats right, for a mere additional £30 a year you can buy a small sticker that you put in your windscreen that allows you to park your car beyond the 9hr limit. Of course you still need to pay the parking fees as well....

Lovely

Reaction score
It is where they pick this 9hr figure from that puzzles me,as during the winter although I'm not fishing anything like 9hrs,I have to be parked up for longer,on the Mill Lane car park you have to be parked by 7.30am to get a space,this is due to shop workers,who will also be shafted by having to pay and more by the 3hr limit,it does seem as I get closer to retirement,the venues I would be likely to fish in winter become more inaccessible, it looks as if I will be forced onto Stillwater's earlier than I thought and not by the expected immobility due to wear and age,but through our councils need to acrue more funds...

steve2

Reaction score
It's not just councils that charge my local parks run by Essex County parks all now charge for parking at a rate of £1-50 an hour up to a maximum of £6 all day. Parking was free until they took over the running. Add to this the £6 day ticket or £100 a year and it’s not a cheap days fishing.
They say all the charges are there to help with the health and safety of park users.

I have asked them why there is an additional charge for fishing and not for other park users I am still waiting on an answer.

john step

Reaction score
Is the Sainsburys carp park convenient to the river at Biggleswade? Do they have restrictions?

Reaction score
It isn't too far away John but I think when they see people loading up with tackle and disappearing for hours,they might put some ruling in if they haven't already got something in place...sods law.;)

ravey

Reaction score
Nottingham city has gone the same way, and now charge for parking on a Sunday. The formerly free parking on Nottingham's Trent Embankment has gone as well.

steve2

Reaction score
Round my way most supermarkets seem to have a 3 hours parking limit with no return within 2 hours. DIY stores only give you 90 minutes have been caught out on that one. £120 pound fine or half if you pay up quickly.

nottskev

Reaction score
Nottingham city has gone the same way, and now charge for parking on a Sunday. The formerly free parking on Nottingham's Trent Embankment has gone as well.

I've lived here for more than 10 years, and I've yet to fish the Fed Stretch of the canal at the law courts and London rd as it's so hard to avoid yellow lines, meters and private car parking. I can remember when urban canals were the most accessible waters for locals; not any more.

ravey

Reaction score
Hi Nottskev. Sundays used to be OK as you could park on single yellow lines without getting a ticket, but sadly no longer the case.