Graphite Poles ??

magicone

Reaction score
Are Graphite poles as heavy as some say. ?

As a OAP I can't afford silly money for a Carbon Pole.

Seen a Daiwa Tornamax 13mtr pole advertised and which I believe is Graphite or other.

Most likely I will never use the full 13mtrs but its seems to be in good condition with several top kits for a very reasonable price.

thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
Graphite and carbon are effectively synonymous when it comes to rods and poles. The only good reasons for a pole described as being graphite being heavier than one described as being carbon is if it is made from a lower quality material, has thicker walls or is of greater diameter. The use of the word graphite was far more prevalent in the eighties than it is now.

If the word "composite" was thrown into the mix, it might be a different story. Some old poles were made of a composite. Occasionally, very low budget modern poles are made of a composite. These composite poles are usually much heavier than a graphite/carbon poles of similar proportions.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
what budget do you have and how far you intending to fish? poles can be relatively cheap nowadays especially if you buy used.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Magicone,
the only references I can find for the Daiwa Tournamax pole is that it was current in around 2003. By 2005, some retailers were clearing them at around the hundred pounds mark. Unfortunately, I can find no hint as to the material it's made from.

I've no knowledge of the pole, but I very much doubt that it's worth much at all. That's not to say it will be unusable, but I've seen people give away newer, and more expensive, budget poles because it's too much hassle to sell them for the pittance they bring in.

nottskev

Reaction score
If you post a bit more detail about what you want the pole for, what length you're likely to fish at most often, and how much you're prepared to spend, you'll probably get some good suggestions and recommendations.

Sorry - just duplicated Jason's post

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have just been in an Angling Direct shop not far from where I live, they had a 10 metre Sensas pole in there at £100, which seemed a decent price for it, depending on your budget you could go for second hand one for the price you are willing to pay for a new one, if you do this take someone with you who knows what to look for ie cracks inside the ends of sections, how worn the joints are.. if you are unsure yourself, Think of where you are going to fish and how far out,and what species you are targeting. if your maximum distance is 11 metres it is not worth buying 16 metres,and if carp are main target don't go for a dedicated match pole. also go for a good brand whether buying new or second hand such as daiwa and see how many topkits you get with it,

Last edited:

magicone

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

Depending where I fish I would use either a rod or pole.

Some venues have an Island which are beyond a 13mtr pole, so a rod would be used or another may have a Canal where maybe a 11 or 13mtr pole could be used and another may be open water where either rod or pole could be used.

I mostly fish maybe once a week for Carp up to approx. 10/12lbs or any other fish that maybe at the venue. And they're all Day ticket waters, no rivers.

I have an old Dam 11mtr pole (Prestons 17 Hollo Yellow elastic) which I think is a fibre glass type of construction, but only has one top kit and another shortened to approx. 3mtr (Diawa 16/20 Red) which I use for the margins.

Although these give no problems its nuisance having to change the rigs for different depths where as extra top kits they could be rigged ready for use.

As for budget £150/200 as its purely for pleasure and I'm not an all weather fisherman.

Most of the various place where you may look online for a Pole do not specify its construction as to whether its a composite or carbon or whatever.

thanks

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Magicone, at that price have a look for an SR3 Daiwa on ebay or similar sites, or possibly a Maver, they are carbon, another thing to consider is weight, one pole may feel heavy before put together but could be better balanced than one that feels lighter, take your seatbox with you when you go to buy a pole, you will get a better feel for it than stood up holding it, also check the elastic rating

sam vimes

Reaction score
thanks, but this is a Daiwa 13m Tornamax[/B, I'm only assuming its a graphite construction I could be totally wrong.

Yep, Tournamax or Tornamax brings up the same references, just the former being an, obviously common, spelling error. It's probably down to owners wishfully thinking that they have something related to a Daiwa Tournament pole.

As I said earlier, graphite or carbon are interchangeable. They both mean the same thing. It largely comes down to the age of a rod or pole as to whether it's described as being graphite or carbon.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Most modern day poles are of carbon construction, for your budget there are a few poles on ebay, you may have to sacrifice length for topkits depending on the pole and package, these are 2nd hand poles.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If your pole is still usable and you are happy with it apart from lack of top kits, why not save your money and get a couple of universal top kits, there are a few brand name ones on the market now, they have a reinforced end to cut back to it and have different internal diameters to suit different poles, ie 18mm 21mm

magicone

Reaction score
If your pole is still usable and you are happy with it apart from lack of top kits, why not save your money and get a couple of universal top kits, there are a few brand name ones on the market now, they have a reinforced end to cut back to it and have different internal diameters to suit different poles, ie 18mm 21mm

thanks I've looked at that,

My problem is that the top 3 kit size is nominally 18mm od as its a push-in (male) meaning the pole is the female, oppose using a 18mm id push over (female) where most poles are male.

But cannot find any.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Are you asking the same question on Maggot Drowners forum under a different name ? If not some else has a D.A.M pole but theirs is carbon and put in joints with the same problem you are having .