A good days fishing?

steve2

Reaction score
How do you judge a good days fishing? Is it just by the number and size of fish caught, being out on the bank, the company on the day or being on your own?
If I were to say the just number and size of fish I would have few good days now.
Having not fished since November just being out on the bank would make the day a good day to me.

mikench

Reaction score
A new species makes my day as does a nice example of another even if only one! In addition setting out for roach and catching roach makes my day! I am easily pleased! I must be because I am playing with a robot vac bought as a pressie for me by my daughter! I ask for fishing tackle and she buys me a vac!:confused:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There's good days and bad days fish wise but never a bad day really, plenty to enjoy about fishing, company, the crack, if on on your own, plenty of time to contemplate or enjoy the nature. I see the odd rare bird or just get a nice picture or something. the peace and quiet is worth a few points as well.
I used to fish with a group of friends quite a lot and if they caught nothing they would moan all the way home, what they spent etc. I used to just let them get on with it and think of all the things I had enjoyed in the day. PJ has the right idea, sit and have a coffee afterwards and think about whats been learned; not a bad idea.

nottskev

Reaction score
How do you judge a good days fishing? Is it just by the number and size of fish caught, being out on the bank, the company on the day or being on your own?

I'd say they all play a part at different times. It's rare I don't feel a fishing session has been good - and then, it's probably because I feel I didn't fish very well and didn't make the most of it.

The scale of a "good" catch is all relative to where you're fishing, and a modest catch can still be great if you like the place and the method.
Good company only improves the day, for fishing and social reasons.

Going fishing always feels like a liberation. When I get out of the car, pick up the tackle and head off to the bank, I still have a slight sense of disbelief - what, all I have to do for a few hours is fish? Feels like playtime.

rayner

Reaction score
I enjoy being on my own, iPod makes it easy to avoid what can only be called pests.
A few fish and I'm happy. Of course numbers count for a lot to me but they are not as important as they used to be.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Far more chilled out these days, nice weather, a few hours on the jetty, sit back have a coffee, do the crossword, have a chat with the day trippers, have a fight with the seagulls, an occasional glance at the rod tip, watch the kids with drop nets pull up more than me, watch the professionals pump out feathers all day wiping their brows, been there done that, bag of chips on the way home, another fight with the seagulls. I think if I caught a fish it would spoil the day, I might have to expend some energy and the heart might not take it.

Last edited:
B

binka

It's very simple for me.

It's no longer about the number or size of fish, it's far more about doing what I want to do in the particular way that I want to do it and using the particular gear I want to use on any given day.

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with your above post Steve,my biggest pleasure these days is feeling I made my tackle perform as I wanted,a few decent fish makes it brilliant,meeting with friends on the bank,anglers or not makes it all the more pleasant and stopping fishing whilst chatting is no real loss,as I have all day to fish.:)

B

binka

my biggest pleasure these days is feeling I made my tackle perform as I wanted

I'm really struggling to resist that one Alan but I will let discretion play the better part of valour :D :D :D

mikench

Reaction score
It's very simple for me.

It's no longer about the number or size of fish, it's far more about doing what I want to do in the particular way that I want to do it and using the particular gear I want to use on any given day.

It's a good job you're Hardy Steve!:wh

Reaction score
I'm really struggling to resist that one Alan but I will let discretion play the better part of valour :D :D :D

It was intended as a dual meaning post, sadly these days my non-angling tackle takes a bit of waking up...:rolleyes:

Keith M

Reaction score
If I were to say the just number and size of fish I would have few good days now.
Having not fished since November just being out on the bank would make the day a good day to me.

A good days fishing to me is a day spent on a good stretch of water catching the species and size of fish that I set my stall out for.

Filling keepnets with pasties (or anything else) on a crowded commercial fishery just doesn’t float my boat any more; I would much much prefer having a pleasant days fishing on a beautiful remote estate lake targeting a few Tench and Crucians, or on a remote stream catching Barbel and Chub; this is my idea of a good days fishing as long as I’ve caught a few decent sized fish.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
It was intended as a dual meaning post, sadly these days my non-angling tackle takes a bit of waking up...:rolleyes:

I do like innuendo Alan! My wife asked me to give her an example of an innuendo so I gave her one!:rolleyes:

john step

Reaction score
Just the usual ones like everyone else with the proviso its a day somewhere pleasant and green. I could't be bothered with those town stretches with all concrete and buildings as per some canal fisheries even if they can be more productive in winter.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
A new species makes my day as does a nice example of another even if only one! In addition setting out for roach and catching roach makes my day! I am easily pleased! I must be because I am playing with a robot vac bought as a pressie for me by my daughter! I ask for fishing tackle and she buys me a vac!:confused:
Get your own back, buy her a frying pan next birthday.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
I think if you enjoyed it then it was a good day.

Catching is important for me however so usually a good day conincides with a good catch as well be that numbers of fish or a large fish or perhaps a new species.

Last edited: