Whip rigs

mikench

Reaction score
I must be senile because I have bought a cheap 5m telescopic whip to try out! I have read PJ's blog on the subject but my question relates to pre-tied rigs!

I assume I can use the whip at 5m or 4m or 3 m by removing sections and so I need to have a line and hooklength combined of 5 or 4 or 3 m to be able to swing to hand !

So do I make up on winders say a length of line and hooklength 5m long with pole float attached? I have several pole rigs but no idea of size and length bought in my ignorant bliss period ( I think I have progressed beyond it now) and never used!

The last bit of whip has an eye on it which I assume is a flick tip! Do I simply tie on my line length to it ?

carlosd

Reaction score
I must be senile because I have bought a cheap 5m telescopic whip to try out! I have read PJ's blog on the subject but my question relates to pre-tied rigs!

I assume I can use the whip at 5m or 4m or 3 m by removing sections and so I need to have a line and hooklength combined of 5 or 4 or 3 m to be able to swing to hand !

So do I make up on winders say a length of line and hooklength 5m long with pole float attached? I have several pole rigs but no idea of size and length bought in my ignorant bliss period ( I think I have progressed beyond it now) and never used!

The last bit of whip has an eye on it which I assume is a flick tip! Do I simply tie on my line length to it ?

Yes you should be able to remove the sections you don't wish to use but do this before setting up.

I've always bought Rigs from my local shop which should attach to the pole via sliding the plastic on the tip.

I have also made my own rigs depending on where I have fishes and attached them to my spare winders.

If I was you I would just go and buy some Ready Rigs from your tackle shop and see how you get on

Carl

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Cut the eye off, and go to tackle shop and get a stonfo connector to fit, that will make putting and taking rigs of much easier, as for length of rig you need them around half a metre shorter than the length of the whip, this is to compensate for the slight bend in the tip when you swing the fish in, if you want to fish at shorter lengths you would have to remove sections and the same principle of line to whip ratio applies, Ideally a tele/take apart whip is better, you can use that as a short pole as well, If you want to fish at different lengths you could always buy 3 & 4 metre whips and set them up with the 5 metre. Google whip fishing and you will get a good idea on casting feeding swinging fish in etc,
you can buy ready made pole rigs, but not all are suitable for pole fishing, some are only 4 metres long and will be to short for a 5 metre whip, the hooks may have to be changed on some, I prefer a long shank hook for whip rigs, I find I hit more bites and unhooking is quicker because you have the whip tucked under one arm while unhooking the fish, the floats on some ready rigs are not suitable, you should be looking at slim floats. I have used some of the Drennan AS series and found them to be good, also made some rigs up with a small waggler fished bottom end only for difficult conditions,

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I make all my own whip rigs which are made at different lengths to suit whatever whip I chose on the day.

I make the line length shorter than the length of the whip as I need to b able to swing the fish "to hand" without having to reach high or lo to hold the fish.

For most venues you know the average size of the target g
fish so it is easy enough to make the rig length to the correct size.

It does mean, obviously, that you will end up with a good few rigs, but then, that is not a bad thing ;)

You can obviously add a length of line to a rig so if you fish mostly at 4m you can easily add metre on for a 5m whip.

I tend to keep the rigs as simple as possible; a small bulk and usually just a single dropper shot usually suffices.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mike, once you get the hang of it and find you like it, look on the "for sale" sites such as ebay, gum tree, pre loved etc for a daiwa system whip, either the Harrier, or SR3 . I have the SR3 it is a good set up, spares are still obtainable if required, Middy do something similar, I think the Middy one is more geared up to bigger fish than the Daiwa.

nottskev

Reaction score
You can use pole floats, of course, Mike, of whatever size and design fits the bill. But it's often better to whip fish with a little waggler - you can sink the line - there might be a few feet above the float in shallow swims - and it makes everything easier to control. If you're using a little waggler, you be using some kind of quick-change float connector, so when you make up a rig, there's no need to keep the float on it! Just leave the connector in place, locked with small shot or whatever you're using, and put on the right float for the day when you set up.

mikench

Reaction score
Cheers Chaps! How do I measure the size of the tip without a micrometer if I want to fit a stonfo connector? I reckon it's around 1mm! I might just try it as it is and , heaven forbid, if I like it get a better one with an elasticated bit!:)

Does the stonfo fit inside the tip or does it fit over the tip?

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is a third method for attaching the line, this doesn't require gluing a Stonfo onto your tip, it's so easy even I use it:) some say it also prevents tangles at the tip too.

YouTube

I've been fishing a large Stillwater for those beautiful Rudd with the whip and it does get a bit windy so I tend to use waggler floats as already mentioned, also the splash hitting the water attracts a shoal when it's accompanied with a handful of pellets.

I second the Harrier whip, it's a lovely bit of kit, there's one on the bay right now, they sometimes fetch up to £70. A nice way to spend the remaining cold nights making up rigs, much better and more practical than buying ready made which I'm not sure are suited to whip fishing anyway.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks John i will check that method out and see if it is within my capabilities!:rolleyes:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John to save me clicking on you tube link, is it the method of using two pieces of silicone to attach rigs, ? I use that method on one of my whips and stonfo on another,

Yes it is that method.