Do views recorded on threads-

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Reflect the interest the thread holds, or is it purely, at least for some a way to bolster their post numbers?

I say this having noticed over time that few threads stay on topic, before descending into silly banter, at least in my eyes.

Some time ago one member noted, ''unless you are part of the clique few threads are ever fully discussed''.

Intend to go along with this, but what do you think?

thecrow

Reaction score
I think its difficult for most threads to continue only discussing the original subject of the thread, on some threads there is only so much that can be said and without the thread diversions it would just fade away. the one that does stay on topic is the HDYGO thread which wanders now and then but is kept on track by Simon but I cant think of any other ones that do.

I am as bad as anyone for getting caught up in off topic posts but my post count doesn't mean anything to me, in fact a while ago Mike mentioned I had reached 5000 and without him mentioning it I wouldn't have noticed.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Internet forums are a strange media. For the person who is typing the post, it can be very personal, almost like a one-one conversation. For the rest of the readers, it is just one of many messages. Posts tend to wonder off in different directions, and this is good when it is a full discussion between a group of members.

I find the tone/atmosphere of a thread changes when a couple of people who know each other outside the forum, start chatting about a joint experience the rest of us can only imagine. I become disinterested when I am not 'picturing' the same scenario, and I assume it happens to others. I almost start to feel that I have been excluded from the conversation, or that I am intruding in some way. Daft, but that is how our 'British' psychic seems to come through.

Drifting off topic does happen here, but in my experience, it happens far fewer times here than it doses in other places. Mainly due to the fact the content of this forum is far more 'mature' than it can be elsewhere, with fewer members just looking for a cheap jive or seeking out innuendo to be highlighted as if in the school playground.

Ralph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Some threads are really interesting to me, but not to many others. I have no interest in others that many don't seem to be able to get enough of. Just because I like something doesn't mean that I expect it to get much of a response. Just because I'm not interested doesn't mean that I expect a thread to fall flat. There are numerous topics that I'll rarely, or never, post in because I have little or no knowledge of them or I'm simply not interested.

There's little point in second guessing which way a thread is going to go. The exact same thread could easily go in a significantly different way depending on the timing of its posting. Who posts it, and who answers, is also going to play a part.

As far as thread deviation is concerned, it happens. Provided it's not a deliberate derailment, for whatever reason, I don't really mind. I consider it fairly unlikely that a thread is going to go exactly the way an OP might have envisaged at the outset.

As for forum cliques, I pretty much guarantee that anyone an individual considers part of a clique won't think that they are. The reality is that if cliques actually exist, they are purely down to the perspective of an individual viewer. Wherever a certain commonality, on a specific topic, is displayed by a group of posters, someone will see that as a clique. The truth is that such cliques, and their make up, shift like sand in a desert depending on the topic.

As for post count chasers, I'm far from convinced that they genuinely exist. Individuals may question someone's motives for posting when, for whatever reason, they dislike a post, but I very much doubt that anyone posts purely to increase their post count. There's nothing to be gained from having a high post count.

nottskev

Reaction score
I find the tone/atmosphere of a thread changes when a couple of people who know each other outside the forum, start chatting about a joint experience the rest of us can only imagine. I become disinterested when I am not 'picturing' the same scenario, and I assume it happens to others. I almost start to feel that I have been excluded from the conversation, or that I am intruding in some way. Daft, but that is how our 'British' psychic seems to come through.

Ralph.

I wouldn't say it was daft, Ralph - it's a fair comment. I would guess I've experienced it from both sides - watching posters share something between themselves that I'm not in on, and posting comments myself directed to one or two others.

I think that is an inevitable part of this kind of forum, where we are all in some ways a general "public", but many will have a more personal connection to some other posters.

I start off with the assumption that I'll find both things going on, and I think the balance is pretty good, and threads seem to last for a "natural" lifetime.
It doesn't bother me if posters talk to, or argue with, each other for a bit.

A philosopher trying to identify the unspoken rules for good conversation came up with this: make it truthful; make it clear; make it relevant; say no more and no less than the other wants to hear. Plenty of that on here.

Anyway - it's not a work meeting, and I'm glad we don't have moderators continually chiding us for straying off the agenda or messing about in the corner. There is such a thing as the irresponsible playfulness of conversation, and as you say, Ralph, I prefer this forum to ones where a typical exchange goes:

Best heavy feeder rod?
Daiwa all day long.
Tri-cast mate. etc

I also like that posters often write with humour - which is entirely distinct from the dreaded "banter" - usually as amusing as the tedious "wind-up".

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I find that sometimes I have plenty to say and at other times not! I recall reaching 4000 posts and commented on it as that 4000th had little merit, humour, content or value!;) However it was something I never ever thought could occur on any forum. I haven't reached 1000 on several other forums combined in over 15 years!

That is due in no small measure to the people on this forum, their general decorum, interest in the topics and understanding of others. So many posts on other forums descend into anarchy and truculence! I would go so far as to say that some posters on other forums are not nice and certainly not people I would ever want to be friendly with. FM is different and I enjoy it.

Derek if a post does not interest me or bores me as it progresses I do not respond or leave it alone. Few do and I am happy to contribute and hope that imho my sense of humour, reasonable command of English and desire to make a valuable contribution makes a post worth making and following! The entire FM experience is all part of life's rich pageant and a learning curve on a range of subjects whether they be purely fishing related, ie tackle etc, music, food, drink jokes, photos, travel and other areas. Keep it up Derek please:rolleyes:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Interesting point Derek... I think it depends on the thread. So for example, if I started a thread about otters, I'd expect some fireworks. All hell breaking loose, and likely the thread quickly losing it's initial direction as blood pressure rises... :)

However, if I posted something more specific, like "what hooklength works best for wary chub in shallow water over gravel", I might not get the same number of responses. But likely, nearly all of the replies would be focused and on-topic.

Most of the threads I've ever started here have tended to be more like the latter... i.e. has someone else got some expertise I can tap in to help me with a specific angling situation or even geography that I'm not so familiar with.

Likewise, I'm far more likely to respond - providing I think I know the answer - to someone looking for a specific piece of advice.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say it all depends on the content of the thread more than anything else.

Over the years we have had some very long-running threads, e.g., the old Two's Up (football thread) and the old Jokes threads.

The HDYGO thread is a good example of a long running thread with a lot of contributions.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I think it's a bit like a conversation between a group of people - it starts off on topic then gets side tracked , some come back on topic other follow the side track which it's self sometimes gets side tracked
as for humour - the odd bit of banter is welcome by some not so by other (As I've found out myself due to some pm I've had)

sagalout

Reaction score
I only contribute if I have something valuable to say which is not very often because I do not have a wealth of fishing knowledge or I have some highly witty and amusing comment to make.