Laying on?

JW

Reaction score
Sorry if this makes no sense but I'm terrible at putting my thoughts into words, so please bare with me.

So, I only own float tackle as I don't really enjoy watching a tip or listening to an alarm so apart from the occasional attempt at touch ledgering im always trotting a float or fishing the Waggler depending on the swim/flow of the river.

Now on the river I fish (Dearne) there is a few chubby swims consisting of trees and slacks, I understand the best tactic would be feeder or ledger for these particular swims but how would I approach them using float tactics?

Would I use a waggler or lay on a float?

Also, how do I setup a rig to specifically lay on a float, is it like the lift method?

peterjg

Reaction score
Laying on, it's my favourite method but it is restricted to near bank swims - and dependent on rod length. Also it is better if the flow is not too fast. It is not possible to give any hard and fast rules re set up, it totally depends on depth and flow. I suggest that you start off with a peacock float set two foot over depth with two or three BB shot 18 inches from the hook. Cast out, put rod in two rod rests then let out a bit of line so that the float is flat on the surface. Initially a bite is registered by the float shaking - that's because the fish is momentarily dragging the BB shots on the bottom and then the float will shoot under. The float is attached with two float rubbers.

Until you get used to the method start off using maggots, feed with a bait dropper on a cheap whip. I use bread flake a lot with this method.

It's nicer to watch a float than a quivertip but legering is much more adaptable.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Peter has it in a nutshell, I like laying on but try to set a somewhat trotting rig up sometimes, usually with a biggish quill or something equivalent, a medium to large slim cork bodied float can do. Then I can break from trotting and just set the float over depth and do a bit of laying on. You will find experimenting a bit will give you more of a clue as to how much over depth you need to go and shotting the rig etc, a lot depends on flow and depth of the water. If I am trotting and the bites are not happening or the bites go off, sometime switching to laying on will produce, finicky old fish, a static bait on the bottom sometimes does the trick and its always nice to have a float to watch, more sensitive I reckon.
Generally, laying on experts prefer a string of smaller shot rather than fewer bigger shot. I think it lays better that way and you can if you can get the balance just right, you can sort of flick the rod up and move it forward and the lay on rig will just move down a couple of feet; you can do this to inch a bait under a tree or bush for a chub or something. I think they used to call this street pegging. Anyway get the set up right and you can use the rig three different ways without changing anything. All round a nice way to fish in the right circumstances, I think you will enjoy it.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I'm not really sure chub actually like slacks that much,apart from periods of high water,so normally trotting close to the crease is the best method,that is either waggled,stick,Avon even chubber etc,if you want to lay on it is possible if the river isn't too wide, over 15 or so yards,you have to point your rod skywards to keep your line out of the flow and use maybe 2-3 swan shot,I've done it on the H.Avon a few times,hope this is of some help.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I'm not really sure chub actually like slacks that much,apart from periods of high water,so normally trotting close to the crease is the best method,that is either waggled,stick,Avon even chubber etc,if you want to lay on it is possible if the river isn't too wide, over 15 or so yards,you have to point your rod skywards to keep your line out of the flow and use maybe 2-3 swan shot,I've done it on the H.Avon a few times,hope this is of some help.

Fishing such creases I like casting the float (which is set up over depth) into the fast water and let it swing back into the near bank so it settles just on the crease or a bit further. Getting the shotting and depth right is still the key but with trial and error. Even on quite fast water you can lay on in the slacker water off a bend; done it on the Hamp Avon as well, and nice to just sit and watch the float sometimes. A lump of cheese was often my favorite, chub and barbel will take it.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I may have missed this point in one of the previous answers> If so please forgive.
You say waggler or lift. This would presume the wrong type of attaching a float in my opinion.

Attach the float top and bottom for flowing water when laying on.
Tight lines.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
What are the best kind of floats for this method?

You know I am not sure if there is a standard go too float. As John said attached top and bottom, the standard float rubber on top and eye on the bottom is what I use or double rubber. A lot will depend on the flow and depth, the shallower and slower the smaller the float, as you get deeper/faster water a bigger float. A set of quill of various sizes but the biggish ones and or 2 or three cork bodied floats but as slender as they come is best. The idea to have as less resistance to the water from the float as you don't want it swaying from side to side too much if you can avoid it. Personally I like the slender cork bodied ones, not too much cork though; I can trot with these and there is a good bit of tip sticking up at an angle as well when laying on so I can see it well enough. 3 or 4 of these in various sizes will suit most river situations but others may have different preferences.
I set them up with the shot strung out but towards the lower half of the rig so they trot nicely and if I want to lay on change the depth a couple of feet so the shot are strung out on the bottom, you may have to keep altering the depth a bit till it does it right.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
An unweighted porcupine quill takes some beating and if you want to fish after dark a length of plain peacock quill can be squished up on the end to take a sleeve for a night light. This looks great when it wavers and then disappears.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I use this method quite a bit .

All i ever use is the broken off bit of an old quill my favorite one is 4 inches long bright green with orange tips painted on one rubber either end cracker for shy fish with just about enough shot on to sink the bait on still waters on shotted to hold bottom on moving waters ..as has been said 1 to 2 feet over depth .. HTH ...

PG ...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just one thing I forgot to mention JW and Mike. length of rod, if you have to sit away from the bank a long rod might be useful and even on the edge a long rod can be useful for getting that bit further out if necessary. You can lay on more or less under your rod tip but the further away, rod propped up keeping the line off the water, depends on where and what your fishing but something to think about if you do go and try it, but any rod is fine really; 12ft, no problem really
As to rod, mine is a spliced up effort about 14ft long for the river, as to ideal rod, better leave that to those that know more than I do. Sam Vines is pretty hot when it comes to that advice and a few others.

Last edited:

JW

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the replies, I feel a lot more knowledgeable regarding laying on now.
Would this method be good for big roach using a piece of flake on the hook?
Also, where can I acquire some quill floats do they sell them in tackle shops?

Another Dave

Reaction score
Can someone tell me, is the float downstream of the baited hook when the rig is in action?

john step

Reaction score
Would this method be good for big roach using a piece of flake on the hook?

YES

Also, where can I acquire some quill floats do they sell them in tackle shops?[/QUOTE]

EBAY has lots.Some at frightening prices for the old collectors ones. Some cheaper ones on there also.

Reaction score
Can someone tell me, is the float downstream of the baited hook when the rig is in action?

On a double rubber float it depends where you cast and how much lead is down,ie casting the tackle in a line downstream,the baited hook will be downstream of your float.

JW

Reaction score
Will have to keep my eye out for some cheap ones, saw a pack of 5 "Victorian style quills" for 35 quid:eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
Will have to keep my eye out for some cheap ones, saw a pack of 5 "Victorian style quills" for 35 quid:eek:mg:

I personally have none in my float boxes when I am on the bank. If I wanted to lay on I would first try an avon type float to see how I get on.

JW

Reaction score
I personally have none in my float boxes when I am on the bank. If I wanted to lay on I would first try an avon type float to see how I get on.

Oh, I have some Avon's in my float tube so I will try laying on with them when I go tommorow. Would a bog standard stick float work as they're similar in shape to a quill?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What are the best kind of floats for this method?

Mike, i've done quite a lot of laying on and i've found the avon or bolo to be spot on, the carbon stemmed versions (not wire stemmed).
I also liked using a plain white piece of peacock quill if the water wasn't too fast flowing or too deep. The avon bolo floats worked well in either conditions.