Thermal waders

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Anyone remember mukluks thermal waders, they were thigh length with an insulated inner liner. Pretty much like a standard thermal boot today.

Is there anything out there like it still?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
no replies...nobody wading in the cold then? just after something suitable for the job, thought of the sundridge hot foot waders...anyone used them?

thecrow

Reaction score
After your post I did a search and the Sundridge were the only ones I could find, personally I would go for the chesties as they are only £18 more than the thigh wader.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Wading in cold winter rivers is hardly a barrel of laughs, regardless of the waters used. For the little winter wading I do, my preference is for a fairly traditional rubber type wader lined with neoprene. I still feel the cold in relatively short order, but not as quickly as with breathable waders, neoprene booties and wading boots.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've done a lot of wading in winter over the years and have used both neoprene chesties and breathable chesties. I found the breathable waders to be far more comfortable and they felt much warmer! I wore thermal leggings and long over the knee wollen socks under the breathables. Ok you could wear thermals under the neoprenes and I did but they stil didn't feel as warm as the breathables where far less comfy and where horrible to walk in.
Regarding thigh waders, I wear good quality rubber waders and put on thermal leggings and wooly socks.
I really dislike chest waders though and usually wear thigh waders.
In future if I buy any more waders i'm going to try some breathable waste waders with seperate boots as came with my breathable chesties. I also found the felt soled boots far better than rubber soles. I often felt like I was going to be swept off my feet in rubber soled waders in fast water with a rocky substrate but when wearing the felt soles it felt as though I had magnets on my feet!

mikench

Reaction score
I often felt like I was going to be swept off my feet in rubber soled waders in fast water with a rocky substrate but when wearing the felt soles it felt as though I had magnets on my feet!

I recall that feeling!:)