Drennan Snapolytes....

Reaction score
Having read several posts on FM I'm a bit concerned,I was thinking of buying a 13ft Acolyte plus,only to see another post saying someone has broken one,or how prone they are to breaking,is this true???

dave m

Reaction score
a mate mentioned on fb about breaking his while grayling fishing and he had several other people respond that they had also had issues so its defo not a one off...

Reaction score
For lightness for my chub trotting Simon,with a bit of extra power,I don't n-e-e-e-d one,it looks a good option with large fish present,not required for my lake float fishing,as rods spend most time on the rest.

barbelboi

Reaction score
If you use it mainly for trotting Alan you shouldn't have any problems - the tip on my 14' Ultra is perfect after two years hard use, I believe that most breakages are caused by 'line wrap' around the tip which is very unlikely trotting....

sam vimes

Reaction score
Plenty of anecdotes out there to suggest that being wary is sensible. However, I still believe that there's an element of Chinese whispers and second hand reporting exaggerating the issue. I have four Acolytes (only one a Plus) and haven't managed to break one yet. However, I only use them on rivers in conjunction with centrepins. This makes the highly prevalent wrap arounds very obvious. I won't end up casting with a wrap around, which may not be the case if I waggler fished with them.

The other issue I see with the Acolytes is the way people regard and use them. Many seem to think that the Ultra is the standard rod and the Plus a power version. The reality is that the Plus is a standard rod and the Ultra a lighter version. If people thought like that then there may be a few less breakages.

The one thing that isn't helping to establish what's going on is people being vague about the exact rod that they've had break. Many are just saying Acolyte without specifying length or Plus/Ultra. As far as I've heard, the only acknowledged issue has been with the early 15' Ultra.

If you are clumsy, or treat gear harshly, I'd be wary of Acolytes, especially the Ultras. If you expect a Plus to be a power rod, I'd look elsewhere.

Reaction score
But I thought you said the otters had eaten all the large fish?

They have eaten most of the decent barbel,at the moment chub are still about,though not in the numbers or size they once were,on one stretch many six pounders were caught on the float every winter,hasn't been one this year,or maybe there's nothing wrong in fairyland??? Its OK if you want to catch 2oz roach,the furry brigade don't think its worth their while,sadly.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Plenty of anecdotes out there to suggest that being wary is sensible. However, I still believe that there's an element of Chinese whispers and second hand reporting exaggerating the issue. I have four Acolytes (only one a Plus) and haven't managed to break one yet. However, I only use them on rivers in conjunction with centrepins. This makes the highly prevalent wrap arounds very obvious. I won't end up casting with a wrap around, which may not be the case if I waggler fished with them.

The other issue I see with the Acolytes is the way people regard and use them. Many seem to think that the Ultra is the standard rod and the Plus a power version. The reality is that the Plus is a standard rod and the Ultra a lighter version. If people thought like that then there may be a few less breakages.

The one thing that isn't helping to establish what's going on is people being vague about the exact rod that they've had break. Many are just saying Acolyte without specifying length or Plus/Ultra. As far as I've heard, the only acknowledged issue has been with the early 15' Ultra.

If you are clumsy, or treat gear harshly, I'd be wary of Acolytes, especially the Ultras. If you expect a Plus to be a power rod, I'd look elsewhere.

I certainly don't want a power float rod,but I don't want a rod for small fish,I'm not clumsy with my gear,but I don't want a rod snapping willy-nillie.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Might have been my post that you read a while back. My 13ft Acolyte plus broke 6 inches from the tip. Struck when the float went under only to discover it was a snag and not a fish, wasn't a violent strike by any means but a brisk clean snap followed.

Luckily I bought it from my local tackle shop (Blean Angling), the top section was replaced free of charge after a two week wait.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whitty, rest assured the acolytes are superb rods. I've been using them for a few years now and have actually hit and held double figure barbel with them when in a swim with a snag that they're ploughing for.
I've also used them for still water float fishing and have caught lots of nice tench with them and had untargetted carp to over 15lb....the rods worked superbly.
I suppose I should add that my acolytes are pluses except for the 12ft carp waggler which just like the 13 and 14ft accy pluses is a superb rod for both trotting and for still water fishing....jmo of course.

barbelboi

Reaction score
and had untargetted carp to over 15lb....the rods worked superbly.

Me too Ian on my 14' Ultra whilst crucian fishing on a woodland pond last May on an 18 to 2lb line....
23may17fpcarp15.7.jpg

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score

Sam - for a smallish river, mainly roach, bleak, dace but with occasional (and intended ) chub and the odd small carp (with the outside possibility of a barbel) I guess you would recommend a plus rather than an ultra?

kevt

Reaction score
Had my Acrolyte 14 foot Ultra for three years now and have had chub to 4lb on the river and carp to 11lb on lakes. It's not really a powerful rod so you just have to take your time. I would think that any mass produced rod will have blank failures. Love mine for trotting and deeper venues. Buy one you won't regret it when stick float fishing with a 507 for dace. roach and chublets

KevT

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam - for a smallish river, mainly roach, bleak, dace but with occasional (and intended ) chub and the odd small carp (with the outside possibility of a barbel) I guess you would recommend a plus rather than an ultra?

Pretty much. The Plus is a better allround rod, as far as I'm concerned. I'd advise anyone only buying one Acolyte float rod (13/14/15' versions) to buy the Plus.

However, if you found yourself fishing mainly for the roach and dace, with light lines, you may get more enjoyment out of an Ultra. Much of my river fishing is for dace and grayling. The bigger interlopers tend to be chub and brown trout. Ultras have been my rod of choice for a couple of years now for this. I've tried alternatives in this time, including Acolyte Plus, but until recent acquisitions, I'd not found equal, or better. If I travel further downstream on my river, where the barbel and chub numbers increase, I'd take the Plus over an Ultra.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Personally I don't think drennan rods are as good to the old ones . I got a old 13ft match rod I got given with sliding rings to hold reel on and much better than the new rods imo plus I have a problem with 7 series rod rings and believe Chris on here has the same issue .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

davebhoy

Reaction score
They have eaten most of the decent barbel,at the moment chub are still about,though not in the numbers or size they once were,on one stretch many six pounders were caught on the float every winter,hasn't been one this year,or maybe there's nothing wrong in fairyland??? Its OK if you want to catch 2oz roach,the furry brigade don't think its worth their while,sadly.

I might be wrong but isn’t this PC’s site? Show some respect