dont forget

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
And taking into account that most retailers have said they won't pass it on to the customer it would seem to be a pointless exercise. It might be enough to persuade some fools that labour are worth voting in again though which is probably why they did it, holding babies is so old hat you know.

C

Cakey

in theory Delkims have to be cheaper today by law surely

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not necessarily Cakey.

The 'seller' has only to pay 15% now (the lowest rate allowable in the EU) but is under no obligation to:

a) lower his selling price, or,

b) Pass-on the 2.5% less 'indirect taxation' following the government's mini budget.

Strange old world, innit.

C

Cakey

when I was pricing some for a present for my boy they were 84 quid everywhere now the vat has dropped they should be cheaper....................................they wont but they should be

C

Cakey

so its not aimed at getting me into the shops then Peter ?

Reaction score
gather that only £450 million was lent as mortgages last month a 70% drop in previous month.

So that'll be a 100 bankers second homes just gone then..and nothng else.

Are estate agents going the way of plague houses? - societal change has forced their extinction.

Reaction score
The reduction in the standard VAT rate is intended to get people spending more.

However, the government conveniently overlooked the cost of making the change forretailers and businesses.

I run an engineering business. All I had to do to switch to the new VAT rate was add a new VAT code to the system we use to run the business. Easy - 2 minutes and it was done. All invoices will now go out with VAT calculated at teh new rate.

However, my wife has a pharmacy. She has to physically change the price of every item in the shop. This is not a two minute task and imposes a significant cost to the business.

A cost the government has swept aside.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
The current situation is not a 'tax cut' its a tax relief.

As an example, most mortgage lenders offer 'payment holidays', these are just that.... a holiday, not a mortgage cut. After a time the mortgage repayments will start again, and the total re-payable amount will be the same. Much the same as the VAT situation at the moment. For now it is at a temporary lower amount, that will increase next year. The total amount of tax revenue the government need to create is the same, so other taxes will increase to meet this ie... national insurance.

Waste of time in my opinion, the only people to benifit will be the small retailers who don't pass the savings on, the very same people who are struggling to survive and going to the wall on a day by day basis..............

The government need to make a choice, either 'weather the storm' of the recession - ie cut backs ect.... Or fight it very hard by injecting much larger amounts into the economy - which is a huge gamble.

Tough choice, but we seem to be dithering somewhere in between at the moment, which will only prelong the hardship.......

Reaction score
Ah Corkers - did you not get the youngsters in to assist their mum yesterday...thereby allowing you to spend a few hours peering through the fog trying to establish if your float had dipped....whilst wondering whether you had any extremities left in which to have no feeling? An opportunity missed /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Listened to small businesswoman on radio this icy morn (I assume her business was small rather than she was a Janet Krankie double.) She has just spent £1400 quids on mailing her customers with a new price list, one month after her last list went out!!!

I see her problem BUT (now call me thick if I'm off beam here) why didn't she stick to the old list and when customer came in/rang up to order - sweet talk them with the "discount" VAT and use it as an opportunity to encourage them to buy a little something extra...perhaps for the weekend.

(Wasted in public service I was....should have stayed in Bingo calling - may have met Deanos entire family....if I managed a large enough hall!)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

All she has to do is deducttwo and a half % at the checkout .....and save all the changing of prices .....

A friend of mine (Peter Tasker from Taskers DIY)here in Liverpool carries a stock of over 40,000 different items and that is what he is doing .....

C

Cakey

that dont work Ed

something that cost 100 squids +vat was £117.50 minus 2.5% =£114.5625

she would be 43p out of pocket

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

He told me it actually works out to something like 1.83% you have to subtract ...to be exact .......

W

Wolfman Woody

You have it almost there Ed. It's 2.137% near enough.

Take 100 and divide by 1.175 to find the net amount.

Then multiply that net amount by 1.15 (the new VAT rate) and subtract 100.

I think your 1.83p is what they could take off a litre of fuel, when I did my calculation. So, if petrol has also gone up by 2p in duty than we are still benefitting.

I doubt that anyone is going to go out and spend wildly because of the reduction, but it's the 'feel-good factor' about it. Those who will benefit are the ones who are buying kitchen suites and extensions, they'll save hundreds <u>AND</u> that money goes straight into the pocket of BRITISH workmen!

As Alan Sugar said recently "China, as yet, cannot manufacture houses or bricks to ship over here at economic prices."

It's good, enjoy! You'd all be moaning like buggery if he'd stuck VAT UP by 2½%.

Damn, I'm in danger of supporting a Government policy! Shows I'm independant though.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nick (CSG) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Will my erm......shall we say magazines of a ratherexotic nature be any cheaper/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif???</blockquote>
You can pick em up for nuffink in the travel agents Nick, invest in a good magnifying glass, you'd be amazed how many fit birds get their knockers out on the beach /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif