Shimano fighting drag

mikench

Reaction score
How does the above feature compare , if at all, with a freespool/ baitrunner feature on either Shimano or daiwa reels? Is it indeed comparable as a useful feature ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Basically the FD lever is set to the required tension by means of the drag adjustment. Therefore, you could easily use it as a 'freespool' bearing in mind you would have to then switch the FD lever over to play the fish rather than turn the handle.........

sam vimes

Reaction score
Any drag backed right off can be a substitute for a baitrunner type feature. The Fightin' Drag feature of a Shimano reel was not envisaged as a lever operated baitrunner alternative, just an easier way of adjusting drag during the fight, hence the name. That's not stopped some folks using them as baitrunner alternatives, but they don't function in the same way.

Reaction score
When I first bought a Shimano for barbel fishing I went for a fighting drag,using it as a rod saver on the bite,then quickly swinging the fighting drag to the right to play fish normally,today I prefer a front drag,with a fairly heavy drag setting thus making the fish work harder from the get-go,this I find means a fish quickly under control.

mikench

Reaction score
Many thanks for the responses to date. I like baitrunners but have never tried a Shimano with fighting drag and wondered if it could work as one and clearly it could! I might be tempted !:)

chrissh

Reaction score
I have bait runner reels, fast drag reel, fighting drag reels. The bait runner is the fasted to engage when hooking into a fish. the fighting drag is a good all-round reel for float or feeder and can be used the same as a baitrunner in fact I find the fighting drag faster to engage then the fast drag reels

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Many thanks for the responses to date. I like baitrunners but have never tried a Shimano with fighting drag and wondered if it could work as one and clearly it could! I might be tempted !:)

Mike, i'm quite certain you can stretch yourself to both types of reel :).

If you do use a fighting drag you might have to actualy alter your main drag once you have a decent fish on. Reason for that is that to set the reel up so it releases line as you want it to when the fighting drag is pushed right over to it's slackest point the drag isn't set tight enough when the fighting drag is at it's tightest setting....if you get me meaning. It's no problem though as it would only take a second to do if needed.