Tactics - should I have a go?

fishplate42

Reaction score
Last year I got disillusioned with the small amount of match fishing I was doing. I think (for me) I was doing too much. As I can only get out a couple of times a month, I was spending one day fishing the match and the other day practising for the match. This left very little time to try anything else, so I gave up trying.

Now, I fancy having another go at the friendly matches I was doing a year or so ago, at Beaver Fishery, down here in the south. The first match is on 7th March on a stillwater lake that is stocked with a good number of F1s and a good selection of other species including bream, tench and all the smaller silvers.

At that time of year, it is still going to be cold, so what approach do you think I should I consider? I would like to get somewhere, however most of the other guys are far more experienced than me, but my main target is to enjoy the fishing and hopefully not come last!

Ralph.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The water will still be cold in March so I'd fish for silvers like roach, light line and small hooks. If I were you I'd get down there and have a practice beforehand and see what you get, not forgetting that waters fish harder when you get a few fishing a match.

mikench

Reaction score
As above but don't take it too seriously! It's fishing not Olympic downhill skiing! Do what you're comfortable with and adept at and enjoy it; the end weight will take care of itself!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last year I got disillusioned with the small amount of match fishing I was doing. I think (for me) I was doing too much. As I can only get out a couple of times a month, I was spending one day fishing the match and the other day practising for the match. This left very little time to try anything else, so I gave up trying.

Now, I fancy having another go at the friendly matches I was doing a year or so ago, at Beaver Fishery, down here in the south.

Ralph.

Has your situation changed since you last match fished Ralph? You say you became both disillusioned and disgruntled by the end of your previous experience.

You're spot by recognising you're trying to do too much given the very few days you can go fishing in any given month. As you say, the other anglers are more experienced than yourself, with another string of results that you may find frustrating may just be enough to lose your mojo for good, we can't have that!

Piking, fly fishing, lure fishing,experimenting with home made ground baits, you want to do it all which is commendable but if you haven't got the time to not only try these things but then spend more time to master them, you'll be forever be chasing your tail and the "fun" element will get lost.

Plenty of opportunities to spend some glorious days out that might just be somewhere other than Beaver, the offer is always there.:thumbs:

mikench

Reaction score
John makes a good number of suggestions which, to my mind, seem infinitely more preferable to a matching fishing excursion particularly if opportunities are few and far between! Why make fishing less enjoyable! If you want a match have one with John !!!:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John makes a good number of suggestions which, to my mind, seem infinitely more preferable to a matching fishing excursion particularly if opportunities are few and far between! Why make fishing less enjoyable! If you want a match have one with John !!!:)

The funny thing is Mike, I'm ridiculously competitive but don't have the slightest inclination to match fish (just as well really).

Bring it on:eek:mg:

peterjg

Reaction score
Ralph, it's a no-brainer! Match fishing is 'orrible!

Our pastime is above trying to win money. Sometimes fishing a grotty muddy hole in the ground, sometimes stuck in a grotty swim for several hours that you would never have chosen, sometimes surrounded by pole wielding people filling the place with bait, ending up having to fish for mini mud pigs, not being able to start or stop when you want, and worse of all is the purile banter!

No, do your own thing, it's got to be better.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Hmmm... I did think I fanced another go when I started this post, but the more I think about it the less I am inspired. Maybe if I had more time to fish I would give it anther go, but for now, I am going to stick to just fishing for fun, when I can. Now the nights are starting to get longer and it won't be long until the rivers are closed for fishing I suspect I will go back to my occasional visit to the odd commercial fishery.

I am still undecided as to whether to buy an acolyte or and acolyte plus. Maybe I will just carry on with what I have at the moment. I know my approach to fishing is not for everyone, but I enjoy what I do...

...I don't think I will ever be an expert at any form of fishing. I have collected lots of knowledge over the past three years or so that will probably take me another three years to get around to trying on the bank. For me it is a total relaxation to fish, no matter where it is or what I am doing, as long as it is me making the decisions as to where and how long I fish for. Maybe that is it, I am not a team player, preferring to do my own thing :confused:

I think I agree with what Peter said "Ralph, it's a no-brainer! Match fishing is 'orrible!"

Ralph.