Happy when I am fishing simply

fishplate42

Reaction score
The more I think about it, I think fishing is way overcomplicated by me as well as the trade and fishing media of all kinds.

For me I have discovered that I am never happier than when I am fishing simply with just one rod and some bait. That could be float fishing, feeder fishing, pole fishing or just simply clucking a line in and touch ledgering. Minimal gear and nice or interesting surroundings.

I am going to do much more minimum fishing this coming year, how about you? What do you enjoy the most about fishing.

Ralph.

Last edited:
B

binka

I'm never happier than when it's as simple as it gets.

Some of my most enjoyable sessions last year were lazy summer afternoons spent on a cushion, the bare minimum of gear with legs dangling over the landing stage and a pint of maggots...

IMG_6594.jpg

I find it much more rewarding to catch fish with the minimum of gear as opposed to lugging endless heaps of stuff around, it just 'feels' right to me.

I can fully understand when and why things can get a bit complicated though and I occasionally like to cross that line just for a change but it's the exception rather than the rule for me.

mikench

Reaction score
I am going to go definitely and possibly defiantly as often as possible Ralph! Do remember that just "messing about " on the bank setting up your rod, the float, feeder or other end tackle , sorting out your bait and finally casting out is a perfect example of mindfullness and therefore good for you! Catching is merely peripheral and the icing on the cake! Add in fresh air, the excercise and the planning and you have the perfect pursuit innit!:cool:

mikench

Reaction score

Some of my most enjoyable sessions last year were lazy summer afternoons spent on a cushion, the bare minimum of gear with legs dangling over the landing stage and a pint of maggots...

View attachment 3800

I find it much more rewarding to catch fish with the minimum of gear as opposed to lugging endless heaps of stuff around, it just 'feels' right to me.

I can fully understand when and why things can get a bit complicated though and I occasionally like to cross that line just for a change but it's the exception rather than the rule for me.

Gosh Steve I never realised you are really only 16!:wh I hope you manage many more such days!

sagalout

Reaction score
Jeez even Binka's swim has CDO (like OCD but in the right order) about being ship shape and bristol fashion

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bet that's a cushion made by Hardy.:D

nottskev

Reaction score

View attachment 3800

I recognise that stage!

B

binka

Jeez even Binka's swim has CDO (like OCD but in the right order) about being ship shape and bristol fashion

It took me half the afternoon to get all those maggots facing the same direction :drum:

sagalout

Reaction score
Where do you get the power from for the hoover when you arrive at the peg, Binks?

sagalout

Reaction score
Don't come fishing up here, the wild boar come to lakes in forest at turn the banks into your worst nightmare.

john step

Reaction score
Agree with the idea of simplicity. Some of my cherished angling memories are when travelling Europe when I lived in my caravan and catching fish in diverse places and adapting what little gear I had with me.
Carp/barbel rudd/roach/ide/bream/chub etc all on tele or multi piece travel rods and usually with bread as bait.

The warm sunshine helped!!!

Philip

Reaction score
I love simple fishing. Just simple rigs with a minimum of things on the line. A 4oz lead semi fixed and a hair made from the extension of your hooklength. One cast and wait for the fish to hook itself.

No masses of split shot festooned all over the line, no float rubbers, no float, no rubber adapters or other paraphanalia to complicate & cutter it all up and endless cast & feed cast & feed cast & feed then strike after strike after strike. Goodness it wears me out just thinking about it !

Why do we complicate things all the time ? Simple is indeed best !

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the greatest pleasures of last Summer was sight fishing for chub on free lined cheese or meat, just a hook tied in the end of the line, occasionally complicating the rig with an added swan shot.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score

View attachment 3800

Thats the way i like it now as well carry the minmum enjoy the fishing with worryimng about lugging a dang boxvan full of gear you dont use back to the car ..

PG ...

Another Dave

Reaction score
This is the kind of thread that makes me feel totally at home here.

Found myself drifting into 3 main disciplines:

lure fishing with at most a pretackled rod, net, mat and bag. If i know i'm only fishing swims where i'm right down by (or in) the water then the net and mat can stay at home

float fishing maggots - tackled rod, net, lidded bucket of bits that i can sit on. contains bait box

close in ledgering/freelining - in the summer this was a huge worm on as 2g size 4 jighead, nothing else up the line, put the rod in a forked twig and lie down on the mat

shane99

Reaction score
IMG_1166.jpg

The session for my first post in HDYGO

simple stuff & the best

The 2lb 1/2 oz perch that took me 3 years to get from this waterIMG_E1167.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Fishing is the simplest of pastimes it’s us anglers that have made it complicated. Too many of us are take it just in case type anglers. Even my lure fishing when I go is now heading in that direction. I started off with one rod now there are 3 or 4 in the car, just in case.