JW or Drennan Avons

yorkieman

Reaction score
I would like some feedback on either the -

John Wilson Avon quiver 1.75tc or the Drennan series7 Avon 1.75tc
The JW can be purchased for £50 and the Drennan at £99.

Only fished at one location which contain 5 lakes and only use the small lake where there are the odd double but mostly 4-5lbers. The largest lake contain some very large Carp along with others... some say Catfish which is where I want to try.

I purchased a Maver Abyss X last year and although ( for the price ) was excellent value I think maybe for larger specimens I need more beef.

Thanks for any feedback.

iain t

Reaction score
The JW isn't up to the standards of the original 1.25lb but still a good allrounder. The Drennan S7 although dearer is what i think most will recommend for the quality/built and they have a nice forgiving action. But why a rod rated at 1.75lb when a 1.25/1.5lb can handle Carp to around 20lbs. Personally, I've had a 35lb wild common using my 1.25 rod. A 1.5lb is a better allrounder as the tip will detect silvers as well as double Carp. Plus they make a nice Tench, Barbel rod. But if you really do what a 1.75lb rated rod, go for the Drennan.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not a lover of the drennan avon rods so i'd have to go for the Wilson rod. JWYoungs avon rods look decent and might be worth a look at before you take the plung.

yorkieman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

Being a newbie this exactly what I want... ideas !

I'm reading lots of reviews on rods and the JW and Drennan Avons seem to have excellent reviews so that's why I was interested in them and to 1.25 or 1.75 TC that's what the rod reviewer says !

The forum may give me more ideas ?

Thoroughly enjoying the forum now that I'm getting to grips with the new layout.

carlosd

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

Being a newbie this exactly what I want... ideas !

I'm reading lots of reviews on rods and the JW and Drennan Avons seem to have excellent reviews so that's why I was interested in them and to 1.25 or 1.75 TC that's what the rod reviewer says !

The forum may give me more ideas ?

Thoroughly enjoying the forum now that I'm getting to grips with the new layout.

I'd also take into consideration the Korum All Rounder, you can pick them up for a shade under £50 and they are 1.5 TC which is plenty as said above by Iain T

The Korum is well made and as you probably know it's the sister company to preston.

Carlos

jasonbean1

Reaction score
how do you intend to fish?..are you just feeder fishing or do you want to use it for float and leger? the rods your looking at are designed more for river fishing and are very tipy and slow action for Stillwater commercial your better off with a faster action

yorkieman

Reaction score
Only use Method Feeder/Bomb, and as up to now just use one commercial although since starting the hobby I've made lots of friends and they do go on the rivers so may join them one day.

Think I'll take a trip to a large tackle shop in Leeds where I can see and feel them.

So many types and makes its a mine field.. lol

carlosd

Reaction score
Only use Method Feeder/Bomb, and as up to now just use one commercial although since starting the hobby I've made lots of friends and they do go on the rivers so may join them one day.

Think I'll take a trip to a large tackle shop in Leeds where I can see and feel them.

So many types and makes its a mine field.. lol

You have hit the nail on the head, it's always best to go and have a feel before buying.

I always try and stick to one brand when buying fishing tackle although I have 3 favourites Korum/Preston, Drennan and Fox. I'm always open to try new products by different Manafacturers but always sticked to those 3.

Carlos