Top sections and quiver tps

steve2

Reaction score
Spare top sections and quiver tips do you use them?
Most feeder rods come with various strength tips. Avon rods now appear have two top sections. It appears that many of us like me setup a rod put in a ready bag and never take it apart again.
Have you ever used those all those top sections and quivers tips I know I haven’t? Most probably the reason why I have so many spare rods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not much for legering of any kind these days, nor am I one for leaving rods set up in ready bags. However, when I was, I only had limited use for multi-tip rods. When using quiver tips, I'm not much of a fan of carrier and separate quiver tips. I invariably found that, at best, the carrier suited one tip well, and any other not as well. Though they are thin on the ground, I much prefer alternate quiver strengths to be matched to entire top sections of their own. I have less of a problem with Avon/barbel type rods with entire top sections of different test curves. Though similar issues can be observed in some rods, they can be acceptable compromises.

nottskev

Reaction score
I certainly do use them all. Mind you, most of my feeder and quiver rods predate carp commercials, and were, and are, used for species much less likely to hang themselves on the bite or for methods other than self-hooking method-types. Better rods often came with 3 tips, and these often all blended into the action surprisingly well. Some manufacturers' tips - Daiwa and Shimano, for instance, were common to different versions of a model, or even different series of rods, and having a wide range of tips in your bag allowed you choose something just right for the flow, tow or species you were after. Even in a given "test curve" , like 1.5 or 2 oz, there are important differences in the way carbon and fibreglass tips behave, and between fast and slow taper tips. The carrier section plus tip arrangement also allowed you to to bring in non-standard bite indicators like springtips and swingtips or tips of your own making. I have dozens of tips that will fit my Shimano and Daiwa rods, but with the rods that come with tips integral to the whole section, I only have a choice of two, eg the Preston Carbonactive Quiver. Some may have more, of course. You could argue these spliced-in tips give a better action, but I've never noticed any practical difference, and you certainly notice a difference if you break a built-in tip, as you'll be paying for the whole section rather than a new tip. I'm not really into making up rods - barbel rods excepted - at home, and in many cases, I want to see the water and assess what's needed before I chose a tip, and even then the first one I try might not be right.

I have the impression that before the heavy, self-hooking feeder became widely popular, along with variations on bolt-rigs, anglers treated quiver tips a bit like floats - and even though I live near some big tackle shops, I wouldn't be able to find equivalents for half the wagglers in my float boxes, with all their variations in bodies, thicknesses, lengths and inserts.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Kev! I thought you just decided which colour you fancied on the day!!:wh

Very informative!:)