Cannal groundbait

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Going on cannal this weekend after roach and perch and perhaps a ruffe if any turn up .

What is a good groundbait to use or is it best not use a groundbait and feed liki bread for roach . Or particles such as casters , reds , chopped worm and hemp ?

Thankyou

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

markv

Reaction score
Whatever you feed, remember to make it not very much.

The water is cold with even colder weather returning in most areas I think for the weekend. They're unlikely to take much feed.

If it was myself i'd try liquidised bread, as fine as I could get it, at the very least putting it through a flour sieve for roach. Small bread punch on hook, with pinkie as a change bait which will also pick up perch and ruffe.

If I were to use a proprietary groundbait, maybe something like Sensas Matchblend, or any silverfish groundbait with not too much feed content. Probably putting it through a flour seive as well to take out the bigger pieces.

I'd try just a small amount first, say a bit smaller than a golf ball and see how it goes. If catching may try a bit more. Could be an idea to bulk it out with a bit of soil.

Thats me anyway, others will have other ideas but my first aim would be to see if I could get a bite or two, taking it very steady on feed and maybe increase a bit if the fish were responding.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I was going to go the softly aproach . And would be using a rod and line rather then a pole .

chrissh

Reaction score
On a cold day it can take a couple of hours for the fish to respond
Keep the feeding to a minimum
Scale down. Insert waggler & fine hook length size 18
Roach small ball of liquidized bread or bread punch
Perch worm on the hook & feed a small amount of chopped worms

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks chris . Not worth going for hemp reds/casters

Richox12

Reaction score
Whatever you feed, remember to make it not very much.

The water is cold with even colder weather returning in most areas I think for the weekend. They're unlikely to take much feed.

If it was myself i'd try liquidised bread, as fine as I could get it, at the very least putting it through a flour sieve for roach. Small bread punch on hook, with pinkie as a change bait which will also pick up perch and ruffe.

If I were to use a proprietary groundbait, maybe something like Sensas Matchblend, or any silverfish groundbait with not too much feed content. Probably putting it through a flour seive as well to take out the bigger pieces.

I'd try just a small amount first, say a bit smaller than a golf ball and see how it goes. If catching may try a bit more. Could be an idea to bulk it out with a bit of soil.

Thats me anyway, others will have other ideas but my first aim would be to see if I could get a bite or two, taking it very steady on feed and maybe increase a bit if the fish were responding.

Similar to this. Except I put liquidised bread for the canal through a pinkie riddle (a flour sieve for groundbait or my joker riddle). I'd use soil for perch (I'd actually avoid groundbait and even soil if I could) if it needed anything at all and groundbait for just for the roach.