Grayling and Coarse

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Hello chaps just looking for some information on the fishing in the Park area whether it is Salmon beats or if I would be able to wet a line with the eldest lad while camping in the area next summer .What are the legalities etc .Any advice will be much appreciated .
Thanks Gav.

E

EC

We had a lads weekend in Castle Douglas about 4 years ago Gav, and cycled along the track thatfollows the river. Its a superb drive/ride. There's also a lough at one extreme of the track. I forget the name but may still have the flyer. I am sure the lough allows bank fishing, cant remember about the river. Drop me a pm if you like mate.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I shall do Eddie as always much appreciated,if anyone else has any information on other options it would be great also.I shall be wild camping so the remoteness is not an issue really as it is that also that draws me to the area.
Thanks Gav.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
You could fish the river, day ticketswere available from the post office inMossland village. I am going back quite a few years. You can also get a day ticket to fish Mossland loch also at the post office. Have to fish it from a boat.

There are also many small lochs in Galloway Forest itself, tickets available from Foresty Commision visitors centers.

Best fly to use, both river and lochs is Gold Ribbed Hares Ear. Never failed me when I used to fish the area. Hooked a Sea Trout on a Peter Ross on one outing when trying something different after catching plenty of small browns. The river ticket used to be just £2. £12 for Mossland Loch which included the boat. The Lochs in the Forest varied from £6 to £10 at the Time. Had some very good fishing, mainly by myself.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thanks Wobbly ,is the area mainly fly only then ?,.I do own a fly kit (not used in anger yet)but was looking to do something simple for the nipper mainly but fly rod weighs nowt so it could be an option as well.Maybe my very own 'Travels with a two piece' .Anyone with anymore information on the area it would be appreciated.

Paul B

Reaction score
We stayed up that way quite a few years ago and I was certain there was a loch in the forest stocked with coarse fish. Have a look herehope you find something to suit.

We stayed at 3lochs camp site next to lochs heron and ronald and you can get day tickets for those. I was catching roach, perch and eels.

From what I remember I hope you're prepared for a bit of travelling, everything seemed to be miles away when we were up there!

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Gav,

Paul is right, miles from anywhere. There is plenty of coarse. I've seen some fishermen coarse fishing the lower end of the river before it enters Loch Ken. Not sure about coarse fishing in Galloway Forest itself.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Many thanks Paul and Wobbly again,should have it covered now.Its the remoteness which I am after and a bit off a dabble fishing should keep the young Bear Mears happy after a bit of walking.Just nice to have abit of informationfrom folk who have been to the area which with the looks off things I may not be able to do for long.Thanks again chaps.