Favourite fish and method

ben10

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s favourite species and method to catch said species? Also, why is it so appealing?

I’d say mine is probably running a stick for roach or a Waggler for tench, just something about mending the line on a long trot or seeing a Waggler dissapper on a calm summers morning that does it for me. Waggler in the summer and a stick in the autumn months.

Having said that my most common method is a feeder for bream, which I do also enjoy.

chrissh

Reaction score
Got to be Tench and crucian on the waggler float and grayling on a stick float, chub on the surface floating baits.

Then on the other side feeder for tench, crucian, chub, bream.

As long as I’m out on the bank fishing any fish that take my bait is a bonus

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Has to be tincas followed by crucians . Lift float method for tench and standard waggler for crucians

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm still on a great and enjoyable learning curve with so many methods to explore and try but to date in the three plus years I've been back fishing I have to say the most fun and exciting method is sight fishing.

No float, bobbin or tip required (part of the reason I enjoy it I guess being so lazy) just place the bait on the deck in gin clear water and watch and wait or on the surface waiting for that mouth to engulf the bait.

peterjg

Reaction score
Laying on in a river for roach using bread as bait.

mikench

Reaction score
Anything that catches me a fish. I must admit that I find feeder fishing easier and thus more successful! I do intend to do more float fishing this year as one loses the ability ( a very relative term in my case) very quickly!:)

steve2

Reaction score
Lure fishing, so much easier the lugging all the tackle around. Fish wise anything I can get to take a lure, which can sometimes be surprising when roach or rudd turn up.
When I am not lure fishing I would say feeder fishing or float fishing for tench.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Anything that catches me a fish. I must admit that I find feeder fishing easier and thus more successful! I do intend to do more float fishing this year as one loses the ability ( a very relative term in my case) very quickly!:)
Agree with you there mike , feeder fishing does seem a far more productive method or even ledgering in genral

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ian g

Reaction score
I'd feeder and ledger fished the Severn for years but over the last 3 or 4 years I have float fished almost exclusively , mainly for perch but not always . I find watching a float enjoyable and relaxing . I wouldn't say it's the most effective way always but for me it's all about enjoying myself.:eek:

seth49

Reaction score
I like float and feeder fishing, but the one method that really does it for me, is floater fishing for carp, watching a big carp rising up in the water, to either take or reject the bait, is my favourite.

terry m

Reaction score
Deadbaiting for pike in a river slack, using an unweighted pencil. The slight vibrations on the float followed by the lift and slide away. Always gets the adrenaline running for me.
Close second is surface lure fishing in the summer. The heartstopping stuff when a huge bow wave chases your Arborgast lure, followed by an explosion of teeth and trebles.

Keith M

Reaction score
My favourite species on stillwaters is the Tench using a short length of peacock quill and the lift method.

My favourite species on streams and rivers is the Barbel using both touch legering or trotting; although trotting is my favourite method whenever the swims allow it, and roving from swim to swim with minimal tackle.

Very closely followed by trotting a Stick Float or a small Avon float for large Roach on a smallish stream.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Roving for chub on rivers with 1 rod.

I recon its "proper" angling for a proper anglers fish. You can do it in any weather, they are big enough to pull back a bit and it needs watercraft, guile, stealth, skill and of course that most important element of all for angling - a dollop of luck.

B

binka

So many to choose from and so many with little to separate them but all which involve a float of some kind or another.

Trotting for barbel takes some beating, trotting for roach is a delight and dibbing for gudgeon are all up there for me but all are runners up to a perch bobber with a worm beneath it, be it trotted or on a stillwater.

The closer in the better, too.

sagalout

Reaction score
Probably whatever I'm doing at the time. Don't care what I catch as long as I catch. Like watching the tip, like fishing the margins with the pole, like the pellet waggler, like a long pole up in the water, like a waggler on a running line, like perch, rudd, roach, gudgeon, barbel, chub, carp, f1s, tench, crucian, pike, anything really (not keen on skimmers but proper big dustbin lids are great, but I never target them). Don't like the wet and cold :mad:

One of the reasons I like the pole a lot is it de-skills the baiting, I throw like a girl so if I am fishing the waggler the bait can go anywhere but near the float. I also like the feeder for the same reason.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I don't have a favourite fish, as the season goes on I tend to get absorbed in catching one species and then a fortnight later it's another species.

I enjoy dry fly fishing the most

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I suppose for pure excitement, surface fishing, be it for difficult carp or running a crust down a swim in a small river for chub takes a lot of beating. Nothing quite like watching a decent fish approach a bait that you've positioned in a tight spot or close to overhanging trees...
However, my fist love is float fishing and this for roach or crucians on still waters. To have any form of success with either species (of any size) requires some skill on the part of the angler which, coupled with the peace and quiet it (usually) demands, does it for me these days.
Not to say big tench/barbel and other species have been missed over the years, but these days sneaking out in the early hours after decent roach (throughout the year) under the rod top if at all possible with not a soul in sight, takes some beating...

In hindsight, if I could go back to the early 60's when I spent much time trotting the Hants Avon around Ibsley/Ringwood for stunning roach, I might just be tempted to get the Avon floats out again........

ps Some limited success with bigger perch earlier this year (and I mean limited!) again in still waters, and also calling for some skill on the part of the angler, also has a lot to offer............when of some size, a stunning fish.

Last edited:

carpinbob

Reaction score
Feeder or Ledgering for Bream preferred method, catching Roach on the Waggler comes a close second.