Moved house and area,. Any north Yorkshire members??

tilly05

Reaction score
So I've not been on for a while, recently moved from Sheffield to Scarborough. Now I'm in need of some nice new venues. I'm not new to Scarborough but as far a course fishing goes my books not all that full.
Hunmanby, throxenby mere, edgehill mere being the big 3.

Anyone got info on,
River rye around pikering/malton/Kirby mispronounced areas
Bob's pond at brawby
River derwent around york

I've heard of a pond at marishes not sure if it's high or low marshes? Any other nice little places worth venture too?

Heading to Wykeham course lake tomorrow for a day session

A lot of questions but Internet seams a bit vague in places. Any help appreciated

sam vimes

Reaction score
I hope you didn't move to Scarborough for the coarse fishing!:eek:

The pond at Low Marishes is called Selley Bridge Lake, and it's a bit of a strange one. There are some good tench in it and a smattering of reasonably big carp. It's not the easiest of venues and it gets very weedy in summer.

Scarborough Mere can be a worthwhile proposition, though its form tends to fluctuate quite dramatically, even over fairly short timescales.

Brooklands on the road between Brompton By Sawdon and Sherburn can be pretty good.

Welham Lake and Carpvale Doubles on the fringes of Malton, if you are into your carping/camping.

YDAA | Coarse and game fishing in and around York could be worth a look for stretches of both the Rye and Derwent.

Beyond that, and the waters you've already mentioned, I can't think of much more. However, it's worth mentioning that I've not lived/worked up that way for over five years. When I did, I rarely bothered to take much gear with me. Now I'm firmly ensconced in the Vale of York, I can't think of any water that I'd be prepared to travel to.

tilly05

Reaction score
Thank you very much for that, now I need to decide if I go to marishes or Wykeham tomorrow. Thanks again, the carp lakes at Malton look nice for a spring day

Chevin_Rutilus

Reaction score
Get thi gear sold and buy some sea gear. Do it quickly and you might still be able to pick a few cod up off beach or wait a month or two and invest in some mackeral gear. Plenty of marks round there from Whitby to bridlington, Scarborough to filey.

I'm actually going out on boat on 28thnof April out from Scarborough, can't wait

tilly05

Reaction score
Get thi gear sold and buy some sea gear. Do it quickly and you might still be able to pick a few cod up off beach or wait a month or two and invest in some mackeral gear. Plenty of marks round there from Whitby to bridlington, Scarborough to filey.

I'm actually going out on boat on 28thnof April out from Scarborough, can't wait

Mackeral spinning off end of pier is always a good one!
A friend of mine is a regular sea fisherman so always a spare rod of he's heading out down Bempton

Chevin_Rutilus

Reaction score
Mackeral spinning off end of pier is always a good one!
A friend of mine is a regular sea fisherman so always a spare rod of he's heading out down Bempton

Definitely worth going, they reckon one of the piers is good in summer for mackerel but gets busts when its hot. Also worth fishing marks like filey Brigg for big Cod in winter.

Boat charters are cheap enough aswell , I'm using skylark as its 35£ for 6 hour, tackle included. Plenty of wrecks within 10nm of Scarborough so cod all year round with the chance of a decent ling or two

wrighty64

Reaction score
eyup i did the same move 16yrs ago but only just got back in to fishing marishes is one of my hideaways had some good sunday afternoons last yr the mere has just had a big stocking of fish in match pool n twelve 12lb carp in main lake hope this helps

seanb

Reaction score
There’s a really good lake at Hunmanby a few miles south of Scarborough called Rosedale lakes. In Scarborough there is also Throxenby Mere but I don’t think you can fish there on weekends when it is club members only, pop into GB Angling and have a chat with Graham he is very helpful and will put you right.