Shopping trollys

mikench

Reaction score
Just listened to a segment of the above programme. Apparently in canals and rivers of Deptford East London discarded supermarket trolleys are providing a safe habitat for fish , leaches and invertebrates and numbers are growing! Every cloud.......!

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I bet they took the £1 coins out before they dumped though :wh
my club make wire fish refuges to put in the pools to deter cormorants, which I suppose is a similar set up
to discarded trolleys

B

binka

Last summer I grew quite fond of a shopping trolley that had been dumped in my local town centre dam.

I named the area the 'feature' swim and observed, over several sessions, its rather baffling movements as we got to know each other more intimately...

IMG_6576.jpg

IMG_6628.jpg

IMG_6634.jpg

The roach certainly didn't mind though...

IMG_6607.jpg

I haven't seen it for several months but my thoughts are with it and I hope it is well.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last summer I grew quite fond of a shopping trolley that had been dumped in my local town centre dam.

I named the area the 'feature' swim and observed, over several sessions, its rather baffling movements as we got to know each other more intimately...

View attachment 4081

View attachment 4082

View attachment 4083

The roach certainly didn't mind though...

View attachment 4084

I haven't seen it for several months but my thoughts are with it and I hope it is well.

You should have took it home and had a propper relationship with it Steve....too late now m8, it's obviously courting now :eek:mg:

nottskev

Reaction score
trolleys.JPG

It'll have gone up the Maun to spawn, I guess, Steve.

B

binka

You should have took it home and had a propper relationship with it Steve

I formed the opinion that it was a bit of a slut mate, over the course of three weeks I saw it in more positions than Pamela Anderson :whip:

Philip

Reaction score
What I find odd is the fixation people have with dumping shopping trolleys in water.

You dont ever see them in general fly tipping or chucked in the woods or whetever...no its always in the river or the canal or the lake.

Think about it ...some person has gone to the trouble to wheel it all that way to the pond....they have had to trundle it across gravel and grass, rocks and mud and goodness knows what else on those little solid wheels....it takes some effort for goodness sake !....they then give it one final mighty push, probably shouting WHEY HEY as they do it to send it to its watery grave.

I dont get it ...whats the burning tempatation to do this ? ....is it the thrill of the cart juddering along ? ...or the high manouverability of the thing ? ...how about the top speed ? ...all of 4mph.

Look for anyone reading this who is considering it ...take my word for it ...you will have just as much fun with allot less effort just wheeling it round the nice flat and solid supermarket car park and then back into the line of other trolleys.

You know it makes sense :thumb:

B

binka

Maybe supermarkets should have a sensor which knows when the trolley has been pushed back into the row of waiting trolleys and plays a recording of an almighty 'splash' as it goes in? :)

flightliner

Reaction score
Thanks for the "starter " Kev ---
Jon on the DON,
met Jane on the DANE,
they had a nibble on the RIBBLE
A need on the TWEED
then some on the WENSUM
a bit dull on the HULL
a try on the WEY
The best on the TEST
and they did on the NIDD
Not sure on the URE
heaven on the SEVERN--------- (thanks Mark)
A harden on the MARDON
A slumber on the HUMBER
but it was tame on the DANE
didnt bother on the ROTHER
saw dawn on the BOURNE
Then spawned on the maun.--------------------- gets coat !

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
What I find odd is the fixation people have with dumping shopping trolleys in water.

You dont ever see them in general fly tipping or chucked in the woods or whetever...no its always in the river or the canal or the lake.

Think about it ...some person has gone to the trouble to wheel it all that way to the pond....they have had to trundle it across gravel and grass, rocks and mud and goodness knows what else on those little solid wheels....it takes some effort for goodness sake !....they then give it one final mighty push, probably shouting WHEY HEY as they do it to send it to its watery grave.

I dont get it ...whats the burning tempatation to do this ? ....is it the thrill of the cart juddering along ? ...or the high manouverability of the thing ? ...how about the top speed ? ...all of 4mph.

Look for anyone reading this who is considering it ...take my word for it ...you will have just as much fun with allot less effort just wheeling it round the nice flat and solid supermarket car park and then back into the line of other trolleys.

You know it makes sense :thumb:

Its their contribution to the world, leaving their mark, their equivalent of Mozart, Picasso, Michelangelo, Hawking.--
"I wus ere you tossers".
I make do with leaving old floats and fishing line hanging from trees dotted around the county, should be there for a couple of hundred years!
As to creating a haven, they often do the same in the sea, dumping waste from drilling and dumping old ships to create reefs although I get the difference but with a bit of ying and yang philosophy thrown at it....

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thanks for the "starter " Kev ---
Jon on the DON,
met Jane on the DANE,
they had a nibble on the RIBBLE
A harden on the MARDON
A slumber on the HUMBER
but it was tame on the DANE
didnt bother on the ROTHER
saw dawn on the BOURNE

Then spawned on the maun.--------------------- gets coat !
Then thought in Heaven
on the Severn

mikench

Reaction score
You are onto something Ray! The converted trolley could be used as a Carp Porter if you removed the Sainsbury's sign!