Club membership renewals Grrrrrrr !

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What a bloody palaver this is ! I sat down yesterday to renew my memberships and very quickly got totally hacked off with having to provide sae of a certain size, passport photographs, previous membership numbers etc etc

Renewals are variously due now, by mid may and by end June so I either have to stump up well in advance or hold a couple back for a while.....and then probably forget to send them.

How much easier it would be if all this was available on line but I guess the smaller clubs are reliant on volunteers to process applications.It added up to a tidy sum too as I dont yet qualify for concessionary rates unlike Grumpy who in one case pays less than half what I do.

Grrrrrrr !

mikench

Reaction score
Thankfully the two clubs who would have me operate on line and with payment from PayPal! I simply add a photo( usually last years) to the new card, sign it and that's it!

lambert1

Reaction score
Blimey that is a performance Skip. My photo card has not changed from when I joined and all we do is meet (sometimes in the pub) hand out the trophies, pay our fees and have a natter. I guess we are a small club, but suits me.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Recently renewed my CDAA membership and even though I'm not a pensioner til August they gave me the lower rate, not all bad turning 65:)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I attended my clubs AGM last night and interestingly almost half of the membership is in the age concession group. They have decided to increase the subs for all except juniors by a fiver for next season but discussed increasing the age for concessions up to 68.

The committee kept the junior fee the same which was good as they do a lot to bring in new juniors.

I think an aging membership is a problem thst most clubs will have to contend with sooner rather than later.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

steve2

Reaction score
The one thing that strikes me when renewing is just how much anglers get back for so little cost when compared to other groups and clubs.
In my fishing clubs you get 365 days fishing for £70. or around £1.50 a week. Now that is a bargain.

rich66

Reaction score
My clubs a bargain at £25 for the year, renewal is a faff tho’ photo, old membership number which varies every year, and a cheque or postal order. Paypal would be so much easier

flightliner

Reaction score
Up to a couple of years or so ago I was paying almost £350 pa for three seperate clubs but have dropped them all bar one where you pay the baillif on the bank who gives me the requisite paperwork which is pretty much hassle free. I have applied to another club but that was almost two years ago now with little feedback.
Meantime Last year I joined a very small club with about as good piece of riverTrent stickfloat fishing as I know of that cost me £20 paid on the bank, this season it will--- fingers crossed--- be £10.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've re-joined a relatively expensive club with excellent big-river fishing - but the waters are 20 miles plus away, so I'll have to keep up the club book for the stretches 5 minutes away, for the times when you only have or want a couple of hours. What to keep up is always a bit of a balancing act - some clubs have just one venue you like or even just a couple of swims you love to fish, and you wonder if it's worth it. Others around here have control of the river fishing, but you're paying for access to their gravel pit carp fisheries, whose smaller species disappeared into cormorants years ago. And so on. But for all that, the price of the club book is often less than a trip to the supermarket for a few day's food etc, so it's the waste rather than the expense that I try to avoid. Overall, I've always thought, given how much we cheerfully spend on tackle, that good fishing is worth paying for. The difficulty can be finding it, outside the commercial model, which is what you find yourself doing, if your tastes, like mine, are a bit backward-looking.

seth49

Reaction score
I just have two lots of subs now, one I pay in the new year, which is 90 pounds, with the senior rate I’m now on.
The other I’ve just payed which is 160 pounds, so not two bad I used to spend a lot more when I drunk and smoked, the dearest one doesn’t give a reduction for age, but most of the members would qualify for that, so that’s probably why.

mikench

Reaction score
One card costs me £75 pa and the other £120pa. The former includes a day ticket water I visit at least twice a month( Kev you know the one) which would cost je £5 a day. So just 15 visits a year( I make at least 50) pays for the entire membership. Add in a couple of recently added day ticket waters and the annual dues are a bargain!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Club membership generally offers good value....I'm not sure I'd call it a bargain but it very much depends on the clubs and the waters. Grumpy would disagree but like I said he's paying next to nowt compared to me so can afford to belong to several clubs even though some of them he might only fish 3 times a year.

Mind you with day tickets down here typically being 10-12 nicker I guess club fees of £100-120 only represent 10 trips. Trouble is I visit day ticket waters as well so the overall cost soon mounts up. Add to that a bit of trite fishing and its a fairly hefty outlay and thats before youve factored in bait,bits,fuel and 12 quid for photos because you buqqered the first lot up etc. Its not a cheap sport any more.

But it is what is and its what I do. I could just do without this tiresome faffing about with photos and sae of a certain size. Of all the administrative necessities I have to deal with this is the one that pi$$es me off the most. I recently bought and insured a new motor and that was simplicity itself compared to renewing my angling club memberships.

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
Surely a new photo is not necessary every season. I am the same grumpy grey haired old ****** that I was last season. Just ask my wife.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But it is what is and its what I do. I could just do without this tiresome faffing about with photos and sae of a certain size. Of all the administrative necessities I have to deal with this is the one that pi$$es me off the most. I recently bought and insured a new motor and that was simplicity itself compared to renewing my angling club memberships.

A good chunk of your car insurance cost goes towards the multi million pound technology employed by these insurers, a bit different to the volunteers, part timers that administrate our clubs.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Surely a new photo is not necessary every season. I am the same grumpy grey haired old ****** that I was last season. Just ask my wife.

You would think, wouldnt you ? Two of my clubs dont want photos sending but do expect you to stick one in the permit when it arrives. That makes sense to me....sending TWO photos off doesnt. What do they need the other one for ?

In my case the Rogues Gallery I guess !

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
A good chunk of your car insurance cost goes towards the multi million pound technology employed by these insurers, a bit different to the volunteers, part timers that administrate our clubs.

I totally accept that for the smaller clubs but when you are talking about large clubs wiith proper websites and big memberships I dont think its unreasonable to have a "renew on line" function. One I belong to ( I wont name it but I suspect there are loads of members on here) claims to have said functionability but it doesn't work and never has. Follow the links online via the website and you end up in a dead end. That is very frustrating.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
One club I am in WAA send the membership cards out around February, I either go to the headquarters and pay
for it or go to the local tackle shop and pay for it, The other club I am in Lymm AC has a slip in the previous year licence that I can either take to local tackle shop and pay, or send it to the clubs PO box number, or pay on line, the small club Wilderspool Anglers is just send to secretary or call at his house and pay, All cards reqire photos, I just take them out of the previous years cards. I think I fished more commercials last year than clubs waters, I dare not think what I spent on day tickets.

john r stockburn

Reaction score
not wanting to derail this thread but reading it suggests that the majority of people on this forum are old f4rts which is quite alarming , as an old adage says "a forest is judged by state of its trees" and it seems not many youngsters are entering fishing
anyway I will be 65 soon so how many are over the age of 60 ? or should we hold a separate roll call ?

B

binka

No issue for me, I have an annual standing order in place and so long as I observe any increase and amend it accordingly the new book drops though my letterbox without a word being spoken or written.

OK, the bailiffs are very strict on the photo being attached to it and the book being signed but those are my very minor obligations and not theirs.

mikench

Reaction score
The odd bailiff has commented that I do look like George Clooney but in a Korean winter hat, snood and dark glasses I could be anybody !!! I am 51 but deluded and a compulsive liar!:wh