Unusual lake plant?

dicky123

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Has anyone fished a water with Stratiotes (water soldier) in it. Found a cracking little pond local to me, but already I can see these plants under the water, they look really weird in a pond. None are above the surface jet, but I bet they will be a real pain in the summer.

Rich.

kevt

Reaction score
Hi Rich

Yes the canals around Manchester used to have them before they started being used heavily by boats, I believe they are classed as an invasive specie like Himalayan Balsam and yes they are a nightmare, you can't get a line through them and they drop to the bottom at night and return to the surface in warm days. The fish didn't seem to be bothered by them and the water was always clear. The fish just stayed under them and we used to fish as close as possible to them a bit like water lilies but without stems, once the canal section was full you could not fish it

Kev T

The bad one

Reaction score
If the plant is this one
STRATIOTES ALOIDES (Water Soldier)
Then like hell is it classed as an invasive, it's a British Native and rare. Any waters where it's found are likely to be SSSI sites as it one of the very few water plants that will make English Nature schedule a waterbody.

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Could you articulate a little more on what English Nature means by 'a body of water' please my friend?

Rich.

kevt

Reaction score
Hi

I searched the link below and it seems that where it's found it can cause issues

Water Soldier invasion tackled successfully and senstively | Aquatic Solutions

It was a problem for boats and anglers as it took the canal over.

Quote: "However, though this native species is said to be rare, there are sites in the UK where the vigorous growth of Water Soldier has led to colonisation of the waterway, crowding other native species of aquatic plant and limiting biodiversity.
In cases where the lakes are used for leisure, the water body becomes unusable – or at best a hazard to users – as the sharp serrated leaf edges can cut swimmers or those handling the plants.

Do you want to avoid the following problems with Water Soldier ?

• Decreased plant biodiversity in your lake
• Potential alteration in the surrounding water chemistry, which may harm aquatic organisms.
• The hindering of recreational activities, such as boating, angling and swimming.
• Sharp serrated leaf edges cutting swimmers or those trying to handle the plants

Hopefully this clarifies what I said as it stopped us fishing, I can't comment on these plants being only is SSSI areas as these were in the Bridgewater Canal along with shopping trollies!

KevT

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
A body of water, or a waterbody is just a generic name given to any water running or Stillwater and can and does encompasses rivers, streams, ditches, lakes, reservoirs, canals, pond, etc.

Kev there’s no doubt WS “can” cause perceived problems due to it vigorous growth potential over a given time period. But it must be borne in mind that the piece is from a commercial company that earns its living by biggin’ up problems. Financial self-interest perhaps?

Some of which I take professional disagreement with, alteration in the surrounding water chemistry, which may harm aquatic organisms, crowding other native species of aquatic plant and limiting biodiversity…..really?
The native plant has evolved and co-evolved since the last Ice Age with the native flora and fauna they appear to be claiming it harms. It would be very interesting to see the science they are using to back up the claims made.

You say it caused problems on the Bridgey but don’t say where on it this was. It was also on the Rochdale Canal around the Hollingwood Ave area and couple with Arrowhead, Bladderwort (my id and find) and Water Plantain got the canal SSSI scheduled from the Manchester boarder to Rochdale. The same applied to the landlocked Hollingwood Branch Canal at Little Moss, WS being the principle reason for its scheduling.

The fact that it has SSSI status doesn’t preclude what it was scheduled for from being managed. On the contrary, in many cases it is necessary that it is to keep it, the site healthy and thriving

dicky123

Reaction score
I've been looking into this too, and many places are finding it a real problem to get rid of and are having to spend a lot of money on doing it.

It seems it causes more trouble than its worth. Having seen it too close up covering such a little pond is frightening. However at that pond size, raking it out is a viable option. I'll just be sure to wear gloves when doing it.

Thanks Guys.