What do you 'cook' on the bank

fishplate42

Reaction score
Call me slow on the uptake but I have jyst realised there is much more that can be done other than boiling a kettle for tea and frying bacon on a small portable gas stove. Pot Noodles comes to mind after seeing Danny, of Danny's angling blog fame, eating them recently. I don't think I have tried them for over 40 years but I have bought one to 'test'. There are Cuppa-Soups as well but what else do you guys cook on the bank?

I am also thinking of putting together a store cupboard box to keep in the van, stocked with 'Just add water' or 'open a can' type stuff that has a virtually everlasting shelf life. Any suggestions?

Ralph.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dependng on the length of the trip will depend on what I cook.

A single day trip still means something hot for lunch and also something warming at the end of the day.

Personally I think pot noodles and the like are not fit for human consumption and in very little time you can make something far more appetising even on the bank.

Often I will make a stew or casserole at home and freeze single portions for re-heating on the bank, or cooking some sauages and putting them into a wide mouth flask full of hot soup; vegetble or ministrone.

For a weekend session then I take both a double burner and a Cobb Oven so the menu will be wide and variable.

Note: being diabetic it is of paramount importance that I eat reglarly and paticulaly before injections . . . .

chrissh

Reaction score
i take theres in the colder mouths

Morrison or Asda £1.49 (Look What We Found)
Chilli Con Carne 250g
Beef Chilli Con Carne 250g
Staffordshire Chicken Tikka 250g
Beef bolognese with fresh Italian herbs250g
Chicken Casserole250g
Beef Meatballs 250g

[url=https://postimages.org/] [/URL]

naxian62

Reaction score
Like Mr. Jacobs. Cook at home and re-heat. Than it always tastes good.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pot Noodles! for the love of God, what would the members say:eek:mg:

Any thought of us ever having a day together fishing won't include lunch.

Our kitchen is open plan and er indoors doesn't take kindly to the way I like to cook a fillet steak i.e. quickly over a very high heat, I must admit it does smoke the house out even with the extractor on, problem solved, I take my fishing primus into the garden and let the neighbours get a waft of my limited culinary skills.

So Ralph, I'll bring the stove and pan, you bring a fat slab of prime fillet, if not I'll stick to sarnies and concentrate on the fishing.

Teabreak

Reaction score
I keep soup, porridge, oxo and coffee sachets in my van. Then I nick sugar and wooden stirrers from coffee shops. The porridge is surprisingly nice and about 50p a pot.

David Gane

Reaction score
Another vote for Pot Noodle here. To make matters worse, in addition to the usual tinned chilli, stew etc I like a bit of Cadbury's Smash too.

There. Nobody's going to talk to me now :-(....

sagalout

Reaction score
I go fishing not camping so I take a flask of black coffee and some sarnies (hopefully there was some meat from last nights dinner to put in them otherwise I have to pickup some road kill on the way).

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have not eaten any of this dried stuff for years. At home, we cook from scratch, and the only concession to processed food is tinned tomatoes, beans and cereal. A while ago I was tempted to try a Fray Bentos tinned pie, something I remember from my youth. Everyone said don't do it you will be disappointed, but it wasn't that bad. I am going to try all the nasty sounding ultra convenience meals I can find. I don't want pre-cooked ready meals - I can make those myself and freeze them. I want the dried stuff that comes to life with a kettle of water. Anyone remember Vesta curry? I think that was dried and sold in a box... I don't intend to live on them; I am just talking about hot day-trip lunches.

If I am staying overnight, I will be cooking from scratch and make a thing of it!

Ralph.
[h=1][/h]

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
I go fishing not camping so I take a flask of black coffee and some sarnies (hopefully there was some meat from last nights dinner to put in them otherwise I have to pickup some road kill on the way).

I’m with you there - fishing not camping. I take a Tesco £3 meal (sarnie, juice, crisps), a choccy bar, and a large flask of black coffee. That’s generally enough to keep me going all day, and can be spread out so as to avoid interruption to the main event ??????

Cheers, Bob

Keith M

Reaction score
For a day session I usually take a carton of milk or bottle of milkshake together with either a Duck wrap or a Cornish pastie together with an apple-turnover or something along those lines.

if I’m fishing overnight then I take some stew or big soup for eating during the night and some eggs, bacon and/or sausages and some tomatoes for breakfast plus some water and tea/coffee for dinking.

When I used to spend two or more days & nights on the bank I used to take eggs, beans and sausages for brekkie , peas, instant mash, steak and stuff like that for during the days plus have plenty of bacon/sausage rolls for during the nights plus plenty of freshly made tea & coffee.

Keith

Last edited:
B

binka

I can't do Pot Noodles, I've tried and I like 'em but they leave me writhing with stomach pain and feeling as if I've been poisoned!

Maybe it's the endless list of E numbers?

I sold my cooking gear last year but I've recently decided to replace it as I miss it so much on winter days and overnight sessions. I've cooked stews, omelettes and many self-concoctions in addition to the regulation mixed fry up and you can fancy stuff up as much as you like but there really is nothing to beat...

ck1.JPG

It's amazing how many times I thought I was alone on a river until the waft of that little lot drifted downwind.

fishplate42

Reaction score
One of the reasons I like the idea of Pot Noodles is they will not interfere with the fishing time, and I get something hot to eat. More so in the winter, I like to have breakfast when I get there - usually before 07:00 after an hours drive to avoid the traffic. I don't intend to set up a bankside gourmet kitchen. I was just wondering what other dried stuff is out there having never contemplated it before.

Ralph.

mikench

Reaction score
Some great names among the posts! I use a Cobb BBQ and it's brill particularly on the beach. Vesta beef curry and chow mein are just so nostalgic and are just the thing when it's cold and wet and you are under canvas( fishing brolly)! I usually manage with a butty but plan to cook sausages next time out at a certain venue!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
In nigh on 50 years fishing I've never cooked bankside. I can recall brewing up a few times many,many years ago but cooking....never,probably because I dont do long sessions.

However....Santa left me a little stove so this year I will certainly be brewing up bankside and from there its only a short hop to a bacon sarnie or something equally simple. Whether I will actually bother when the time comes remains to be seen but the Big Feller and I have a couple of trial overnighters planned and I cannot see that working without the ability to knock up something hot.

The thought of dawn breaking over the lake accompanied by a steaming hot cuppa and a bacon butty is most appealing.

B

binka

It's amazing how little room a small (yet powerful) stove, 200grm gas canister and frying pan with folding handle can take up in your kit.

Little if any more room than a pack out in my experience and certainly little extra weight as I often used to take them on long walks to river swims.

I've no doubt at all that there have been many days where I would have struggled to stick it out from dawn 'til dusk in winter without a good bit of freshly cooked, hot grub and there's absolutely no need at all to cart a mobile kitchen around to achieve it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Flask of coffee, butties and a bit of chocolate, In winter its flask of coffee small flask of soup and butties and bit of chocolate, I go fishing not camping, also if I did decide to do an overnight session, the wife would have
changed the locks on the door before I got home. :D

sagalout

Reaction score
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon sarnie, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Gregs £2, bacon roll, 3 slices of bacon and a cuppa coffee. Brilliant, if only they'd deliver to the swim.

In all honesty if I felt I could spend time cooking rather than fishing when I'm at the waters edge it would be a sign I'd had enough and I'd pack up and go home.

Philip

Reaction score
No ones mentioned Pasta ? Ideal bankside meal, you only need 1 pot and can actually be healthy as well depending what you chuck on it.

Pot of water ...bring to boil ...throw in a packet of supermarket fresh stuffed pasta of choosing, some cook in as little as 1 minute. Drain off water with fork. Throw on some pesto or tomatoe sauce from jar. Stir round with same fork , chuck on a handful of rocket salad from one of those ready washed bags of salad. If your feeling extravagant, sprinkle on some parmesan from a packet. Eat from cooking pot.

Yummy, quick, healthy and you only have 1 pot and 1 fork to clean up after.

For the morning, Same pot, Milk, Porridge oats, chuck in a broken up banana. Bring to boil, simmer for 5 mins stir in some honey. Replace fork with spoon and eat from pot.

Agreed not as good as a morning bacon sarnie but if your fat & unfit (..hands up ?) ..its a quick & healthy alternative .

Last edited: