Angling on facebook

flightliner

Reaction score
I look in on Facebook angling groups from time to time and to be honest find it a bit puerile .
Plenty of guys showing catches but most comments being little more than one word, no constructive and informative debate, in short a poor substitute for what I feel a forum is all about.
Anyone else feel the same ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I don't use facebook, but I know of some clubs who have on open page, ex members can post caustic comments on it about the clubs as can anyone else, I think angling forum/clubs facebook accounts should be a closed group for members only, I can see where you are coming from, someone posts a pic of fish and gets a comment saying "nice pic/fish" and no follow up on details of capture tactics bait etc

john r stockburn

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean , cheers , well done mate ,(they appear to be the educated ones who can string three words together)
and carp anglers who seem to think highlighting a can of lager and a spliff accompanied with a mud pig gasping for air is the setting for a David Attenborough award makes the ideal photo and narrative
I deleted several of my accounts on FB

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've joined several groups in the past twelve months, I don't look apon them as a substitute for forums, a place to pick up useful info? definitely. Yes there is a lot of dross and repetitive responses to a pic of a nice fish but gloss over them and some useful nuggets of info can often be found.

I've also picked up some nice kit most probably at a lower price than I might have had to pay on a well known auction site.

I'm still a relative newbie compared to a lot of members on this forum and have a lot to learn and venues to discover. Most recently I've joined a river Medway group and have gleaned info than I cannot find on the various fishing forums.

Last edited:

john r stockburn

Reaction score
I've joined several groups in the past twelve months, I don't look apon them as a substitute for forums, a place to pick up useful info? definitely. Yes there is a lot of dross and repetitive responses to a pic of a nice fish but gloss over them and some useful nuggets of info can often be found.

I've also picked up some nice kit most probably at a lower price than I might have had to pay on a well known auction site.

I'm still a relative newbie compared to a lot of members on this forum and have a lot to learn and venues to discover. Most recently I've joined a river Medway group and have gleaned info than I cannot find on the various fishing forums.

you may have picked up some "nice kit" but look at how many people have been deprived of "nice kit" on there ,....mostly brain dead's and thieves , skip rats , smack heads and such
as I say I deleted a lot of my accounts because of the numpties

john r stockburn

Reaction score
and I forgot to add , speak out and your computer is either hacked or you get hounded ,....a collective meeting point for more to55ers then you can shake a stick at

Another Dave

Reaction score
There is a local history group that i sometimes check. Old photos of the town, and some good discussions (one of my obsessions is where the rivers and ponds used to be). But the format baffles me, on a forum i know how to find a recent discussion or do a search.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's not my cup of tea, and my use is pretty limited, but I'd have to say Facebook, like the internet in general, contains all sorts. There are pages that, to an outsider, are no more interesting than than other people's trivial chat and banter usually is. The general tone is often grating, too - plenty of self-appointed experts out there firing off judgements and plenty of people getting loud and over-heated. But you can find interesting stuff, too. I've recently joined groups that revolve around tackle items I particularly like, and found the buying/selling opportunities are better than eBay in many respects. And a couple of my local clubs have well-managed pages that are very informative and open up live channels of communication.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Yeah you're probably right, the tone on most messageboards is unbearable, you have to be selective. No doubt facebook is the same but it still annoys me so i'm going to stay entrenched.

rich66

Reaction score
Most are rubbish, you get the odd one that’s good. You can pick up the odd bit of useful info. Facebook is the home of trolls and the keyboard warrior so use it carefully and it’s ok.
Pleasure Fishing Uk on Facebook is probably the most polite and informative I know. There’s no name calling, P taking etc.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
and I forgot to add , speak out and your computer is either hacked or you get hounded ,....a collective meeting point for more to55ers then you can shake a stick at

John, you need to learn to be more open with your views

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
you may have picked up some "nice kit" but look at how many people have been deprived of "nice kit" on there ,....mostly brain dead's and thieves , skip rats , smack heads and such
as I say I deleted a lot of my accounts because of the numpties

Surely it’s all about choice? I cherrypick and choose to look at contributions I find either entertaining, useful or both.

No different from tv which is 90% rubbish but the remainder is good enough to make paying the licence worthwhile.

Certain forums on the other hand.........

I honestly do not come across the “brain dead, smack heads and thieves” as you’ve had the misfortune to encounter, my other half hasn’t either who spends countless hours speaking with family on the other side of the world.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've never 'done' Facebook or anything similar simply because I don't have a need, in the same way I don't find it necessary to have latest mobile phone that does everything. One club I belong to has seen the Forum almost come to a halt as many of the original posters now use FB for communication and the club management has seen this as the way forward. Unfortunately, this means the posters now sit in two camps (those with FB and those without) with the non FB users missing out on club chat because if you use one medium you obviously don't/can't use the other.
I am of the opinion FB and the like come under the heading 'if you're not on it, you're not in the gang' type of thing, although being of a certain age and classed as a BOF (Boring Old Fart) I could be wrong on this, and it is the 'way forward'. In other words Forums as we know them (within clubs) may well become a thing of the past, eventually.....

I'm quite happy to live out the remainder of my life without these mediums and as my mobile also stays in my pocket and not clamped to my hand (what happens when these folk go to bed?) I'm pleased to say it will not be me walking into you when you are out shopping on Marlow High St. et al.

Long live Fishing Magic with proper folk who enjoy, in the main, to chat and impart decent conversation/ information. Goodness know what I would do I if it went to the dogs!!

ps I fully accept FB also has decent posters and I could well be missing out. I'll live with it..

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have to admit that I find this a bit baffling, must be me! You don’t have to “join” Facebook Mike, the majority of its content is free to peruse, yes there are groups that require joining, no different to forums when you wish to contribute yourself.

I say again it’s about choice, thank the Lord we still have it! I choose not to go into certain pubs, fish at some venues, go on particular forums, there’s good and bad wherever you go, the knack is applying a sensible filter and getting the best out of everything on offer.

seth49

Reaction score
I just go on for a look, my local tackle shop is on, as is one of my fishery’s, and a mate of mine who travels all over the country to fish, has a page as well, as far as the social side, no thanks.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I use Facebook all the time now as the websites I was on have all but died, you have to cherry pick the sites you go on and delete the rubbish and blanks that use it.

There are some Private sites on Facebook which are well moderated and have a club membership.

Like anything, it can be abused, its down to who looks after the sites, most are very good.

Bob

thecrow

Reaction score
I belong to just 2 angling pages both of which are closed, any rubbish and you are gone.

I also use a couple of local history pages that are informative and interesting, as others have said be selective about the pages you view and FB wont be what a lot of none members think it is, use the privacy settings and control who see's what.