Weed Rake

iain t

Reaction score
One of the Tench/Carp stillwaters i fish this time of year is always weedy. Can anyone recommend a decent weed rake?. I could of made one from scrap metal myself but my welder blew up last year.

mikench

Reaction score
Ditto to that Iain ! I bought one and it is well made! Only used the once as yet though!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have not clicked onto the link, I use 2 rake heads back to back and bound together on the small shaft then have the length of rope coming from it to required length, Do not forget to stand on loose end when you throw it in, ;)another rake can be made with an old cycle wheel,barbed wire wrapped around the edge,rope tied to edge of wheel to reuired length,

Richox12

Reaction score
One of the Tench/Carp stillwaters i fish this time of year is always weedy. Can anyone recommend a decent weed rake?. I could of made one from scrap metal myself but my welder blew up last year.

Why do you need to weld anything ? Mine is home made out of a length of something like 1" square steel tube with a giant 'Eye' bolt in the middle and lots of 6mm bolts at intervals either side of that. I have another which uses 6" nails and the steel is filled with lead.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A variation on the theme.

My estate lake is about 5ft deep and it's not necessary to fish more than a rod length out for the tench, roach and bream. The lake bed isn't weedy but does have a good depth of silt. I fancied a way of stirring up this silt releasing bugs and insects, throwing out a rake on a rope wasn't burying itself sufficiently in the silt for my liking so a different approach was needed.

I bought a Harris 5m extending pole and attached a purpose made Gardner rake, it does the job a treat and it's amazing how quickly the fish respond after kicking up clouds of silt. I've got a rope to hand for other waters when I need to get further out to clear weed.
image.jpg

image.jpg

B

binka

How much you got to spend?

It's not my cup of tea but how about this beast for a splashless version, the Aspen Lake Rake...

If the clip doesn't embed just do a YouTube search

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was that setup that gave me the idea.

iain t

Reaction score
Thanks, chaps for your input. Jakes Rakes seem to tick the boxes

paulas

Reaction score
aspen weed rake isn't cheap but in my opinion works really well,,,I have used it from both the bank and from a boat.