Re-introduced Sea Eagles will save us from Cormorants

davestocker

Reaction score
Not sure whether I believe it. Keith Arthur was sceptical. But what a wonderful sight it might be.....................................

L

Laurie Harper

Oh dear.This could get silly. What will they have to re-introduce to eat the sea eagles when they start munching everything in sight. Pterodactyls?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The African Fish eagle would tackle birds, especially cormorants.

Magnificent bird the fisheagle.

Tommo!

Reaction score
I'm sure this 'story' came up a few seasons ago.

Isn't there a nursery rhyme about this?

Something about an old lady who swallowed a fly?

So when the Fish Eagle has eaten all the Cormorants, Ducks, Coots, Moorhens, Basking fish we're trying to protect from the Cormorants, where do they go?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Sea Eagles live near the sea. Cormorants live inland as we've all seen them on lakes etc.

The Sea Eagles will only eat any seaside cormorants when our aleady depleted fish stocks have been depleted even more.

Now if the Sea Eagles move inland!!!

Glosfisher

Reaction score
White-Tailed Sea Eagles will take fish i(f they're close to the surface), waterbirds (swimmingon surface), carrion (on beach or inland) and offal ( following returning fishing boats).

It seems likely they did come inland a long time ago but their preferred habitat are relatively undisturbed cliffs near the open sea or a large lake. So it's fairly unlikely we're going to see vast numbers of them just yet. Be nice if we did, though.

blankety blank

Reaction score
There's been a bit of a hoo-haa about this proposal locally coming on top of the cormorant plague. At the moment it looks as if the weight of opinion is against it.

It would be a magnificent sight though, even better than the marsh harriers that one now sees quite often.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
This would not solve the problem.

We need to sort the reason the fish have gone from the sea. Not bring in soloutions to sort out the cormarants moving in land because they are starving on the coast.

That means stop commercial fishing whithin a mile of the shore. That would improve the year classes moving through benifiting everybody. But thats never going to happen as for some reason the commercial sector as more pull in goverment. Oneday though it might happen. No doubt to late though as always.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You are 100% right Bryan, but the real answer is to have a three mile coastal ban on foreign fishing boats as well as the 1 mile fishing ban. The only drawback with that is the British government who haven't got the necessary bottle to enforce it. All bow before the EEC.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Are there any big birds that eat Eastern Europeans? Could solve the job problems as well........

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Round here we now have otters on all our club waters.

We have night fishing theiving eastern europeans camping and barbequeing our fish on one of our club waters.

We also have cormorants on top of all that. Whats a fish eagle between friends???

Theres only one way to stop cormorants and thats to introduce pellets into their diet. 22/177 and best of all courtesy of a 3 inch magnum 12 bore on full choke.

davestocker

Reaction score
I was told a 10 bore would be better, but you're not allowed to use them. Too much wounding with a 12 bore, I was told.

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>trev (100M bronze) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Are there any big birds that eat Eastern Europeans?</blockquote>
I've seen a few video's of them..... not sure how relevant it is though!