A step in the right dirrection?

Molehill

Reaction score
New farming rules for water to take effect within days - Farming UK News

It's a start for better river quality, at least a step forwards and not backwards and every little helps.

This bit doesn't exactly fill me with positivity: "“Although Defra does have the powers to prosecute in cases of non-compliance, it has explained that this will be the last port of call.” but hey-ho beggars can't be choosers!

Unfortunately I think Wales does not come under DEFRA (We are NRW) and my local river Towy is being used as little more than a ditch to dump farming waste - mainly from the dairy farming industry downstream of me - it seems every week there is an incident reported by anglers and little action taken.

Any thoughts on the above news and will it have a future impact on river quality?

john r stockburn

Reaction score
I do not think they have the staff or will to police the powers they have now , some farmers will just keep loading C rap into the waterway systems because they have always done it
even when pollution is reported nothing is done unless fish can be seen belly-up

thecrow

Reaction score
The laws are already in place to prevent farmers spreading fertilisers and slurry near to a waterway, it doesn't stop it happening and I doubt if these "tweaks" will change that, not until a farmer is taken to court and properly punished for the damage they do, in my experience they are a law unto themselves.