Roving and minimum gear

Chevin_Rutilus

Reaction score
so the fishing I enjoy is roving with minimal tackle on local rivers and streams however with the close season in forced to rush canals and lakes. Now I'm happy to rove a round a lake but now how would you approach a canal using roving tactics. Would I pretend it's a river and drop in next to features with a link leger or float?

Keith M

Reaction score
so the fishing I enjoy is roving with minimal tackle on local rivers and streams however with the close season in forced to rush canals and lakes. Now I'm happy to rove a round a lake but now how would you approach a canal using roving tactics. Would I pretend it's a river and drop in next to features with a link leger or float?

Yes, a canal isn’t a lot different to a slow moving river apart from the flow rate changing continually when the locks upstream are opened and closed.

Look for similar features that you can find on a river like overhanging branches, side streams entering or running out (NB. Most locks have short overspill streams which often run back into the canal downstream of the lock). Wide turning bays, bridges, weedbeds etc.

Most canals have near and far shelves and knowing how far out these shelves are is a good starting point as these are often good places to find your shoal fish, also if you have Chub or Carp in your canal it’s often worth fishing tight up to the far bank as these often browse along the silk weed and the insects and freshwater shrimps living amongst this silk weed.

On my local canal (the Grand Union) the Bream can often be found either on the deepest centre of the canal or in the slower turn-around bays, the Perch are often found near to wooden piles or around bridge supports or moored barges or along the near shelves chasing minnows and small Gudgeon; and we often find shoals of Roach patrolling along the top of the far shelf and down its slope.
Overhanging trees are usually places which hold Roach, Chub, and Carp all keeping out of the sun feeding on whatever insects fall out of the branches or big perch looking for anything edible including small fish in the dappled light; and the Chub seem to hug tight to the far bank and rarely venture away from there or amongst tree roots and under overhanging vegetation.

best of luck

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I wonder if it would be better to walk along a canal and bait several swims then fish them in turn on the way back than actual roving. The amount of swims would be determined how long you intend to fish and walk initially and how much it is unattended. I have never tried this on a canal as I have not fished them much but even taking Keith's points in the post above they always seem devoid of features to me, few or no overhanging trees or bushes, sweeping bends etc, at least the ones I have fished and its hard to locate where the fish actually are. But several swims baited up might mean you will get lucky on one of them. I don't know really, just a thought, what do canal anglers think?

Last edited:

Chevin_Rutilus

Reaction score
Thanks for that kieth, the whole post is that interesting in going to screenshot it to refer back to.

Cheers Mark that's what I thought about doing maybe baiting up near trees, bushes, and boats etc with a baitdropper full of o liccy bread and maggots and then drop in each swim on way back fishing a link leger with maggots or worm on hook

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks for that kieth, the whole post is that interesting in going to screenshot it to refer back to.

Cheers Mark that's what I thought about doing maybe baiting up near trees, bushes, and boats etc with a baitdropper full of o liccy bread and maggots and then drop in each swim on way back fishing a link leger with maggots or worm on hook

Sounds good to me, you might just hit a spot.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Cheers Mark that's what I thought about doing maybe baiting up near trees, bushes, and boats etc with a baitdropper full of o liccy bread and maggots and then drop in each swim on way back

All very well if there's no boat traffic but when locks open and close the flow can wash all your feed away, as can passing boats....