How to bait up for Roach

antiquea

Reaction score
Any tips on how to bait up for a big bag of Roach and skimmers? I normally use vitalin for my carping, but I feel this might be a bit overkill for silvers.
I was thinking of maybe breadcrumb with sweetcorn and hemp?
How much should I introduce at the start of a session?

antiquea

Reaction score
How much should I start with, and how many areas should I add bait?

This is geared towards more pole fishing.

Thanks!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I use mashed bread with a few grains of sweetcorn thrown in as ground bait, little and not too often, flake or tiny 1/4 inch bits of crust on the hook, maybe bread punch in your case. And then try the sweetcorn every now and then which often sorts out the better roach if they are having it, sweetcorn is a funny old bait. I usually just nick the hook as fine as possible in the blunt end of the sweetcorn. Works for bream as well but I find something sweet coating the sweetcorn helps them along like jam or something, they have a liking for something sweet. Nothing wrong with adding hemp as well but I usually rely on the bread and sweetcorn but hemp is a well known good one. bream and roach will take a variety of baits and some days they will prefer one over another so, sometimes I take a few worms, a couple of small balls of flavoured paste, anything really just to give them a try if the fish are not biting but the bread and sweetcorn are my start off mainstays.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If fishing a Stillwater or canal, I would have thought mashed bread would be to filling for roach fishing,
Depending on the weather I use liquidized bread that has been frozen, liquidized, and sieved a few times so it is
as fine as possible, that way you get the attraction but less filling,add hemp if required but not to much or there
is a possibility the fish get preoccupied with it, don't be tempted to keep topping up when using bread,
you can be fishing for bites not fish, either pinkie or bread punch or Small piece if flake on the hook, I use the Drennan Flake Punches as well as the bread punches, If using corn a good tip is to squeeze the centre out and lightly
hook the skin, this creates a slower sinking bait, again with the attraction but not as filling.
You will get other responses to your question, some may be the same and some will differ, everyone has their own way of doing things and working out the best way to do them,
If you fish a river I would use mashed bread, that way you have a chance of catching chub as well.
I think your question is more suited to pole fishing or short range waggler fishing, liquidized bread can both be
potted in and thrown gently with a slight squeeze to hold it together.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think Mark is right for still water and canals which must be what your thinking of Antiquea, I forget sometimes I am mainly a river angler and mashed bread would sit on a lake or canal whereas it gets washed down in a river and a finer approach is probably better on a canal or lake. Try a bit of sweet stuff on your sweetcorn though if bream are around, I have found that generally works on still waters as well as rivers.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
There's a difference between roach and skimmers insofar as their feeding patterns. For a lake or canal:-
As a rule roach like a falling bait and skimmers like a bait on the deck.
If I was setting up 2 pole lines (one for each) I'd have my skimmer line further out than my roach line. I'd feed the far line by cupping in a Fishmeal/ sweet ground-bait
and set my rig at dead depth or just laying on by an inch.
My shorter roach line would be a lighter strung out rig set half an inch off bottom.
This line I'd just feed with baits that sink slowly, maggots, caster hemp etc.
As at rule I've found skimmers don't like bait falling on their heads so don't re-feed or they will make a swift exit. Roach seem to like following bait down and intercepting it on the drop so keep pinging or throwing bait in regularly to hold them in your swim.

antiquea

Reaction score
So have a steady amount of small particles for Roach, and solid ground bait on the deck for bream/skimmers?