A World without Carp?

steve2

Reaction score
If a virus wiped out carp would you still go fishing?
Would the death of the so called saviour of angling bring about the end of angling?
Being what is now classed as a pleasure angler it would make no difference to me.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I'm quite happy to catch them but don't target them. There are plenty of other fish as the saying goes.

mikench

Reaction score
I like catching them but then I like catching anything particularly at the moment! Even the ubiquitous bream have a compelling attraction just now!

Wasn't there a film with a similar name to the post starring Robin Williams?:wh

thecrow

Reaction score
I think it would bother the tackle trade enormously if Carp were wiped out, happily that's not going to happen any more than me getting my wish to fish Chub free rivers, to me they are just a nuisance that I could well do without.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Absolutely! As others have said, I don't have a problem with catching them occasionally, but so many waters are now dominated by them that it is imprudent to use light tackle to target say roach, which is a shame.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A bit like some women I've known , can't live with them, can't live without them. The tackle industry would take a big blow as already said, my club is split between carp anglers and silvers anglers, not sure the club would survive without the carp fraternity.

Match fishing without the awful F1s! Heaven forbid.

rayner

Reaction score
If carp all snuffed it fishery owners would stock with something foreign.
folk would soon switch.
So long as they don't all start catching silvers and ruining my fun I couldn't care less.

nottskev

Reaction score
This thread feels familiar....I'd say I have nothing against carp per se. But because they are robust, fast-growing, competitive feeders which can stand the overcrowding, re-capture etc, they've been the fish around which the commercial fishing model has developed. So for me, and I accept it's just my view , the type of fishing on offer, with its car parks, cafes, toilet blocks, on-site tackle shops and closely pegged, overstocked, characterless pools, is a bit too close to shopping and a visit to a mall. I know there are some lovely ones, and I understand, increasingly, as I get older, the benefits of their convenience. The general model though, involves increasing the catch rate whilst decreasing many of the things that attract us, or some of us, to the waterside.

So, I'm ok with carp, and when I bump into them accidentally, it's a challenge to get them out, and I don't pretend I'm not pleased if I do. I can see the attraction of fishing for them specifically, although I don't think I'll be taking it up. If I have a gripe, it's that we've overdone it with the commercial scene, where catching carp in huge quantities at unprecedented sizes has rather devalued them. And that some mixed fisheries have been spoiled by their thoughtless introduction.

Molehill

Reaction score
They have their place, I just wish that wasn't virtually everywhere. Usually early season (first bit of warmth) I like to visit a club lake and put a few bends in the rod, shake off the winter. But I soon bore and could never do it day after day.

Rest of the time they are a pest, put a light float out for roach and away it goes with another of the brutes charging about the lake and a wasted 15 minutes ahead. It takes all my self control not to point the rod top at the fish and immediately pull to break, tie another hook on is quicker and less disturbance.

I would be happy to reduce them by say 75%?

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. I occasionally “treat” myself to a session or two per season catching Pasties but that’s it. There’s so much more to fishing than Carp.

thecrow

Reaction score
Do anglers that target roach on rivers feel the same about Barbel and Chub? they must have the same effect on disturbing swims and testing/breaking tackle as Carp do so why is it that its always (and I no longer Carp fish seriously) about the Carp, if anglers want to keep away from them perhaps they should consider fishing rivers or would that be just a bit more difficult than catching from still waters? :wh

peterjg

Reaction score
The nuisance fish in rivers is not (yet) carp it is trout!

The bad one

Reaction score
When's it happening next week? oh I hope so! And yes I remember a time before they polluted every water they've been put in around my parts and that includes rivers. :redface::miserable:

B

binka

If a virus wiped out carp

Oh if only... :whoo:

Carp factories everywhere...

Redundant! :triumphant:

Joking aside it's a sad state of affairs when something that was once very special becomes a damned nuisance through mankind's commercial perversion.

john step

Reaction score
I must be about the only old dinosaur on here that likes them ........in certain places. I also like lots of other fish.

I suspect its the commercial aspect that incurs the wrath. I have 3 different club waters containing carp at fairly low densities where they are not a pushover. They certainly don't interfere when I want to go for other species including BREAM (sorry S Kippy).

If a virus wiped them out overnight not only would the tackle trade diminish but there would some hungry people in places that use them for protein.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I haven't deliberately fished for carp in over two years. In that time, I've fished waters where they are present, but I've only hooked a few. I've probably landed no more than five or six and lost a couple more. I've had little problem avoiding them. I can understand people moaning about carp where they've been introduced to existing waters where they previously weren't present. However, if the water always had them, or was newly created and stocked with them, it's not really a valid complaint.

Sadly, the prevalence of anti-carp anglers on here says more about the demographics of FM than it does about reality. If you want to find an underfished water, just find one with few, small, or no carp whatsoever. People talk a good fight, but such waters just don't attract many anglers. I know of a reasonably local water that had long established head of tench, but no carp. The bloke that took it on couldn't make it pay, despite plenty of initial interest. I know of a few commies that have tried with silvers only ponds. They are invariably the least fished on the complexes concerned. My own syndicate lake was started quite categorically as a mixed fishery. However, the reality is that, without carp and out and out carpers, we couldn't attract enough interest to pay the bills.

nottskev

Reaction score
I must be about the only old dinosaur on here that likes them ........in certain places. I also like lots of other fish.

I suspect its the commercial aspect that incurs the wrath. I have 3 different club waters containing carp at fairly low densities where they are not a pushover. They certainly don't interfere when I want to go for other species including BREAM (sorry S Kippy).

I agree with that. Carp are not to blame for anything - it's a question of how they've been used in creating instant fisheries on a kind of fast-food model, and unwisely stocked in waters with traditional stocks . There's nothing wrong with a good burger - but it's depressing when fast food outlets are dominant and cafes and restaurants hard to find. Carp, for me, are the burgers of the current fishing scene. (I've stayed in countries where they eat them, carp, not burgers, and even baked by experts they're bland and lack texture.)

steve2

Reaction score
In case anyone is wondering I am not anti-carp in fact am going to target them for a while this year.

I put this post on because carp have become such a dominant species in the UK fishing and fishing tackle trade that there are now many anglers that fish for nothing else and would not fish for anything else.

As far as anti other fish go, yes there was a time when if I was after barbel I didn’t want chub taking the bait.
When I went single species hunting every other fish was to me a nuisance.