Skimmer/Bream bites

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know like me many don't even want them and I'm lucky in as much as I don't fish too many waters that are plagued with them.

However, there are plenty in the estate lake and they have to be endured whilst waiting for a tench to come along. In my limited experience I find the bites especially from skimmers infuriating, it seems they just toy with the bait whether it's meat or corn and more often than not I end up striking in frustration and foul hooking them quite regularly.

Is this quite usual? I'm fishing on the bottom in five foot of water laying on a couple of inches.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
The only real answer is to sit on your hands until the float really does go away rather than it just dithering. Frustrating, but at least the skimmers' interest in your bait can sometimes draw the attention of bigger or better fish which might bully the skimmers out of the way and (with any luck) snaffle your bait (if there's any left of it by then)...

thecrow

Reaction score
Fish bigger baits on a less sensitive set up maybe even mini or 12mm boilies so that at least you know there is still a bait at the hook end, or heres a novel idea fish where there are no skimmers :)

sagalout

Reaction score
Des Shipp think Fishing issue 21 suggests that the brims sit above the loose feed and are not really heads down feeding and thats when you get lots of indications (liners) and foul hookers. He was feeding a golf ball of feed over the top of the blanket of feed and that seemed to get their heads down for 2 or 3 fish then he would repeat.

sagalout

Reaction score
P.S. That was a golf ball sized ball of feed not an actual golf ball because apparently brims do not partake in golf.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
P.S. That was a golf ball sized ball of feed not an actual golf ball because apparently brims do not partake in golf.

So that's what Sergio was up to at the Masters!

mikench

Reaction score
On one of my waters where I have caught loads of bream, I have only ever fished for tench and not caught a single one! I have drawn two conclusions which I believe are irrefutable! One is that there are no tench and the second is that there are too many bream and they are not too discerning! Better than a blank though surely Skip!:rolleyes: