Redmire Pool Refurbishment

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The potential sale of Redmire has been retracted with the new generation of the owners preferring to restore Redmire to its former glory.

The pool will be desilted and there will be a full survey/repair to the damn wall as well as the placement of filters to prevent future silt build up.

The ghost carp that apparenly suddenly appeared (from nowhere) will be removed to maintaint he strain of the true Cap

The project is said to have a duration of up to 3 years . . . . .

Redmire Pool taken off the market before big revamp — Carpfeed

Last edited:
B

binka

That's great news, I'm really pleased to hear that.

This has been on going for some time and I believe it's as good an outcome as could have ever been hoped for.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that, any idea if it will still be open to the public when the work is done?

They have a planned duration of 3 years for ll the work.

Then there will have to be a period where it is allowed to mature, so maybe 5 years might be a good bet

I think, (not entirely certain) that bookings will still be taken . . . . probably best to check directly with Les Bamford the bailiff there.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Really very pleased to hear it will be restored ''to is former glory'...

Not everyone will agree I'm sure, but Redmire has its place in angling history and (imo) deserves to be preserved. Always a place of great mystery in my youth..

Would love to fish the place, but only if it looked a lot better than the last time I saw it.

B

binka

I hope the legendary gudgeon will not be overlooked in the grand scheme of things although I'm pretty sure they will find their own way, as they often tend to do.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not everyone will agree I'm sure, but Redmire has its place in angling history and (imo) deserves to be preserved. Always a place of great mystery in my youth..

Agreed Tony, the Angling Times reports of the 50's still seem very vivid and a different world from what was generally available................

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think Walker mentioned he, or someone else, caught a gudgeon of record proportions from Redmire, and considerably larger at that. Yates and co also had a gudgeon match in the 'Passion' series, did they not?

I suppose you could always offer to get the grass back in top nick, Binka and sneak a few hours fishing for them?

steve2

Reaction score
Can Redmire ever be the same again after this the answer is no. Redmire was a place of mystery a fabled place. After draining, landscaping and restocking the mystery will be gone forever.
Like every other stocked carp pond you will know there are xyz of 20lb carp.
The only way to bring back any mystery would be to close it to fishing for 20years after the work is done. This is what happened between stocking in the 1930’s and 1950’s and then open it to the select few.
This of course can't happen because it will have to be a "commercial” water to recoup some of the outlay.

seth49

Reaction score
One good thing they mentioned in the AT report was the fields around redmire, would no longer be arable but changed to pastureland to stop any pesticides and fertilisers running of the land, that should help the water quality.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Whilst it's possible to remove the silt and take steps to hinder further siltation/eutrophication you can't 'restore' it to what it was formerly as whatever biological state it was in from the 1930s to the 1970s is impossible to replicate in terms of fish stocks, natural food, weed etc.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Torn in a couple of directions on this... on the one hand, it's iconic nature - and for anglers my age that's more because of "A passion..." than it is **** Walker - suggests that this is time, effort and money well spent.

However, if I was to think about the state of many angling venues near me in the mid-80s.... then honestly, they've all changed out of all recognition. In my neck of the woods, the Cherwell, Windrush and Evenlode would all have had very different fish populations, I think Linear was still a gravel works in progress and the thames would have been matchfished in the 100s regularly.

However, things change. Not always for the better admittedly, but there it is. I think I'd be right in saying that in 1985, there weren't any barbel in the Wye (happy though if I need to be corrected on that, I was only 15 at the time and I don't think I'd even heard of it back then!). So looking back over the shoulder dreaming of what was, might just mean that you forget to look forward at what might be.

The reality is for me that I will probably never fish there, though I do go an visit that neighbouring river on every occasion that I can! I'm happy for it to only ever live in my mind through Hugh Miles' camera.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I'd go there in a shot. I don't think for anyone of my age there is anywhere with the sheer mystery. Obviously a lot of that has gone, but from reading Quest for Carp, which I must have read a million times, to reading Casting at The Sun by Yates, I'd just love to go and (probably) blank there. I know its not all the same, but just to be there would be fine for me.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Regardless of how others see it I am of the identical opinion as Hugh Bailey....

Among family and friends I am well know as being something of a romantic and I make no excuses around that, so to say I would love to see it back in the condition it once was I suppose I'm saying I don't really care about the fish it might contain, but more to see it as it once was. I realise it couldn't be identical but it could look more unfished and overgrown. Of course I would want to fish it but it would never be about what I might (or might not) catch.
In moments when I have allowed my mind to drift I have even thought that should I ever have more than sufficient funds, and I mean a lot of dough, I would just buy the place and allow it to go back to how it once was - not necessarily to fish it, but to how it once looked............mysterious and with tons of history. I don't know of any other fishery capable of offering that IMO

I have been to the place and even walked around the main house and eventually the pool itself. This was in winter months and it didn't look at its best but I will never forget the experience. I stood in the swims of fame and just drank in the atmosphere....

As I said, a complete romantic at heart and happy to be so........................Seeing it fulfilled a childhood dream for me, but like Hugh I would go back like a shot!

Now where did I put my Lottery ticket.............................................

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It has been for a number of years imo but I was loathe to mention it during the carp/river or commercial threads.

Its a shame it will be dubbed with the dreaded "commercial " word because those that didn't know might think its probably just another featureless bung hole. Just had a look at some pictures and its the sort of place I would love to fish; regardless of any history or commercial tag its a stunning fishery!

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Its a shame it will be dubbed with the dreaded "commercial " word because those that didn't know might think its probably just another featureless bung hole. Just had a look at some pictures and its the sort of place I would love to fish; regardless of any history or commercial tag its a stunning fishery!

As it is at the moment it can be looked on as nothing more. I have no idea who the new regime are (anyone know the ins and outs) but I cant see them laying out what must have been a substantial amount of cash just for sentimental reasons unless tony's lottery ticket has already come up and he hasn't said anything :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I wish Crow, I wish!!

Still, always today................

I will let you know if anything substantial comes up and when I've bought the place - and pig's might fly!

I couldn't promise a 'fish-in' any time soon, though. Hohoho

Regardless, and on another subject; It is such a beautiful morning out there - already 13 degrees and rising. Spring is on the up at long last!!

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
According to the article in AT, the children of the Richardson family, who have had redmire estate for over thirty years have decided they want to keep it, for another generation and revive it, hopefully to its former glory.