Junior Rod or Whip?

pratty117

Reaction score
Hi Peeps
I managed to get out on the bank yesterday with a friends son. We fished a local farm pond for a couple of hours and caught some Roach and Carp on the waggler. I didn't fish myself so was happy to watch and help him. The problem was bless him that he struggled a bit with my 10ft float rod. I was doing the casting but it was the hitting of the bites and holding the rod he found a bit tricky. Has anyone any advice or tips on what might be best for him moving forward, at least until he is a bit older ( he's only 7). I was thinking maybe a small whip or even a short spinning rod perhaps? The pond we fished is pretty much 3-5ft in depth and we aren't fishing far out. I like the idea of a short spinning rod as it would be nice to teach him casting with a rod and reel but can see the benefits of a whip. I suppose I'm looking for something that is much more comfortable and fun for him to use. Coincidentally I've never fished a whip myself so this would be a learning curve for me too!! Any pointers or tips on what to buy would be really helpful.
Thanks in Advance
Adam

rayner

Reaction score
My choice for a seven year old would be a short whip, cheap ones are available and would be OK for a young angler.

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi Peeps
I managed to get out on the bank yesterday with a friends son. We fished a local farm pond for a couple of hours and caught some Roach and Carp on the waggler. I didn't fish myself so was happy to watch and help him. The problem was bless him that he struggled a bit with my 10ft float rod. I was doing the casting but it was the hitting of the bites and holding the rod he found a bit tricky. Has anyone any advice or tips on what might be best for him moving forward, at least until he is a bit older ( he's only 7). I was thinking maybe a small whip or even a short spinning rod perhaps? The pond we fished is pretty much 3-5ft in depth and we aren't fishing far out. I like the idea of a short spinning rod as it would be nice to teach him casting with a rod and reel but can see the benefits of a whip. I suppose I'm looking for something that is much more comfortable and fun for him to use. Coincidentally I've never fished a whip myself so this would be a learning curve for me too!! Any pointers or tips on what to buy would be really helpful.
Thanks in Advance
Adam

I've taught a few youngsters to fish, friends' children usually, and at first I favoured a mini rod and reel, as a more "real" and versatile set up.

But the truth was, the reel proved such an obstacle, fiddly, "foreign" ( a fixed spool reel is a weird device, if you're not an angler) and tangle-prone, that it was putting them off and proving far more trouble than it was worth. The short whip went down much better. With rod and reel, I was spending all the time undoing tangles etc.

I have a little carbon-composite telescopic whip I keep for these occasions. It's 4m, but you can take the top 3m out and use that if you like. It's got a soft action, so it's forgiving if the user is a bit unceremonious with bringing fish in, and I put a fairly strong line - 0.16/ around 5lb -on the rig, to avoid accidental breakages, with a simple little waggler set up with 2 or 3BB and just one shot down the line. I think the whip cost about £6!

So, personally, I always set up any complete beginner with a whip; there's still plenty to master, even without a reel which they can add in later.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
A whip is certainly easier for a youngster to get to grips with... I had both of mine using 10' whips when they were 3 or 4 years old, then the slowly graduated to the rod. In those early times of using a rod, if they were having a bit of a struggle connecting with bites, I might ask them if they wanted dad to do the striking and they could then bring the fish in.. assuming they'd missed a couple of fish they'd always agree to that. The point is, their then watching what you're doing, and learning from it.

My problem now is my 11 year old lad wants his own kit, his own swim, his own bait and nothing to do with me! Until that is, he gets a tangle, casts in a tree, hooks the bank or can't get a hook out... then its "Dad!......!"

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Interesting thread, one of my best friends has a boy about this age who wants to have a go but unfortunately Dad can’t fish, we tried with him years ago with interesting results. Sounds like the whip is the way forward for the little ones. I was taught with a 7ft pier rod and a fixed spool at about 7, remember it vividly.

Another Dave

Reaction score
My kids learnt to underarm cast in the garden before they were 7, set up a hula hoop for a target. A whip is easier though.

pratty117

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. It's interesting to hear different views and I'm in agreement that a whip is the way forward. I think it would work a treat on the pond we fish. I think I'll familiarise myself with a whip first before taking him!! I'm sure it's straight forward stuff. Nottskev have you any recommendations on a whip? I see sensas do one. Would I need any elastic in the top section?