Mono stretch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Talking hook lengths. Is there any particular brand of mono that is renowned for its stretching ability?

nottskev

Reaction score
Talking hook lengths. Is there any particular brand of mono that is renowned for its stretching ability?

Are you thinking of your estate lake tench? I've been using Drennan Supplex straight through in 5lb on rod and centrepin, and that's been very satisfactory. On a fixed spool I've got a pretty stretchy main line (Maxima) with a less stretchy hooklength (Silstar .16 or .18))

There are a few comments in this test you might find interesting

MAIN FISHING LINES FOR BAGGING-UP - TESTED - Angler's Mail

sam vimes

Reaction score
As a rule of thumb, if it's of a relatively high diameter, for its stated breaking strain, it's likely to be fairly stretchy.
Maxima is a reasonably good example, though the stretch is not necessarily a bad thing.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you thinking of your estate lake tench? I've been using Drennan Supplex straight through in 5lb on rod and centrepin, and that's been very satisfactory. On a fixed spool I've got a pretty stretchy main line (Maxima) with a less stretchy hooklength (Silstar .16 or .18))

There are a few comments in this test you might find interesting

MAIN FISHING LINES FOR BAGGING-UP - TESTED - Angler's Mail

Thanks for the link Kev. No it's not the tench I"m thinking about. It's my rigs for whip fishing. My use of the whip might not be conventional to some, a lot of the fish I catch are not being swung to hand, Rudd nearing 2lb, a few rogue bream 3to 4lb and some small carp. I enjoy fishing straight through to the tip without elastic so I'm thinking a forgiving hooklength, maybe even the complete whip line with plenty of stretch will cushion the lunges a bit better.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thanks for the link Kev. No it's not the tench I"m thinking about. It's my rigs for whip fishing. My use of the whip might not be conventional to some, a lot of the fish I catch are not being swung to hand, Rudd nearing 2lb, a few rogue bream 3to 4lb and some small carp. I enjoy fishing straight through to the tip without elastic so I'm thinking a forgiving hooklength, maybe even the complete whip line with plenty of stretch will cushion the lunges a bit better.

Go for Maxima, A friend uses it for all his pole rigs in various breaking strains and seems to catch well.
Also they reckon a heavier line is better for whip rig due to the way it is used.

B

binka

Another vote for Maxima from me, if I want stretch.

Another thing worth considering is tying your hooklinks longer as a longer hooklink will have a longer stretch, which might just come in handy with those last minute lunges at the net.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Daiwa sensor has a excellent stretch.
I have a few friends who only fish commercial waters and use nothing but a pole, they swear by sensor for their fishing and for the tench and carp fishing they ise 4lb and 6lb.

I use the same but straight through on my rod and reel.

flightliner

Reaction score
Have a look in Decathlon for "Carpelon" it's about the stretchiest line I've ever used..
It was my hooklength a few years ago when I played and landed a float caught Barbel of 14-1 that was running along submerged rocks.
When I looked at it afterwards it was like hairy string but it did the job with honours.
Of late I'm after biggish roach that are known hook shredders where tho not my hooklength I'm using it for long range work with a pair of rods that have slightly fast action that may help the roach to be bumped off.
At 6lb bs it's doing a good job, only lost one roach so far and that was seconds after the strike.
Again, not my hooklength It has recantly helped in aiding me land two double figure carp.
I have absolute confidence in the stuff as do numerous good anglers fishing a commercial close to where I live.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Mick CAPELAN is the trade name for all Decathlon gear ie hooks line rods etc! The line you have will have this name but a subordinate one as well! The french for line is fil! The spool may say Capelan xxxxxxx.

mikench

Reaction score
I only told you that so you could in turn look at the spool and tell us the name of the line!:) Mick I am sure it was either you or Teecee who recommended an Italian line called dip chromium pro which comes on 300 m spools and is only 0.165 mm at 3.55 kg bs!!! It is great line! :) This was a good recommendation!

I have seen Caperlan line at very low prices in France but had no idea it was any good!

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
If your hooklengths are short on your rigs it isn't really going to matter.

flightliner

Reaction score
I only told you that so you could in turn look at the spool and tell us the name of the line!:) Mick I am sure it was either you or Teecee who recommended an Italian line called dip chromium pro which comes on 300 m spools and is only 0.165 mm at 3.55 kg bs!!! It is great line! :) This was a good recommendation!

I have seen Caperlan line at very low prices in France but had no idea it was any good!

It must have been Tee Cee Mike as I've never used it.
Next time you're in France pick up some of the Decathlon fil and try it, it's a good reel line .

B

binka

Daiwa have been secretly testing the stretch on the next generation of Sensor...

dws.jpg

Obviously I'm joking, nothing that crinkly could stretch so far!

Incomiiiiiiiiiiiiiing... :peep: