Anyone know what these are for ?

SteveLG

Reaction score
Picked up a new reel today - Diawa Legalis 3012A - for my return to fishing.

There is a bag with 3 small plastic washers in it, anyone know what they are for and where they should go ?

IMG_20180413_213303.jpg

Cheers

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Someone posted a similar question on another fishing forum, I will see if I can find it , but I am sure they have something to do with spool/drag system, it is not detrimental if you do not use them,

sam vimes

Reaction score
They are likely to be for adjusting the line lay profile. If it's even without them, and you are happy with that, leave them in the packet and put them in the box.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me understand why the reel does not have perfectly good line lay from purchase (maybe they do).
Why the need for the washers.
Enjoy your new purchase mate and good luck with your return to fishing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me understand why the reel does not have perfectly good line lay from purchase (maybe they do). Why the need for the washers.

Reels should have perfectly even line lay fresh out of the box. However, the odd one doesn't. Then there are some folks that actually want the line to be biased towards the front or rear of the spool. Supplying washers allows the user to set up a reel to their preference. The majority of UK anglers will only ever want even, level, line lay. However, the vast bulk of reels are made for worldwide markets which may not share UK ideals.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
If it is a new reel surely the instructions would explain, not only what the washers are for, but how many to use for a specific line lay?

I understand what you are saying Sam but I can safely say with all the reels I have ever purchased (some very expensive) I have never found such washers in the reel box. Mainly Shimano, so maybe this only applies to Daiwa?

Personally, I don't need anything other than an even line lay so it wouldn't apply to me anyway, but it is interesting stuff anyway and thanks for the info.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
On the plus side at least it shows they care about these small matters but some instructions wouldn't be amiss. I like a sloping line lay for beach casting fixed spool reels for distance casting; higher at the back, you can normally get a bit more yardage and that might apply to some long distance coarse fishing situations and it can help trotting a bit as well. I usually set that up before I put line on though, put a sloping layer of tape or cloth strip on first, not sure how washers would achieve that.

Last edited:

yorkieman

Reaction score
My knowledge on fishing and tackle is very limited, but I was watching some reel tech replacing a clutch on Youtube and I wonder if not these are clutch friction plates?

Carrying clutch spares is strange though.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My knowledge on fishing and tackle is very limited, but I was watching some reel tech replacing a clutch on Youtube and I wonder if not these are clutch friction plates?

Carrying clutch spares is strange though.

I thought that, different levels of slip attained or just replacements for when they wear out which they tend to with a lot of usage.
Doesn't the reel have a parts diagram, if it has it should show where these washers go.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying Sam but I can safely say with all the reels I have ever purchased (some very expensive) I have never found such washers in the reel box. Mainly Shimano, so maybe this only applies to Daiwa?

I don't buy Daiwa reels, so I've only seen washers supplied with Shimano reels. You'll not see them with rear drag Shimano reels and they aren't supplied with every Shimano front drag reel.

On the plus side at least it shows they care about these small matters but some instructions wouldn't be amiss. I like a sloping line lay for beach casting fixed spool reels for distance casting; higher at the back, you can normally get a bit more yardage and that might apply to some long distance coarse fishing situations and it can help trotting a bit as well. I usually set that up before I put line on though, put a sloping layer of tape or cloth strip on first, not sure how washers would achieve that.

Pushing the spool forward, by adding washers, biases the line to the rear. Bringing the spool back, by removing washers, biases the line to the front.

My knowledge on fishing and tackle is very limited, but I was watching some reel tech replacing a clutch on Youtube and I wonder if not these are clutch friction plates? Carrying clutch spares is strange though.

They are an awful lot smaller than any clutch washers I've ever seen. Possibly the wrong material too.

Last edited:

yorkieman

Reaction score
Yes thinking about the material ( Nylon?) you could be correct Sam as Nylon wouldn't do much to create friction.

Spacers it is them ?

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Reels should have perfectly even line lay fresh out of the box. However, the odd one doesn't. Then there are some folks that actually want the line to be biased towards the front or rear of the spool. Supplying washers allows the user to set up a reel to their preference. The majority of UK anglers will only ever want even, level, line lay. However, the vast bulk of reels are made for worldwide markets which may not share UK ideals.

You learn something new everyday.:)

mikench

Reaction score
I have quite a few reels including several Shimano and none of them came with washers! That changed with my new Shimano X Aero 4000 baitrunner which did! I have filled both spools with line( using a very useful line reducer on one) and achieved a perfect level line lay! The washers I keep in the box!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I found the box for a Shimano Nasci reel I got a few years ago,there are 3 washers in that, I forgot all about
them, I am happy with the line lay on the reel, so they can stay in the box.