Spigot joint

mikench

Reaction score
I am aware of the difference between a spigot joint on a rod and the more normal one over the other joint! I believe the former is generally found on more expensive rods and gives strength to thinner blanks! My question is whether any of you have ever had a worn out spigot joint bearing in mind that each time a connection is made a minuscule layer of carbon is lost?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Spigot joints rarely push all the way on so any wear would be compensated for with a tighter fit. My spigot rods have been used to death and I've not noticed any wear at all.

B

binka

Spigot joints rarely push all the way on so any wear would be compensated for with a tighter fit. My spigot rods have been used to death and I've not noticed any wear at all.

Agree with that, a good spigot joint will have plenty of length left in it when the sections have been pushed together and still produce an action devoid of any noticeable flat spots.

nottskev

Reaction score
I am aware of the difference between a spigot joint on a rod and the more normal one over the other joint! I believe the former is generally found on more expensive rods and gives strength to thinner blanks! My question is whether any of you have ever had a worn out spigot joint bearing in mind that each time a connection is made a minuscule layer of carbon is lost?

Yes - over a long time, I have found a spigot joint can become a bit worn and a bit looser. Unlike tapered/ordinary joints the sections can't just push together further to take up the wear.

Because male spigots don't push fully home, some reckon on trimming a bit off the worn end to bring the unworn other end in play. I've never done that.

But to guard against wear in the first place, I coat the male joint with a product called Jointsave, made for pole joints. It goes on like nail varnish and puts a kind of non-stick coating on, stopping the carbon surfaces grinding on each other.

Where I have a worn joint - say on a pole joint where you take it apart every time to bait up and land a fish, so wear is inevitable - I coat the male joint in the product and rub it, when hardened, with a bit of beeswax candle. This offsets wear and also takes up the "space" in the joint.

I have a couple of of old rods with worn spigots but the Jointsave and wax deals with the problem. The wear issue has never put me off a rod.

mikench

Reaction score
I took delivery of a new rod today with a spigot joint between the two sections and, having never seen one before, asked the question!

I cannot see me wearing it out more like the opposite!:rolleyes:

nottskev

Reaction score
I took delivery of a new rod today with a spigot joint between the two sections and, having never seen one before, asked the question!

I cannot see me wearing it out more like the opposite!:rolleyes:

What's the new one, then?

mikench

Reaction score
Hardy Marksman Supero 11.6 Avon! Lovely looking rod and quite light at 200g. This is for the tench barbel and Chub Kev or whatever is available!!!

B

binka

Hardy Marksman Supero 11.6 Avon! Lovely looking rod and quite light at 200g. This is for the tench barbel and Chub Kev or whatever is available!!!

Believe me Mike that spigot will see you out :w

john step

Reaction score
My first carbon match rod, a Normark, had a worn down top spiggot after a mere .....do you know I cannot say but it was immediately after carbon rods came out. Maybe 1980??
I fixed it with 2 coats of black cellulose nail varnish. Perfect in use now.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've got spigot joint rods that are the better part of thirty years old and still have plenty of life in them, without ever having to resort to jointsave or wax. Look after them by keeping them clean and even pretty heavy use, over a long period of time, will not be an issue. The most problematical spigot joints I've ever seen belonged to folks that weren't careful enough with their gear. The same folks often have issues with overslide joints because they allow crud to get into the joints.

I've seen the odd case of genuine wear, but you are talking rods of well over thirty years old that have seen more action than John Wayne. The other nightmare scenario I've seen is where an uneducated user has sanded the male part down so that the joint closes up "properly".

The bad one

Reaction score
When I use to do a lot of rod repairs, re-whips, etc for people, I have and did come across worn out joints that we down to being slack. Usually as Chris says down to the owner sanding the male down to make the rod look "cool" with no gap showing between the two half of the blank. The simple fix if it wasn't a full re-whip was to cut off about 5 ml off the female section cutting right through the whipping/epoxy resin, sealing the very end of the whipping with 3 coats of nail vanish. Making sure you didn't get any vanish down inside the blank.

john step

Reaction score
The most problematical spigot joints I've ever seen belonged to folks that weren't careful enough with their gear. The same folks often have issues with overslide joints because they allow crud to get into the joints.

Well thats me then. Truely chastised. I doubt I will change now though.:eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well thats me then. Truely chastised. I doubt I will change now though.:eek:mg:

No chastisement intended, not unless you've had the sandpaper out! The tackle companies need to be kept in business somehow!;) Just don't expect me to buy your second hand stuff.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mike, just keep the joints clear of grit etc and youll be fine bud.
I always check and wipe my joints before and after use, only takes a few seconds to do so it's a no brainer. I always give a good blow or two down the femal section to dislodge anything before assembling the rod.
If it makes you feel better you can rub a candle up and down the spigot which will put a full stop on any ware at all. I've often done that with the male section of both overfit and spigotted rods.
Regarding which is the better joint, spigot or overfit I couldn't say but a lot of top rods are overfit. Possibly the overfit joint will weigh a little less.
If I like the rod i'm happy wether it has an overfit or spigot joint :).
Nice seeing you today Mike, thanks for the advice :).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bloody hell Ian I have never gone that far :eek:mg:

You've never lived then Graham .....:glee:

Plus you don't know who might have been using the hole before you....:eek:mg: lol.

john step

Reaction score
No chastisement intended, not unless you've had the sandpaper out! The tackle companies need to be kept in business somehow!;) Just don't expect me to buy your second hand stuff.

Ha Ha......no one would.:eek:mg:

yorkieman

Reaction score
If the spigot is a better fixing method why is it only high-end rods that use this type.

Maybe it comes down to cost ?