I feel like crying!

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Today I took a trip over to a day ticket lake jam packed with carp and I’ve come away from the venue blanking :(

People around were catching, I even saw couple fish in my swim that danced round my float!

I lost count how many bites I had, I lost 2 fish that were on. Just no idea what I’ve done wrong :eek:mg:

What a terrible day

john step

Reaction score
We all have days like that. I remember sitting on a pit not a million miles from you at Fishers Green. It was a match. The guy to my right had a tench every time he cast out. Me...no bites and a painful blank.

B

binka

I would be counting myself lucky, a water full of carp and you didn't snag up on one of them :peep:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
We've all had days like that - tell me about it! ( many years ago I once lost 5 tench close to double figures in a morning and I don't think I'm over it yet! Never really did work out why...............
Sometimes things just don't go to plan, or we have an 'off' day - who knows? The thing is you were probably not doing too much wrong...

Might I suggest you do a 'barbelboi' and hit a couple of swift JD's, move on, and get back on the bank asap!!

It really doesn't do to dwell on this sort of thing otherwise it will spoil the coming weeks....

(Hopefully you didn't toss the rods in the water?)

Good luck!

I can only suggest

bracket

Reaction score
hammer-jamie. "I feel like crying" Know the feeling well. Back in the old days I got it on the Trent every time I drew one below John Dean. Pete

bracket

Reaction score
Twice as I recall flight. Once on Winthorpe Rack and again some years later, on The Road Stretch. Both times I drew good, they were only low weight section wins, but made me happy. He was some Trent angler was John. There were a couple seasons when he was absolutely unbeatable in the Notts Fed Opens. It was all very depressing. Pete.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Its fishing, when I used to do quite a bit of boat fishing in the channel, 6 in a boat; there was often one who didn't catch. Changing places and rods never worked either. Same when 4 of us were traveling about fishing every week, one wouldn't catch. Its the same with horses, some days no matter what you do you will never back a winner and women come to think of it, given a choice you will always pick the wrong one.
But then there's always those days you get the triple, your the one that catches all the fish, on the way home you drop in the bookies and all your horses have won and then you drop in for a pint and Angela Jolie slopes up for a chat. Maybe not in this life though but there's always the next.

Optimism is what fishing is about, next time it will all be different..

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
These supposedly "easy" fish-filled waters can switch off completely, some days, and it can be on days when there seems nothing remarkable about the weather or conditions. Although I recall that a flat calm, bright day in spring was a common factor in a couple of blanks at a prolific commercial in Cheshire. It's very undermining and makes you wonder what you're doing wrong. But it's likely that what you're doing will catch plenty of fish on any other day. Unless you're regularly catching nothing when all around you are, I wouldn't dwell on it. Last summer, when local rivers were sulking, I made a confidence- boosting visit to a fish-filled local commercial. And caught one weird ornamental thing.

sheffields12

Reaction score
It's been a very slow start to the year so far due to the weather.
I went to my local pond with my feeder on Sunday. Last year I was catching quite a few, and decent sized fish (mainly carp) on the exact same method and bait.
I started ok, decided where I wanted to fish and just chucked it straight out there.... Within 10min I had landed my first fish, a nice little Bream.
It wasn't too long until i was on my next fish, a very nice looking Roach. Then after that, it was a little Tench (I love tench, so always happy to get one).

After that, I literally sat there for hours... no bites, nothing. A few lads around were pulling the odd carp in, but not much.
The fact I went so long without even a bite it what frustrated me.

I just put it down to the **** weather we have had recently and hoping the sun decides to come out soon.

flightliner

Reaction score
Twice as I recall flight. Once on Winthorpe Rack and again some years later, on The Road Stretch. Both times I drew good, they were only low weight section wins, but made me happy. He was some Trent angler was John. There were a couple seasons when he was absolutely unbeatable in the Notts Fed Opens. It was all very depressing. Pete.
I was talking to John in the De Rhodes arms pub in Barlboro a couple of years ago when Jim Baxter did a book signing of his work on waggler fishing. John did a guest chapter along with several Trent greats-- he signed my copy as did Dave Thomas and several others.
Great guys , great days !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I was thinking about this today for some reason and multiplying the different temperatures, weathers, venue choices, swim choices, rig choices, bait choices, species choice you might make on any given day or the conditions could be right or wrong - I came up with 73,728,000 permutations. So, if it doesn't all work out now and then, have a pint or three.
I am stretching it a bit I know, bit of a daft leap from reality, just a whim of my psychedelic brain; not to be taken seriously or literally but it does make you think how much room there is for error and wrong choices, wrong days etc. I mean how many days do any of us have when it all seems to go perfectly with perfect conditions, perfect choices and we catch a shed load of fish, very few I imagine; at least going by the hdygo thread.
However, wouldn't we all get bored if it was so simple and we caught sheds loads all the time (barring those who fish commercials of course who do!!!)--
my calculations went like this:-

4 wind speeds
9 wind directions
4 weathers
4 water temps
4 air temps
5 air pressures
4 water cols
4 moon phases
4 venues
4 swims
5 baits
5 species
4 rigs

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Lots of variables to consider but amongst the most important thing to think about is feed and presentation.

And if all else fails, try sitting between two **** anglers! :)

bracket

Reaction score
Lots of variables to consider but amongst the most important thing to think about is feed and presentation.

And if all else fails, try sitting between two **** anglers! :)

So that's you is it, who keeps plonking his backside in between me and my son in law. Pete.

antiquea

Reaction score
Tackle seems a bit overkill. Matching tackle to the water and fish is everything.

I recently saw a guy fishing about 3 foot over depth with this giant round green float on the end of what looked like a spinning rod. No wonder he wasn't catching.

mikench

Reaction score
I've seen something similar save that the guy, who hadn't a clue was catching , much to the amazement of everyone else!

nottskev

Reaction score
Sometimes you misread the conditions. Sometimes you just lose your mojo for a bit, and have a few c**p sessions on the run. But an especially demoralising one is when you're next to someone fishing abominably and catching more. I took a novice - a former sea angler, stuck inland - with me for a few weeks one summer. His answer to the tactical demands of any peg on running or stillwater was one of those big flat Drennan block-ends. The sort a man targeting barbel with a gallon of maggots might use. It went in like a brick, and the pattern went CRASH.......I've got one on, Kev! Well done, Mate, I'd say, but I was thinking ....bloody hell.