Loading Line On To A Centrepin Reel?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently acquired a mint condition vintage "Strike-Right Hydraflow Reel", and was just wondering how I need to load it with line?

It has a cage type spool/spindle where the line goes, so will I need to pre-fill this with something and lay the line on top of it?

Also how much line will I need to load on it to avoid "Bedding In" problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,
Simon.

S

Shrek

I never used any backing on my 'pin, just tied the line to one of the spindles. I also never loaded more than half a spool of mono onto it, so approx 50 yards.

You're not going to be trotting more than 20 yards, to keep in control, so you won't need a whole spool loading on.

Hope you have great fun with it.

Reaction score
Hi Shrek,

Thanks for your comments much appreciated, I will be fishing the river Thames at Kelmscott/South Cerney, a daft question possibly but when trotting would I be right in thinking that when plumbinmg the depth this is done as per any stillwater?

Also, would a standard 13ft Match Float Rod be ok to use or should I look for something with a little more backbone, the reason I ask is that there are some big Barbel (10-13lb) & Chub (5-6lb) at these places, it is pretty clear of sunken snags as it has plenty of boat traffic. Also would 6lb line be too heavy?

S

Shrek

Plumbing the depth isn't quite the same. You've got to remember you're fishing flowing water so to start with your rig will be set to fish deeper then the water it's in as the flow of the water, especially when you hold back, will lift the hook in front of the float. Also, this will shallow up if the fish come up in the water.

Your rod sounds fine, that's just what I used to use.

You might struggle some if you latch into one of the bigger barbel, but the chub shouldn't be an issue.

6lb line should be OK, but might be worth treating it with some line floatant spray before you start, or using something like Drennan Float Fish which I used to use all the time and had no problems with.

Reaction score
Hi Shrek,

I would say that it has an average depth of around 8/10ft possibly (shallower in some places) with a fairly gentle sedate flow (except after heavy rain), so as a general rule should I set the depth around 1ft over depth or slightly less/more?I only use Drennan Float Fish Line anyway.

S

Shrek

Can't wait to read of your exploits then, go catch them there fish!!!

Muffin

Reaction score
Have a look at this thread I sarted a few months ago, some really great info here:

set up a pin

PS, I have used 4lb line on my pin and have easily managed to land carp upto 15lbs on a lake, and chub over 4lbs on the river, if you think the Barbel will bite then 6lb is probably best, but can be a bit think for general silver fish fishing.

Enjoy!

Simon

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I use a 6lb high tec type line that has the same diameter as 3lbs mono as reccomended by the late and much missed John Ledger.

The one problem i still have though is still putting too much lineonit and getting the old bedding in.