i wanna catch

V

vince battams

lookin 4 advice here guys and gals, local water 2 me poss small head of carp, upper singles upto low doubles even a chance 20, spotted my 1st carp from this water today cruisin the shallows, no signs of others.
would it be worthwhile baiting this area up even if this is the only fish in the area, as it is only shallow and i think close in stealth tactics will be needed as the area of water where the carp was seen is narrow, what set up would be advisable bearing in mind that this lake has a indirect outlet to river some distance away, thus creating a minimal flow, any advice would be gratefully appreciated here.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Vince,
I would try floatfishing overdeapth with enough shot on the bottom to stop the float moving off in the flow (maybe even try the lift method) and continually feed pellets and maggot over the top a couple every 20 - 30 seconds till I saw signs of life. I think maggot is a great bait for all fish regardless of size especially when the water is still warming up, or link legering with a light bobin. If you can see the fish and they are feeding then I'd try freelining the bait to them watching the slack line for bites or again use the bobin, I might even use a small pva bag or mesh if it's realy shallow with some maggots, pellets and corn as casting weight. You could give the baiting a go but I wouldn't over do it untill I was sure how many fish used this area. For hookbait I'd use the usual suspects of worm, bread, maggots,corn and paste.

I'd use an Avon or heavy match rod with about 8lb mainline, 6lb hooklength, size 12 - 8 hook.

HTH.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
If they are starting to cruise, then they’re burning energy, if they’re burning energy they need to replenish this loss. I have had some great success over the last few days with short sessions of up to 4 hours. Are you looking at fishing this venue for long or short sessions? If it’s short sessions then, I’d look to throw out chum mixer very little but often about 15 feet out from your desired swim then slowly but surely bait the same way backwards into your swim. At this time of the year you’ll see fish cruising and timidly taking from the top, later on you’ll find them competing in which case you can bait more aggressively. I’d superglue a hook to a rough edged flavoured cork ball with just one split shot about 2 foot down the line. This will sink the line well under the bait. When floater fishing this time of the year, I’ve had better results with the line sunk beneath the bait as opposed the line being on or near the top. With the line suggestion by Rodney ‘8lb mainline, 6lb hooklength, size 12 - 8 hook’, you should be able to cast out about fifteen meters.

My successes of late have come from stalking within the reeds itself, where the carp’s confidence in taking a bait is far more prolific. Keep a watchful eye on reed movement as they will be cleansing themselves against the stems. If you can get between the reeds, then again place a flavoured cork ball on the nose. Word of warning, be prepared to wade in if fishing these tactics. Hope this helps!

G

Gary Knowles

Floating crust, freelined close to the reeds where you've seen them cruising. Simple but devestatingly effective

R

Roto is paul bax

an even better way would be to get them feeding from the top for about 30 mins and then just lower your line that you have already in place. use a clear bubble float on the end of your line and about 2-3 foot behind this have a 6-12 inch hook link hanging down. the thing is all of your line is out of the water and your bait is on top. therefore your rod is standing up right on the bank, its dynamite method but you have to be on the ball

R

Rodney Wrestt

Paul,
Do you mean like the beachcaster rig with a weight on the bottom up through the float with a link above it, or just a bubble float in the normal use?