Poor start.

dicky123

Reaction score
Has anyone else found the weather has not helped the fishing this season? My tench have been absence until now, with just the odd fish being caught. I've been out several times, at the best times, and only got cold. I even still have my winter suit to fish in?

As an aside, just brought a cracking new brolly from Preston, amazing.

****y.

rich66

Reaction score
Weathers really slowed down my start to the year, I’ve had some nice roach so pleased with them. In fact they’ve given me a lot of excitement and pleasure. So I can’t grumble really.

Brolly wise I’m in the market for a new one so I’ll have a look at the Preston range.

mikench

Reaction score
This year has been poor overall! The flatback brolly is great! I was back in my thermals and waterproofs today!!

john step

Reaction score
Has anyone else found the weather has not helped the fishing this season? My tench have been absence until now, with just the odd fish being caught. I've been out several times, at the best times, and only got cold. I even still have my winter suit to fish in?

As an aside, just brought a cracking new brolly from Preston, amazing.

****y.

Agree 100%.

B

binka

More a case of a non-starter than a slow starter for me this year, due to certain circumstances I've only managed a handful of sessions all year and they've been very unproductive although it doesn't sound like I've missed much.

And here we are, practically halfway through the close season and the Trent hasn't even returned to its normal level yet and that's stemming back to the floods which wiped out the end of the river season.

I must stop checking the river levels on a daily basis during the close season :eek:mg:

thecrow

Reaction score
And here we are, practically halfway through the close season and the Trent hasn't even returned to its normal level yet and that's stemming back to the floods which wiped out the end of the river season

Lots of swims will have changed even more than they normally do due to the prolonged high levels I reckon.

dicky123

Reaction score
Back again today, after an early morning start. Very cold again, sitting in my winter two piece getting some sun for a few hours early on. Then it turned cold and I packed up. Everyone says we are 4 weeks behind, agree too.

B

binka

Lots of swims will have changed even more than they normally do due to the prolonged high levels I reckon.

Yep, I'm pretty used to it now on the stretch which you know I tend to favour but I think you're right and more drastic changes could well have occurred.

I'm actually hoping that one or two swims will have had the silt pushed out of them as they have suffered over the last couple of seasons, I do remember opening day being very high water last year so we might even see a repeat of that yet.

Or am I thinking of the season before? :confused:

Last edited:

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Some Tench have come out of my club waters over the last couple of weeks, apparently - none on the end of my line mind :(. It doesn't help that I can only get out of a Sunday at the moment & the weather has largely been pants!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
47 tench to 8lb came out of one of my clubs waters last month. other club waters did a few but only to 2lb.
I am hoping for a couple tomorrow on a commercial I am fishing, if they don't show, the silver sport is usually good
with a few F1's in the mix as well, I am hoping tonights rain will not spoil the fishing to much. Its been fairly sunny here today and the water would have warmed up, an influx of rain will lower the temp first thing in the morning.

wetthrough

Reaction score
If the wind is anything like it was today you'll have a battle on your hands. Fished Boothsmere in Knutsford today. It would have been easier if I'd been able to fish
either with the wind or against it (on the float) but there was a style half way round the mere! and I didn't fancy unloading and reloading the trolley so back tracked.
Wish I'd taken the trouble now. Blowing a hoolie for most of the day fishing into a crosswind. Managed to catch though. First Bream of the season, 3lb4oz. Talking
of guessing weights, I guessed it at around 3lb12oz but I don't catch many Bream so that's my excuse:D
BoothsMere_20180501_3lb4oz_xsml.jpg

Reasonable catch of Roach. I lose/forget to count after 2 or 3 but probably 8 through the day. Nice fish, all about the same size, 5oz at a guess. I never weigh
Roach unless they look like a pound or more as I weigh them in the net which weighs about 10oz wet. I could probably have swung them in which should give
you some idea of how big but I netted them as they were a bit border line for me. Nice days fishing all the same, if little chilly at times. At least it wasn't wet.

Duh, wrong thread. Should have been "How did you get on" and "style":eek:mg: double duh

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Am on Dunham Fisheries tomorrow, Meeting Mikench there for a days fishing, Was going to take just float rod and feeder rod, decided to take pole instead and an old 7'6" Silstar Kevlar bomb rod, may give that a try out as well to see if its worth taking to Fir Tree Fisheries next week, It wasn't windy around Warrington today, slight breeze.
Mind you we can handle it, get it blowing a gale and we just put a jumper on, :wh

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've fished a lot this last few weeks and although I have caught, results have been so hit and miss. From session to session, even on consecutive days, fishing the same swim with a whole variety of tactics, I just cannot be sure of what I'm going to catch! Checking my diaries, April has always been a funny month for big catches of roach but nothing like this year.
Certainly the prolonged cold weather earlier in the year hasn't helped and having days of warmth in the high teens followed by days (like yesterday!) when the temperature at 8am was only 3 degrees plus it was very windy the whole day. Fast forward to today: Bright sunshine, gentle breeze.................No wonder the fish had the hump!!

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
I'm going to have an afternoon on a Commercial :eek:mg::eek: in the coming days. I just need to get a bite, and feel a bloody fish.

peterjg

Reaction score
Oh well it's not just me. I have been really struggling lately. I blame the weather mostly, also clear water, varying temperatures, wrong wind, otters, cormorants, crayfish; I know all the excuses! Of course I could just be a crappy fisherman!