What was this?

thecrow

Reaction score
I purchased some ready cooked tares the other day as I was in a hurry and the tackle shop hadn't got any uncooked ones, the ones I got were black, now I know that tares can be turned black with an iron supplement but I have always prefered to use bicarb, they were to hard for my liking (I like them to squash rather than split when squeezed) so this morning I decided to cook them some more, while cooking them there was what I can only describe as some sort of toxic fumes coming from them that got in my eyes and in my throat.

Any idea what has been used to turn them is it normal when using an iron supplement?

nottskev

Reaction score
I purchased some ready cooked tares the other day as I was in a hurry and the tackle shop hadn't got any uncooked ones, the ones I got were black, now I know that tares can be turned black with an iron supplement but I have always prefered to use bicarb, they were to hard for my liking (I like them to squash rather than split when squeezed) so this morning I decided to cook them some more, while cooking them there was what I can only describe as some sort of toxic fumes coming from them that got in my eyes and in my throat.

Any idea what has been used to turn them is it normal when using an iron supplement?

Not a tare cooking expert, Graham, but I was told, and it's proved true for me, that when they split when tested they are still undercooked and need a bit longer. When they squash, they're done. Yours sound undercooked. I always found cooking them a bit stressful, so I'm lucky the cooked and frozen ones from a local tackle shop are always dead right.

thecrow

Reaction score
Not a tare cooking expert, Graham, but I was told, and it's proved true for me, that when they split when tested they are still undercooked and need a bit longer. When they squash, they're done. Yours sound undercooked. I always found cooking them a bit stressful, so I'm lucky the cooked and frozen ones from a local tackle shop are always dead right.

Its the first time I have purchased cooked tares (probably the last) but that's how I have always done my own until they squash that's why I cooked them some more this morning but I am unsure whether to use them because of the fumes that came off them.

bracket

Reaction score
Crow. They would be Tares done Salisbury style. Pete.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Most iron tablets are ferrous sulphate and blacken tares very well. TRick is when using it is not to boil it as it stinks as you found.

I do my own tares in a flask, just put a few tares in a flask with a couple of tablets and top up with very hot water and leave for 48 hrs. Come out perfect.

I'm going to try urid beans this year, apparently work very well and a lot easier to get hold of.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Most iron tablets are ferrous sulphate and blacken tares very well. TRick is when using it is not to boil it as it stinks as you found.

I do my own tares in a flask, just put a few tares in a flask with a couple of tablets and top up with very hot water and leave for 48 hrs. Come out perfect.

I'm going to try urid beans this year, apparently work very well and a lot easier to get hold of.

I have used black peas over hemp with good results, soft enough to hook and stay on the cast,

thecrow

Reaction score

Thanks Jason at least I know now, I have never had this problem before with bi carb so I think that's what I will stick with in the future although I never boil my tares I simmer them checking them regularly for squashyness.

rayner

Reaction score
I cook a kilo at a time, one kilo usually lasts me all season. For best quality tares I cook them very slowly in a casserole dish. Then portion them into small bags and freeze. Bicarb for me to turn them black, not that black tares make much difference. It's just the way I was shown as a kid.