Small shot online.

dicky123

Reaction score
I'm looking for a little tool, or pliers that will hold size 8 shot to put on the line. I'm looking at the other shots like style, stotz but as I have plenty of round stuff, would like to use it. I have hands like hams, so need a bit of help.

Cheers.

****y.

nottskev

Reaction score
The one on the left is a little pliers from Hobbycraft. The other one is a Preston Innovation "Stotta" - very good for putting those on.

pl.jpg

wetthrough

Reaction score
I use Orthodontic pliers Orthodontic pliers ,DISTAL END CUTTER,Dental & Lab Instruments British Brand | eBay the Adams spring forming ones. Unlike some 'stainless' tools I've had they just don't rust or tarnish at all.

As for the shot, it might go against the grain but I'd put the round shot to one side for emergencies and switch to Stotz or equivalent. They're so much easier to handle. They grip the line with very little pressure (I'm talking about 8s or smaller). There's very little not to like about them. No 10s or smaller can be hard to get off but there are tools for doing it like the Stonfo Levapiombo Shot Remover although I don't have one. I have heard of people using nail clippers to remove them but haven't tried it. Haven't needed to really.

rayner

Reaction score
Like you I had loads of small sizes of split shot, it's true they are tricky to use. I used to just pick them up and nip them with my teeth to secure them. Then over night they became impossible.
My trick was to use double sided sticky pads to hold the shot split up, place line in the split and nip up with style pliers.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Like you I had loads of small sizes of split shot, it's true they are tricky to use. I used to just pick them up and nip them with my teeth to secure them. Then over night they became impossible.
My trick was to use double sided sticky pads to hold the shot split up, place line in the split and nip up with style pliers.

I make a lot of my pole rigs that way, I have a board with the tape on it at intervals. once the shot/stotz are on ,its just a case of taking them away from the board and slide them into position, also doing that way more or less ensures the slots on the shot are all inline and the rig hangs better,

daniel121

Reaction score
I gave up, switched to stotz and gave all my shots to my lad lol