Freeze Polony?

nottskev

Reaction score
I bought some of this to punch as a meat hookbait. I believe it's a bit firmer than cubed luncheon meat, which gets a bit soft in hot weather. I was wondering if you can freeze it, and if so how it survives freezing. I have to go off my beaten track to buy it, so it would be handy if I can keep it past its fridge date.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would think you could, I have not used it but have refrozen luncheon meat and the bait tech luncheon meat many times over
and its had no effect on its hooking ability, I have frozen the same batch of meat around 5 times and its still ok.
for shelf life meat I use peperami in small discs, that can stay in my carryall for months even if its been opened,

mikench

Reaction score
Kev you can ! I bought several tubes when I last ordered some on line from Asda and it froze very well! I even tasted it and it was what I expected polony to be and I am still here to tell the tale! Asda had it on offer at a very low price so I bought plenty!

nottskev

Reaction score
Kev you can ! I bought several tubes when I last ordered some on line from Asda and it froze very well! I even tasted it and it was what I expected polony to be and I am still here to tell the tale! Asda had it on offer at a very low price so I bought plenty!

Thanks Mike, nice to know. By the way - do you remember liver sausage? It came in the same form/packing, and was an essential component of the bacon, egg, fried bread, sausage, black pudding etc kind of breakfast. I never see it these days. If I do, no fish will be getting any.

mikench

Reaction score
I do! It is still available from delicatessens! I have some turkey and chicken kabanossi which the fish might like , even the tench, but they are too good!

Austrian smoked cheese is also available in the same plastic wrapper and is equally delicious served with matzo crackers or bath olivers! The tench may even approve!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought six bars of Polony late last year from Morrisons for the princely some of 13p a bar. Defrosting some right now for a trip on Monday, doesn't deteriorate with freezing as far as I can tell Kev.