At last something i can use

thecrow

Reaction score
For a few years no i have struggled to tie spade ends in the sizes i want to the line strength i want for them due to having a condition that makes my right hand shake whenever i try to use it. Hooks to nylon don't give me the variety that i want so i have to tie my own.

I have tried all sorts of gadgets from the normal matchman hook tyer to battery operated ones, the former was although simple to use impossible for me to use and the latter gave knots that i found unreliable but that could easily have been down to me.

Having searched the net and looked at all sorts (and prices) i decided to get a WE Products hook tyer, i have nothing to do with this company but thought i would pass on what i found when using it to anyone that also struggles to tie hooks.

Initially i found it a bit difficult to use and left it on the kitchen table to watch the snooker for a while, on returning i started with a larger hook and slightly thicker line and found it was in fact very easy to use and as i worked to smaller hooks and line i ended up being able to tie an 18s to 1.5 lb line something that would have been impossible for me previously. It allows me to do the majority of the work with my left hand only having to use my right for turning the tyer itself.

The only gripe i have with it is that it should have been made with a none slip rubber base but that's something i can sort myself (hope the gaffer wont miss one of her place mats :)

Now i just need to be able to use this loop tier i have purchased :)

mikench

Reaction score
Graham i can resist everything but temptation!:wh Is yours the deluxe or standard version! One can buy a lot of hooks for £50!:)

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Graham i can resist everything but temptation!:wh Is yours the deluxe or standard version! One can buy a lot of hooks for £50!:)

Standard Mike £30 with £5 postage and worth every penny to me, it gives me the ability to use whatever hooklength strength i choose with whatever hooks i choose, if i want to fish say corn with a 14/16 on 2lb i can tie them, or an 18s on 1.5 i can, i can make hooklengths as long or short as i want, it gives me choices that are just not available in hooks to nylon which nowadays seem to be tied to heavier nylon than they used to be, there is also the added benefit of knowing that my quality control will be better than anything that is mass produced.

I will no longer have to compromise on what i use as has been the case for quite a while, there was a time that i could tie a 20 almost in the dark but the dystonia put paid to that.

john step

Reaction score
It sounds like a boon if your hands shake and find a Matcman tier difficult. However is that a Matchman hook tier grafted onto the right end in the photo?

thecrow

Reaction score
It sounds like a boon if your hands shake and find a Matcman tier difficult. However is that a Matchman hook tier grafted onto the right end in the photo?

It is but it is able to be rotated while in its housing, the problem i had with the matchman before was keeping it still this gadget solves the problem as i only use my right hand to turn it the requisite number of turns which leaves my left hand for doing the other bits. i tried for ages to get on with the hand held matchman but gave up in the end.

thecrow

Reaction score
Just to add that now i can tie my own i have ordered one of these for just over £3 i have to wait for it to come from China but i refuse to pay what others in this country are asking for the exact same thing.

free upload

edsurf

Reaction score
For a few years no i have struggled to tie spade ends in the sizes i want to the line strength i want for them due to having a condition that makes my right hand shake whenever i try to use it. Hooks to nylon don't give me the variety that i want so i have to tie my own.

I have tried all sorts of gadgets from the normal matchman hook tyer to battery operated ones, the former was although simple to use impossible for me to use and the latter gave knots that i found unreliable but that could easily have been down to me.

Having searched the net and looked at all sorts (and prices) i decided to get a WE Products hook tyer, i have nothing to do with this company but thought i would pass on what i found when using it to anyone that also struggles to tie hooks.

Initially i found it a bit difficult to use and left it on the kitchen table to watch the snooker for a while, on returning i started with a larger hook and slightly thicker line and found it was in fact very easy to use and as i worked to smaller hooks and line i ended up being able to tie an 18s to 1.5 lb line something that would have been impossible for me previously. It allows me to do the majority of the work with my left hand only having to use my right for turning the tyer itself.

The only gripe i have with it is that it should have been made with a none slip rubber base but that's something i can sort myself (hope the gaffer wont miss one of her place mats :)

Now i just need to be able to use this loop tier i have purchased :)

I have tried all sorts of hook tiers and can still do better by hand , so when my eyes pack up its bought hooks to line for me , but still got a way to go yet.

mikench

Reaction score
Is the matchman tyer included Graham? Mine isn't in the best of condition since I ran over it!!!!

rayner

Reaction score
I have a cheap version of the one pictured.
My one is nothing more than a piece of old skirting board, hook tyer at one end with a cup hook at the other.
You one is akin to a Lamborghini at the side of my butchered one, I've had mine since my health bother.
Very similar to yours, where your hand shakes my right hand refuses to open.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have a cheap version of the one pictured.
My one is nothing more than a piece of old skirting board, hook tyer at one end with a cup hook at the other.
You one is akin to a Lamborghini at the side of my butchered one, I've had mine since my health bother.
Very similar to yours, where your hand shakes my right hand refuses to open.

I did try to make one after watching some home made ones being used on u tube but the on the one i copied from the tube had the tyer loose and i wasn't able to keep it still, i remember you posting some time ago that you had made something to enable you to tie your own, believe me if i could have made one i could use i wouldn't have spent £35, its about what it does not what it looks like imo and if yours does the job its good enough.

john step

Reaction score
I only use hooks I have pre tied or shop bought in tiny sizes when its very cold.
I find it easiest to tie when I am setting up. I either tie direct straight through or if using a lighter hooklength, Ijust loop to loop a hooklength on and the tie against the tension of the rod top.
I find this less fiddly than doing it away from the bank and having to weigh down the spool of hooklength line on the desk.
It might be different in a match situation when speed may be a factor.

rayner

Reaction score
I did try to make one after watching some home made ones being used on u tube but the on the one i copied from the tube had the tyer loose and i wasn't able to keep it still, i remember you posting some time ago that you had made something to enable you to tie your own, believe me if i could have made one i could use i wouldn't have spent £35, its about what it does not what it looks like imo and if yours does the job its good enough.

If there was one about when I made the one I use I'm sure I would have bought one. There must have been one I'm sure, before I got a computer I was like a mushroom, kept in the dark.
Loads have turned up since and some are excellent products. Me being how I am with regard to spending money I just can't bring myself to change and buy one.
Mostly these days I use eyed hooks and tie a knotless, even on small hooks like 20s, 18s, 16s.
I don't know if fish in commercials are suicidal but they don't have trouble taking my baits. Years ago it took me ages before I'd try a spade end, I thought they were too crude.
Dubbed hooks, I just wouldn't be confident enough to use them now.