Types of feeder.

yorkieman

Reaction score
What determines the type of feeder you use.

I personally use the Method feeder for just about everything, but I have others in my box which are wire mesh open ended type.
These were bought s/hand with other bits and pieces when I started fishing two years ago.

What is the main advantage ( if any ) of the wire type.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Re: Types if feeder.

I'd use the cage feeders over method feeders for longer casts, deeper water and rivers.

bezzer

Reaction score

If I'm fishing a large open water and want to fish at distance I'd use a cage feeder. All my river fishing is done with a large cage feeder, although last season I did see a fw more anglers using big method feeders on the Severn.

Method feeders for a short chuck to an Island or feature for me.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score

I'd only really look to use a method feeder on a lake, and then when I'm expecting carp or tench.

Cage feeder on the river - one the wye with a pellet heavy mix for barbel or chub; or on the thames in summer with light fluffy groundbait and plenty of maggots for roach/ bream/ chub/ anything that comes along; or on the thames in winter with liquidised bread for chub.

Used to use a maggot feeder a lot more back in the day, but for some reason I very rarely do these days. Very expensive business and seems to just fill the swim up with the tiniest fish

stillwater blue

Reaction score

I use a cage feeder in shallow water where I don't mind the groundbait starting to exit the feeder on the way down. I fish the plastic open ended feeders in deeper water where I want the groundbait to reach the bottom without leaving the feeder.