Groundbait in blender instead of sieving?

nova12

Reaction score
1 quick question i have a large blender in my garage that i use to dust boilies up for my method feeder pellet mix.my question is could i mix my ground bait up in this before i go fishing save mixing on the bank and save sieving it on the bank? Any body tried it could i blitz hemp seed in there to.?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would say a liquidizer would be better for the hemp, and if using a blender I would have it on medium speed so you can add the water slowly, I have not tried doing groundbait in a blender, the wife is always around, I have my own liquidizer for hemp, bread and luncheon meat,

nova12

Reaction score
Gona give it a whirl tomorow surley make it more fluffy than going through a riddle

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Its not the riddle that makes it fluffy as such, that just removes the thicker parts of the groundbait,
its how good and fast you can mix it to get air in it that will make it fluffy as you put it.
I would try doing small mixes until you get the right consistency. At the moment I am using a ready mixed one
in a foil bag by Sensas, all you do is push it through a riddle to remove lumps, you can push lumps through
as you go along, it is ideal for cupping in or in cage feeder, I am going to experiment with a binder to stiffen it up
for a method/hybrid feeder.

john step

Reaction score
I have to say the riddling of groundbait has always befuddled me. I never have done so. Perhaps I am missing a trick . I have seen the demonstrations live and the videos but this is the puzzle.... It gets riddled to remove the lumps but it doesn't seem to have lumps to start with UNLESS you count the little LUMPS of bait and attractors that either come in the packet or you personally add to the mix.

Does it really make that much difference to the fish. Over to you.

Confused of Lincs.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I have to say the riddling of groundbait has always befuddled me. I never have done so. Perhaps I am missing a trick . I have seen the demonstrations live and the videos but this is the puzzle.... It gets riddled to remove the lumps but it doesn't seem to have lumps to start with UNLESS you count the little LUMPS of bait and attractors that either come in the packet or you personally add to the mix.

Confused of Lincs.

Yes I think it makes a huge difference and is worth the two minutes extra hassle it takes. I tend to mix my groundbait at home so I don't need to carry extra buckets and riddles when traveling light.

When you riddle the mix it puts air into it and removes all those tiny lumps that are the enemy of an active mix. A riddled mix binds better so the balls of groundbait don't break up in fight as easy but yet also allow the groundbait to disperse quicker once on the lake or river bed.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

Confused of Lincs.

If I am fishing breadpunch in the winter, I will put my liquidized bread in the freezer, then after a couple of days back in the liquidizer while frozen, this will be repeated a few times ensuring a finer mix each time, this ensures it will attract but not be as filling as "standard2 liquidized bread, The same principle applies to removing lumps from groundbait, I have riddled Groundbait dry before mixing and removed any large particles of feed,

Richox12

Reaction score
Yes I think it makes a huge difference and is worth the two minutes extra hassle it takes. I tend to mix my groundbait at home so I don't need to carry extra buckets and riddles when traveling light.

When you riddle the mix it puts air into it and removes all those tiny lumps that are the enemy of an active mix. A riddled mix binds better so the balls of groundbait don't break up in fight as easy but yet also allow the groundbait to disperse quicker once on the lake or river bed.

Same as really. I ALWAYS riddle the mix after wetting. If I'm not removing unwanted lumps (remember the large particles etc are ingredients which are supposed to be in the mix anyway) I am making sure the mix is a better consistency. The only time I use a grinder or processor is to make lumps, which I've taken out when riddling a dry mix, smaller so that they pass through the riddle when I don't want to overfeed but still want those ingredients.