Cooked Hemp

iain t

Reaction score
Am meant to be fishing tomorrow with a mate but he can't make it now. I've cooked up 5 pints of Hemp for the trip, now he's not coming ive got too much for me to use in one go. How long will the Hemp last and what the best way to store it before it goes off.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Hemp goes off really quickly, all depends upon temp. I would echo davebhoy, I cook up several pints at once and freeze it in freezer bags along with some hemp water as it prevents freezer burn. Just be aware hemp takes forever to defrost.

cassey

Reaction score
In my Carp addiction days, fermented hemp was an amazing attractor. Stored in a fridge for weeks on end, it stank. Just needed to scoop off the floating scum and load the bait rocket...

iain t

Reaction score
Sounds like it's going in the Freezer then. If that the case am going to cook some more up tonight. A pint or so in a bag for a stockpile for when the river open and a bit of prebaiting.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I cook loads at a time, and as others have said, just freeze it in sandwich bags. Lasts ages just like any other food in the freezer and at a push I defrost it in the microwave BUT GENTLY! I start on 'defrost' for a period (in 30 sec hits) and then check it. I sometimes up it to 'medium' once it starts to thaw.
Never had a problem and I'm usually using it on the hook rather than laying down a carpet so quality is always crucial...

Just remember not to be in too much of a hurry and it will work okay!!

Regarding long term; If I'm going out many times in a two week period I don't freeze it but rather pop it into the fridge, so although it is not 'wronk' as such, it is not certainly not fresh! (You can tell it is losing its freshness as it starts to become sticky, sort of!)

Cassey (above) seems to think it is okay when it is 'high' and who am I to argue!!

cassey

Reaction score
There is a difference between fermented seeds and rotting!!

In the 70's it was an excepted attractor as well as bait.
In Rod Hutchinson's The Carp Strikes Back, he reckoned that one of his best baits is maples when they have started to go and ferment, with a skin on the top.

laguna

Reaction score

In Rod Hutchinson's The Carp Strikes Back, he reckoned that one of his best baits is maples when they have started to go and ferment, with a skin on the top.

Maple peas are still one of the best barbel baits imo. :thumbs:

Back to the hemp... just freeze the extra in bags and defrost as and when you need. A little wiffy is also good too.
If you plan on doing more. Do you have a big pan with a lid? try roasting a few to mix in with some groundbait - it smells divine!

ps. Don't forget the bicarb.

B

binka

Not sure if it's something practical for you to do but I've been meaning for some time to liquidise and strain some freshly cooked hemp, with a view to freezing the milk for use in mixing winter bread mash.

I reckon it could give it a right good boost...

daniel121

Reaction score
There has been debate over the years regarding hemp, many say that fresh cooked hemp is the best, I personally think freezing it does no harm at all. All my hemp is frozen sometimes several times over in the winter.

I've caught well on frozen hemp, got 100% confidence init, I take it out the day before and leave it in fridge on a plate.

stillwater blue

Reaction score

I used to love fermented particles for carp, infact I use to use sugar to speed up the process. However, fermenting hemp I found a swim killer and I did try it more than once.

I do find it off that people can use the same baits with different results, perhaps it all boils down to confidence.:confused:

daniel121

Reaction score
Regarding fermentation if the hemp, all you need to do is give it a sniff you will know when it's 'gone' it's cheap enough just get rid and bring another bag out the freezer. :thumbs:

cassey

Reaction score
Taste, flavour, oils, enzymes, preoccupation? But I don’t buy into "looks like water snails". Who knows, just enjoy it.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Heh. I'd heard that adding crushed hemp to your groundbait works because the oily bits start floating up, dispersing the scent and cloud upwards.

iain t

Reaction score
I've now frozen 20 pints of Hemp in separate bags. Didn't know i could freeze it without bad effect before. I've now emptied the 25k sack. I thought they did something to the seed to stop it sprouting but i have a handful with green shoots from the bottom of the bag. May sew them to see what happens.