losing feeders and floats all the time because of inaccurate casting to far bank

raptor

Reaction score
i'm pulling my hair out and getting really frustrated, i just seem to lose feeders and floats because im always getting snagged and hitting the island when i'm trying to get my feeder or float close up to the island, i either cast too short or way too long and get my rig trapped in a bush or tree, any tips on what im doing wrong? :eek:mg:, ive seen lots of videos which tell me to use a line clip, but wouldnt i have to unclip it after i cast out so that i can give drag if needed :confused:

sagalout

Reaction score
If the target species are small'ish, i.e not big carp, then against an island you shouldn't need to unclip because they cannot swim away from you. If you are fishing for big fish then you mark the line where it needs to be clipped then you can unclip after casting, if you ever need to to recast you clip up before winding in, if you get a run then you can clip up again using the line marker.

The line marker can something tied to the line or a measurement around bank sticks.

wetthrough

Reaction score

nottskev

Reaction score
When you first cast, be sure to drop short. If it looks like you're,say, 5m short (sorry - you don't say if you're casting 15m or 50m), trap the line. Then pull off a couple of metres and clip up. Cast again, this time to the clip, see where you are and if you want to be closer, unclip and add a bit more line. Repeat as necessary. Better to creep up on your island than whack your feeder into the bushes.

on the videos or on the bank, you'll notice anglers who are good at this "stop" the feeder at the limit of its travel with a vertical rod - this stops it in the same place each time and absorbs a bit of the force, so it doesn't go in like a brick.

I don't often fish up to islands like this, but when I do, if the island is no more than about 15-20 m away I prefer to stand up and underarm the feeder in, and find that avoids the need to clip up at all.

raptor

Reaction score
If the target species are small'ish, i.e not big carp, then against an island you shouldn't need to unclip because they cannot swim away from you. If you are fishing for big fish then you mark the line where it needs to be clipped then you can unclip after casting, if you ever need to to recast you clip up before winding in, if you get a run then you can clip up again using the line marker.

The line marker can something tied to the line or a measurement around bank sticks.

As sagalout says, mark your line in some way at the clip, I use a sliding knot but there are other methods. Unclipping and reclipping sound like a right pain to me so if I think I might get a runner I use my Daiwa TDM3012 which has an auto release clip, as yet untested! The MAP reels also have an auto release clip system ACS P4000 FD Reel | Reels | Rods & Reels | Fishing Tackle | MAP | Match Angling Products

When you first cast, be sure to drop short. If it looks like you're,say, 5m short (sorry - you don't say if you're casting 15m or 50m), trap the line. Then pull off a couple of metres and clip up. Cast again, this time to the clip, see where you are and if you want to be closer, unclip and add a bit more line. Repeat as necessary. Better to creep up on your island than whack your feeder into the bushes.

on the videos or on the bank, you'll notice anglers who are good at this "stop" the feeder at the limit of its travel with a vertical rod - this stops it in the same place each time and absorbs a bit of the force, so it doesn't go in like a brick.

I don't often fish up to islands like this, but when I do, if the island is no more than about 15-20 m away I prefer to stand up and underarm the feeder in, and find that avoids the need to clip up at all.

some really helpful replies there guys, Nottskev sorry im still a novice at fishing really, is it just practice to underarm cast accurately? ii'm really bad at casting i dont think i could accurately cast even with the island being only 10-15 metres awayt without risking landing in a bush, underarm casting seems to be just as difficult to me as overarm, maybe because im constantly anxious that im gonna launch it into a bush, i think ill try tying some elastic to mark the line first and steadily creep up to the island like you said before i go down the auto clip reel road, they seem kinda pricey, im a bit confused how that would work, apparently it gives line automatically if a big fish takes but will hold the line when casting a 30g feeder?

wetthrough

Reaction score
"!apparently it gives line automatically if a big fish takes but will hold the line when casting a 30g feeder?"

It pulls it off the clip.

raptor

Reaction score
"!apparently it gives line automatically if a big fish takes but will hold the line when casting a 30g feeder?"

It pulls it off the clip.

but casting a feeder out wont pull it off the clip is that correct?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Correct, in theory at least. It relies on the difference between the line being pulled straight forward when casting and the slight sideways pull when coming from the roller.

raptor

Reaction score
ah ok thanks wetthrough, also sagalout can i ask why you need to clip up before reeling back in?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Just in case you contemplate getting the Daiwa, I think it's only the 3012d that has the auto line clip. The earlier 3012 doesn't afaik.

nottskev

Reaction score
some really helpful replies there guys, Nottskev sorry im still a novice at fishing really, is it just practice to underarm cast accurately? ii'm really bad at casting i dont think i could accurately cast even with the island being only 10-15 metres awayt without risking landing in a bush, underarm casting seems to be just as difficult to me as overarm, maybe because im constantly anxious that im gonna launch it into a bush, i think ill try tying some elastic to mark the line first and steadily creep up to the island like you said before i go down the auto clip reel road, they seem kinda pricey, im a bit confused how that would work, apparently it gives line automatically if a big fish takes but will hold the line when casting a 30g feeder?

We've all been there - trying to get up to the trees but not in them! I only mentioned the underarm cast as it's harder to put too much power into it, compared to casting overhead, where you can easily accidentally launch things a bit far. Sometimes you find that the limited range of an underarm cast is just right for a nearby island or far bank, and the trajectory is lower, so less splash and less chance of ending up in the tree.

Once you get nervous about a cast, things do tend to get worse! It wouldn't be a waste of time to just sit down with open water in front and spend a while just casting, til you get a feel for it and can drop in more or less the same spot at different ranges.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
can I also say, get as close as you can without a hooklength on, it is easier to get off the island without one, then when you have the range you want, add the hooklength, You can also use say a 20 gram lead instead of feeder until again you have the range, then change over to the feeder, the lead is easier to get off the island.

raptor

Reaction score
can I also say, get as close as you can without a hooklength on, it is easier to get off the island without one, then when you have the range you want, add the hooklength, You can also use say a 20 gram lead instead of feeder until again you have the range, then change over to the feeder, the lead is easier to get off the island.

thanks markcw i've never done that before, i'll try it!

sagalout

Reaction score
sagalout can i ask why you need to clip up before reeling back in?
So you are clipped up when you cast out again, but if you are on a normal club/commercial type water you should not need to unclip. Watch some youtube on casting to the clip, you cast (trying to be accurate) pull the rod back behind your head and when the feeder hits the clip you let the rod come forward cushioning the landing. Practice is the only answer once you have the basics in your head.

GT56

Reaction score
I only clip up float fishing casting past the desired area to the clip, then winding back sinking the line counting the number of turns on the reel.

Not really helpful I know but I've always found presenting a float close to an island or any feature extremely difficult and if you land your float in the desired position after sinking the line you've moved the float away anyway.

If I was planning to do any amount of float fishing close to features, I'd look to get into float making first or use a pole.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
So far as I can see, nobody has asked the OP (and he didn't say in his opening post) just how far he is trying to cast!! One minute we are seemingly talking about overhead casting and the next someone is suggesting underarm casting and whilst both do a job the second is restricted to some extent by the rod length and weight being cast.

The second point is, unless I miss my guess, we are talking about an inexperienced angler who is struggling to use a system (casting to an island or whatever) that by its very nature demands considerable knowledge/experience around the gear gear he is using plus almost feel and touch to achieve perfect casting every time. Even then, I have watched very experienced anglers casting and retrieving a dozen times before managing to drop the bait in the desired position, so IMHO I suggest the OP would be better advised to approach his fishing slightly differently and in a manner that reduces the obvious stress and angst the chap is going through.

Not for on minute am I suggesting long distant casting doesn't have its place in angling, but it is NOT the 'be all and end all' of fishing, regardless of species plus the fact that with time and patience casting reasonably close to a feature (without losing tackle!) and then concentrate in bringing the fish to YOU with clever and planned baiting up can work time after time.
I don't doubt the fish on the OP's water roam around the islands but that doesn't mean to say they cannot be persuaded to venture out into open water.

A couple of weeks ago I had two anglers along from me - one casting toward trees and the other halfway into open water. The first spent more time casting than fishing and the second had a relaxed day catching a few carp without the hassle. My advice would be for the OP to reassess his method of fishing and try not to do something that is very, very difficult - even for top anglers!!

Underarm casting; This is something I do much of the time as I fish small waters where overhead casting is not required. I DO cast toward trees and bushes BUT I ALWAYS stay within what can be achieved without hitting trees. Underarm casting is an art in itself and to do it easily the balance between rod length and the weight to be cast is critical. Absolutely no point in using a short rod with small weight (most of the time) to obtain distance, but rather use a longer rod (if possible) and a decent weight with the weight being as heavy as it needs to be to obtain the distance required.
Over the past week I have used an 11' rod with 3/4oz weight to cast to some trees, landing within 3' of them most times. I could've used a lighter weight but that would make reaching the desired spot a little more difficult. Any heavier and I would've probably ended up in the trees!! It is all a question of balance (like most things in fishing) and it didn't take me 5 minutes to get it right, either!!

No, for my money the OP would be better off going fishing with someone who has experience OR forget casting toward tress and fish NEAR to them. Forget all this nonsense about 'you can only catch them if you are 6" away from the trees' and save himself a lot of money and hassle. Everyone has his own way of going about things, but if what you are doing isn't working then try something that does. KEEP IT SIMPLE AND DON'T TRY TO ACHIVE THE IMPOSSIBLE........In other words don't try to run before you can walk!!

QUESTION TO THE OP: Just how far are you trying to cast AND with what tackle?? (Just interested..)

(ps.. The above is only my opinion based on my mere 65 years of fishing. NOT faultless but it works for me. Others will have other ideas, also okay as well..

pps Roughly were do you live OP? Someone on here might be able to do a days fishing with you. Worth asking...

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I support all the major sellers of feeders, leads and other terminal tackle some weeks more than others!:)

Very helful post Tony and one which the OP should find illuminating.

thecrow

Reaction score
Casting accurately is something that will only come with practice, I would suggest that a combination of the advice given by Kev & Tony is the way to go, once you are comfortable with being able to cast to the same spot on open water then and only then would I advise trying to get a nearer the island a little at a time.

Just as an aside, has the use of a line clip negated the need to become an accurate caster?

sagalout

Reaction score
The line clip does not negate the need for accurate casting because you still want to hit the same spot, not three feet to the right or left. If Des Shipp, Steve Ringer, et al, feel the need to clip up then so do I :)