Gelatine baits?

nottskev

Reaction score
This could have been a post for the barbel thread, as that's what I'm thinking of. I made some bait for chub last year, with various ground pellets and flavours mixed into a sachet of gelatine and hot water. The baits were good - hair-rigged or side-hooked, bits torn off or punched out stayed on well and caught fish. I'm not a fish, but I thought the texture more appealing than a hard pellet, with more options for hooking.

I was hoping for a longer shelf-life though; even fridged between outings they soon went a bit mouldy.

Any hints on making bait with gelatine? What would you put in for barbel? How long do yours last? Does a bit of mould matter? Any ideas gratefully received.

thecrow

Reaction score
I believe that gelatine baits were used by Carp anglers years ago with some success, I don't know about how to get a longer shelf life other than freezing if they can be frozen. I reckon that Laguna might be the one to answer that. Just a thought but would salt or sugar help?

I would stick with the pellets even using high oil for just the hook baits, maybe blitz a couple of cans of fish up Sardine or Tuna or even something like mince that had been blitzed as an extra attractor.

mikench

Reaction score
They were recommended in an article in AT a few weeks ago but I cannot recall any comments about shelf life! I doubt any jelly will last long so freshly made may be the answer! Paul Garner used Dr Oettker gelatine and tried fruity and fishy ones!

If I have kept the mag you are welcome to it Kev!

seth49

Reaction score
The Dr Oetker gel used in the AT article, is a vegetarian one, I think gelatine is meat based,from bones if I remember correctly, wether it keeps better than gelatine I don’t know, I did buy a packet but haven’t tried it yet.

The article was interesting with plenty of options to try.

Keith M

Reaction score
Back in the 80s we used to dip pedigree chum mixers in water then strain off the water and keep them for several hours, when they used to swell up and turn a milky white and have a tough jelly texture.

They still floated and we used to fish them suspended up from the bottom anywhere between just above the bottom up to the surface; and we caught loads of fish on these jelly based mixers.
We had to cast with care though as they would occasionally come off the hook if we cast too violently however they stayed on the hook nicely once cast out..

We tried it again a couple of years ago with chum mixers and they no longer seem to be based on the same ingredients and didn’t swell into jelly anymore.

Keith

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
When I was carp fishing in the eighties I used gelatine baits stuffed with casters on stillwaters and had a few fish on them but dropped them in favour of other, more conveniant baits .
If I were to use them today for Barbel I would still use casters or finely chopped luncheon meat, maybe even sweetcorn.

peterjg

Reaction score
I have used gelatine quite a lot when carp fishing. I used to put it in an old saucepan with some liquid flavour then put the warm saucepan in the edge of the lake for the gelatine to solidify in the cooler lake water. On this particular lake (50 acres) I had my own rowing boat and would row out to my 'spot' and spoon the gelatine into the water. Lumps of gelatine (it sinks) in normal water temperatures take roughly 20 minutes to dissolve, leaving flavour but no actual bait in the swim! It worked well.

Flavoured jelly pellets can also be made with gelatine, pond pellets and a bait pump.

Reaction score
One thing that you could try in the bait Kev is Belacan but be warned it stinks to high heaven :painkiller:

The hell with that Graham,smells like a bucket of dead rats,I found it hard to store it without stinking everywhere out,barbel eat most things,so maybe a good boilie base mix would work well gelatined up.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments - there's scope to try a few different things, with little trouble or expense. Funny that belacan came up - I'd just picked up a few sachets from a Chinese supermarket and I was wondering, if I dare open it, what to do with it.

Reaction score
Don't do it Kev,I had mine in two glass jars and a sweet jar,still bloody stunk,had to throw it away in the end,could smell it as soon as I opened the door,the only good thing is it got rid of an a-hole who kept parking in front of my garage,I made a gruel with boiling water and a very small amount and poured it down his vents,never saw him again,can't imagine why.....:painkiller::painkiller::painkiller::cool::wh:thumbs:

thecrow

Reaction score
Another to think about is an essential oil, Mexican Onion, I caught everywhere I used it, I used to cut it with olive oil as it was to strong to use neat, another word of warning though don't get it on kitchen worktops or you wont get rid of the smell.

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
What about Gentlemen’s Relish? Perhaps that could work as an additive, as it is nearly all anchovy. My missus can’t stand it, but then she never reads instructions with food items :eek:mg:

Cheers, Bob

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
Why gentlemen's Bob???

That’s the name of the product, otherwise known as “Patum Peperium”, evidently made since 1828. It’s a spread that you have on hot toast, but only a very thin scrape of it because it’s very strong flavoured. My other half tried a chunk of it on toast and gagged on the taste :)

Cheers, Bob

Last edited:

Reaction score
Try belachan on your toast Mike,you will never eat again and you certainly won't be called a gentlman....;)