Nicknames you make up for other anglers you encounter

Another Dave

Reaction score
Thread inspired by

This is the third time I have fished there and I am starting to recognise some of the regulars, the mallet men, fluorescent jacket man, whip man who seems intent on trying to cast to the horizon with a 2 dust shot float and clap man who claps every time a duck goes near his swim, its really entertaining :)

One i remember from my teenage years is a middle aged bloke we used to encounter at Boreham Pit 2, "P*** in the Swim Geezer". Whenever we stopped by his swim for a chat, or he visited us, you knew what was soon going to happen.

Another was a kid whose sole aim in life seemed to be boring everyone to death by overstaying his welcome, like a bad smell that refuses to be wafted. Hence "The Fart" was born.

What names have you coined for other characters on your waters?

mikench

Reaction score
John Motson and Peter O'Sullivan, two guys who give a running commentary all day either about themselves or other anglers, at a volume where everyone can hear! Some of it is funny! The former wears a fur type coat from the 70's for some reason!

Another guy I call the dam buster as his casting is so wayward you can be in danger from a method feeder as it lands in the water at your feet and he is sat at 9 o'clock to your 6! Sadly he is one rod short of a quiver so I let it go!

thecrow

Reaction score
There was "umbro man" so called because no one knew his name and he always wore an umbro coat no matter what the weather.

There was also "the disciple" who followed other anglers about into swims where good fish had been caught.

One other that was from the same water as the other two, he was called "the ******" who was caught in the act one evening by a bailiff.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have to add a nickname that I got while fishing in the Netherlands, a Dutch angler I had been chatting to spoke to my friend and told him he had been speaking to his dad :) so I instantly became "pops"

chrissh

Reaction score
We have named a few in our club
Splash he is the one that is always falling in the water 2 or 3 time a year. Smash He has broken more rod tip & landing net handles then the tackle trade a supply. Noddy he turns up on the bank sets all his gear up cast out sits in his chair and fall asleep. And every fishery has the tackle tart

sagalout

Reaction score
3lb man, no matter how many times he had told you, every time he spoke to you he would say "I only ever fish with 3lb line, surprising what you can land on 3lb line, I had a 14lb carp on 3lb line"

john step

Reaction score
Napolian. The little strutting bailiff with no manners whatsoever.

Sick Note. Always moaning about some ailment or other.

B

binka

Ratchet man!

He had an annoying tendency to use the ratchet on his 'pin whenever he was playing a fish, just in case no one had noticed he had one on.

Took me ages to realise they were on about me :wh :laugh:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The bloke Neil1970 and I often see around local fisheries who we hope didn't see us. Has a habit of showing pictures of all the fish he's caught and shattering the peace.

'Bloke with the loud voice'

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know the names of all the folks I see with any regularity, no need for nicknames. I can recognise quite a few of them from several hundred yards away just from the way they walk.

Another Dave

Reaction score
We knew the name of the authoritarian club 'bailiff' but among ourselves he was simply 'W****r Bailiff'.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The way Mikench and Wethrough were catching at Lloyds meadow recently and on a first visit,
if they had been with a small club I am in they would have been called Bandits, I don't know why the name came about, it seemed to stick to one particular angler who was doing well every time we went to a new venue,

dicky123

Reaction score
Most other anglers, the rude quite brooding kind I've developed a system for nicknames. It goes like this.

Nobb 1, Nobb 2, Nobb 3 and so on. I really don't know about you guys but most I meet are gracious and pleasant. The odd ones that seem to think fishing is akin to being in the SAS I give a wide berth.

Rich.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My best mate Richard has a masters degree in sarcasm and borderline Tourette’s syndrome.

We were fishing Waylands Farm in Sussex. Opposite us sat a West Indian dad and his two kids. My mate had remarked previously about the West Indian guys he worked with on the buses being named after the first thing their parents saw when they first arrived in this country, having disembarked from the Windrush. He went on about the amount of men that were named after petrol station signs; Cleveland, Driscol and Devon, being just some that came to mind.

A little later I noticed the guy had come round to have a chat with him. Richard said;”see that guy, I used to work with him at Catford bus garage, his name’s Nylon he’s a nice guy. His kids are very polite too, little Perlon and his older brother Dacron.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Specihunter

Reaction score
When I fished a lake outside oxford we had angry man who could be heard all over the lake. Then I don't know how this couple just joined then somehow got on the committee and closed down a swim, whom I called tweedle dum and fat bitch. Yet everyone knew who I was on about and I don't think a lot of people liked them. Plus she was another loud one whom could be heard all over the lake.

peterjg

Reaction score
There was a bloke in a club I was in that was so thick that I used to call him "Single Cell" - if he had another brain cell he would have had a matching pair!